PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the whole proper diet thing.

JBrehm
01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Im 17 right now, and only recently have i ever really cared about diets, not the kind to lose weight, i'm very lean/athletic with a little muscle. but i'm not starting to do serious weight lifting as opposed to regular weight lifting so i want a diet that will allow me to gain as much strength and a bit of size as possible. so considering i know NOTHING about proper diets except what i see on the food pyramid, please explain to me basically how to eat, what to eat, when to eat it, how much of it to eat. I'm currently 5'10-11", 140-150 pounds. anything anyone has to offer will be greatly appreciated, but keep in mind i don't have too much money to spend on extra stuff, so keeping it simple will be the best, thanks!

EdgarMex
01-27-2005, 01:18 PM
this thread is a good start:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

ryuage
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
:withstupi

emjlr3
01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
um, 4-6 small meals a day with lean protein and both starchy and fibrous carbs, for your weight shoot for about 2500-3000 calories a day if u want to bulk up a bit, stay away from all fats

EdgarMex
01-27-2005, 05:51 PM
um, 4-6 small meals a day with lean protein and both starchy and fibrous carbs, for your weight shoot for about 2500-3000 calories a day if u want to bulk up a bit, stay away from all fats

Since when are ALL fats bad?

getfit
01-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Since when are ALL fats bad?
:withstupi

snowster900
01-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Hehe i see a fight coming. :lurk:

AdmiralDan
01-27-2005, 07:37 PM
i'm just going to settle it before anything bad happens. if you want to see a fight, chech out the chris mason/dirt fight. anyway, there are good fats that should be consumed, like those from peanut butter and olive oil. different people suggest different amounts but usually somewhere between 20-60 grams a day

waynis
01-27-2005, 07:45 PM

starchy carbs? You can't just throw out caloric needs without more info. No fats? :eek:

JBrehm
01-27-2005, 09:57 PM
thanks, could someone give me an example of what exactly to eat for an entire day? also could someone tell me how many grams or servings of each kind of food i need to bulk? i also am able to get protein shakes and have 1 or 2 a day i think.

AdmiralDan
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
do you know how to do anything on your own????????

mabye you should try to write up a sample day for your diet and then have us critique it. that way you learn along the way too

JBrehm
01-28-2005, 01:53 AM
thats just the thing, i don't know where even to start. i'm *NEW* to this. but ok, i'll try... this is if i had a 6 meal a day thing (or more like, smaller normal meals and larger snacks in between) first, regular oatmeal with some kind of fruit or two, maybe a couple pieces of bread. second breakfast, 3-6 eggs, normally scrambled, with some toast, more fruit. maybe a bagel with cream cheese also. lunch, could be anything, often i'll eat something with a can of tuna with it... like bagel with tuna and cheese toasted on top.. or some pasta with tuna and some kind of sauce maybe... or a sandwich with buddigs turkey cheese lettuce, maybe tomatos. and i'll also have a serving or two of veggies. second lunch will normally be a couple of hours before i lift so i just eat a bunch of different kinds of carbs for energy, prolly some veggies and/or fruits. dinner (full meal thx to my mom..) always consists of (from largest to smallest portion) pasta or some kind of grain and a roll, some kind of meat, either chicken or fish normally, sometimes steak, a salad. after dinne i normally munch a lot just through out the night so, i might have a pb sandwich, some fruit or veggies, often canned soup (i'm addicted to soup). and thats about it, this is gonna be fun seeing you guys fix my diet... i hope no one gets too seriously stunned from looking at my "diet"...

Tafman
01-28-2005, 05:50 AM
smoked salmon slices. cost a $hitload, but best tasting fish i ever had cold. got hooked on it on vacation b/c food was free so thats what i ate by the stack.

AdmiralDan
01-28-2005, 06:16 AM
it looks alright. what is the breakdown? how many grams of protein, carbs, and fats do you consume. knowing that will help us to critique your diet

emjlr3
01-28-2005, 06:20 AM
ROFL, what i wrote was ina nut shell, and yes all fats are bad, though soem do have benefits, and some are not as bad as other, just because it is unsaturated doesnt mean that it still isnt fat, and yes they are much better then saturated though, what i should have said was to stay away from saturated fat and eat others in moderation

rofl i cant believe you guys jumped down my throat for writing 3 lines down, i could go on for pages but i really didnt care to, ive learned on my own through research and there is no reason that kid couldnt either, i merely pointed him in the right direction, did i not?

snowster900
01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
no

TheGimp
01-28-2005, 11:30 AM
yes all fats are bad

You have a LOT to learn. Fat is an essential macronutrient. Fat is required for proper hormone production (have you heard of something called testosterone?) and a multitude of physiological processess.

Cubby
01-28-2005, 11:32 AM
I like this quote on eating
"Eat everything. Eat your friends' food, eat your girlfriends' food, eat unattended food. Frighten people when you eat. Mothers should actively be keeping their children away, for fear you might eat them." - Paul Stagg on how to gain weight
(From EdgarMex's sig)

getfit
01-28-2005, 11:33 AM
You have a LOT to learn. Fat is an essential macronutrient. Fat is required for proper hormone production (have you heard of something called testosterone?) and a multitude of physiological processess.
yup! i agree!

JBrehm
01-28-2005, 12:44 PM
so basically, just eat? all the time? (not stuffing myself but not letting myself get any kind of hunger feeling) but only eat healthier stuff and no saturated fat or junk food? i also heard i ought to intake my weight in grams of protein a day? i thought having too many grams of protein was bad for you?

TheGimp
01-28-2005, 12:53 PM
so basically, just eat? all the time?
You will have to experiment to determine quite how many calories you need to eat a day in order to gain weight. Track your diet for a few days and evaluate whether you gain weight, and if it is too much or too little.

but only eat healthier stuff and no saturated fat or junk food?
A certain amount of saturated fat is good for testosterone production. Aim for no more than 20g a day. If you really struggle to gain weight then junk food can help but otherwise it is best to avoid it.

i also heard i ought to intake my weight in grams of protein a day? i thought having too many grams of protein was bad for you?
Aim for 1g/lb of bodyweight in protein. Protein is only bad for you in these quantities if you have pre-existing kidney problems, it is certainly no where near excessive under normal conditions.

waynis
01-28-2005, 02:05 PM
ROFL, what i wrote was ina nut shell, and yes all fats are bad, though soem do have benefits, and some are not as bad as other, just because it is unsaturated doesnt mean that it still isnt fat, and yes they are much better then saturated though, what i should have said was to stay away from saturated fat and eat others in moderation

rofl i cant believe you guys jumped down my throat for writing 3 lines down, i could go on for pages but i really didnt care to, ive learned on my own through research and there is no reason that kid couldnt either, i merely pointed him in the right direction, did i not?

well in a nut shell all fats are not bad. You should try to avoid saturated fats completly. When you post something like that to a person who doesn't know anything they will believe you, so what you write is takin very seriously on a board like this because it can mean someones health. You pointed him no where near the right direction. Don't stop learning cause obviously you have a lot more learning to do.

JBrehm
01-28-2005, 05:20 PM
well in a nut shell all fats are not bad. You should try to avoid saturated fats completly. When you post something like that to a person who doesn't know anything they will believe you, so what you write is takin very seriously on a board like this because it can mean someones health. You pointed him no where near the right direction. Don't stop learning cause obviously you have a lot more learning to do.

ok, i'm not THAT naiive, i know fats a good, most anything is good for you in the right quantities, the thing is, i don't always know those right quantities

Vido
01-28-2005, 11:37 PM
different people suggest different amounts but usually somewhere between 20-60 grams a day

20-60g is a low fat diet...most people do not suggest this. Fat should make up 20-30% of your total daily calories. If you're only eating 20-60g, that would mean your diet is 900-1800 calories. Maybe if you're a girl AND you're cutting that would be sufficient.

Thank-you, I'm glad someone knows what they're talking about.

emjlr3
01-30-2005, 09:11 AM
u guys are mean, i dont even feel like argueing with u

Vido
01-30-2005, 01:45 PM

Quite simply, don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

If you choose to ignore this very basic rule, expect to hear about it.

Jasonl
01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Becuase you know you're backed into a corner and cannot win this "disagrement." Search pubmed, google, all BB forums, etc. on why fats are essential for a healthy body. Look for information pertaining to EFAs, why fat is essential for testosterone production, normal body fuctions, cellular heath, etc....

CraigVA286
01-30-2005, 02:50 PM
A boost in fat boosts your testosterone which boosts your results

You should eat a lot of good fats mono/poly unsaturated and eat a lot of them if you are bulking or cutting. A lot of those fats are good for mobilizing other fats to be burned. Combine a lot of fats and proteins and hiit you can have an easy bulk