PDA

View Full Version : Whey protein after running?

fixationdarknes
01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I just got my whey protein from the store today, and I have a few questions.

#1- I workout at school, so I'm planning on making the shake before I go to school. Is it necessary to keep it cold? If so, should I put it in the freezer before I go to school so that by the time I take my shake around 10 or 11 am, it will be at a nice cool temperature?

#2- Should I take my whey after I run, or only after my weightlifting workouts?

waynis
01-27-2005, 07:41 PM
1. YOu don't have to keep it cold.. Just room temperature. If you have a small lunch bag cooler you can throw it in there.

2. Yes you want protein after you run so that you control the cortisol release.

fixationdarknes
01-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Alright, thanks. But I also have a few more questions. :p

#3- Do I take whey on off-days?

#4- The whey protein jar that I got says to mix one scoop with 4-6 oz. of water. If I mix it with more water (like 12 oz.) and drink it all, does that have the same effect as if I had 4-6 oz. and drank that all?

#5- Is it okay to drink my whey with a granola bar or something like that?

#6- How long after my workout should I take the whey? Immediately after? Or should I wait a little bit longer?

AdmiralDan
01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
3) use it as a supplement. if you can't get enough protein from whole foods then go ahead and use it on your off days

4) you are getting the same amount of powder so yes it will have the same effect

5) yea, you can drink it with a granola bar, or with a banana or whatever else you could possibly think of

6) take it immediately. it will get into your system and counter catabolism faster

waynis
01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
:withstupi

fixationdarknes
01-27-2005, 09:01 PM
3) use it as a supplement. if you can't get enough protein from whole foods then go ahead and use it on your off days

Since I'm not working out on my off-days, when would be a good time to take the whey, since I'm normally taking it after my workout.

Adam
01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
when you get up, and near supper.

AdmiralDan
01-27-2005, 09:05 PM
when you need it. i use it since i am in college, living in the dorms. i have to manage. i use it when i have to go more than 4 hours between meals. i split the difference and drink it then, along with an apple. it adds another small meal/snack to keep my metabolism up and spread out my calories. if you can, try to get whole food though, nothing beats whole food

Adam
01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
^^^^^ good advice.

waynis
01-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Since I'm not working out on my off-days, when would be a good time to take the whey, since I'm normally taking it after my workout.

I'd say morning to prevent catabolism as soon as possible. But like dan said if you are going hours between food definetly take a shake as needed :cool:

fixationdarknes
01-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Adam- Are you saying to take it twice a day? Is that what people do? I've always thought that most people just take whey once a day. :confused:

And when you guys say to take it in the morning, does that mean that I should eat breakfast an hour or two after that? Or should I take the whey and then eat breakfast with it (leaving less room for the actual breakfast)?

Sorry I ask a lot of questions. I did try searching, but haven't got most of the answers I am looking for.

Manveet
01-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Adam- Are you saying to take it twice a day? Is that what people do? I've always thought that most people just take whey once a day. :confused:

And when you guys say to take it in the morning, does that mean that I should eat breakfast an hour or two after that? Or should I take the whey and then eat breakfast with it (leaving less room for the actual breakfast)?

Sorry I ask a lot of questions. I did try searching, but haven't got most of the answers I am looking for.

Whey is not some sort of miracle drug. It is protein, not unlike the protein you find in real foods, such as milk. You can have whey as much as you like/need. The only drawback is that it gets digested quickly, so if you are going to have a shake at other times of the day, be sure to mix it with milk, or have some natural peanut butter with it.

Holto
01-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Rule #1: eat often

Rule #2: make sure each meal has at least 20 grams of protein, if it dosen't have a shake with the meal

waynis
01-28-2005, 02:09 PM

If you take a whey shake in the morning it should be the first thing you take in. Chug a shake then proceed to eat breakfast after. If you get enough protein that you need in a day there's no need to take it more then once a day. Half before, half after, or just after workout is ideal.

fixationdarknes
01-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Alright, thanks guys. You really do help me out a lot. :cool:

Atomical
01-28-2005, 07:55 PM
It's better to have a balanced shake with some carbs after you work out. All the carbs go to your legs anyways.

fixationdarknes
01-28-2005, 10:17 PM
It's better to have a balanced shake with some carbs after you work out. All the carbs go to your legs anyways.

Well, I drink the whey with a balance bar actually.

Vido
01-28-2005, 11:30 PM
2 people in this thread have said take whey first thing in the morning. I'm under the impression that's not a good idea, as most of it will get converted to carbs. It is therefore recommended to have a whole food source of protein in the morning. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Shao-LiN
01-29-2005, 01:22 AM

Whenever the hell you want. It digests much faster than most, if not all, whole food, but it's like asking when you should eat chicken on your off days. It's food in powder form.

Shao-LiN
01-29-2005, 01:23 AM

All the carbs go to your legs?

ryuage
01-29-2005, 10:00 AM
werd

PredatorX
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Myself, I'm on a limited budget food-wise, as a student. I find the easiest way to get a decent amount of daily protein is with fortified milk. The milk I buy is about 6 grams/protein per 100 ml, and I usually drink around a litre, perhaps a little less per day. That gives me 50-60 grams of protein without even eating. I also have whey with my cereal in the morning, about 20 grams of protein worth, and lunch and dinner generall have a decent amount of protein from mince, chicken, pies - bad I know, but they're cheap - roast beef, or tuna. I also take whey after any decent physical exercise or a workout.

The real key for me though is the milk. It's only a few cents more expensive than regular milk for twice the protein. When whey is expensive and I'm trying to spare it, I just drink more milk.

PredatorX
01-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Eggs are the other key, dirt cheap and I love omelettes :)