PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is whole wheat bread?

Collegekid
01-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I know that even 100% whole wheat bread has a GI almost as high as white bread. However, if it's eaten as a sandwich, with lean meat, cheese, etc, would it still be that harmful?

I'm just asking because it's really the most convenient thing to have for lunch in my particular circumstance (college...)

getfit
01-30-2005, 02:24 PM
i don't see any harm in eating whole wheat bread

manowar669
01-30-2005, 03:55 PM
There's a lot of variation in wheat breads, even "whole wheat bread". Technically, if the label says 100% whole wheat, it's supposed to be whole wheat, but read the labels anyway. Some are made with enriched bleached flour (bad stuff) and just colored to look like whole wheat. Others have added high fructose corn syrup (more bad stuff). And stay away from "honey wheat" and such, just means "more sugar added". Find a good brand, and stick to it.

MrWebb78
01-30-2005, 04:59 PM
if im not mistaken orowheat and earthgrains are two popular brands that are quality wheat bread. orowheat tastes better so i usually stick with it.

waynis
01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
There's a lot of variation in wheat breads, even "whole wheat bread". Technically, if the label says 100% whole wheat, it's supposed to be whole wheat, but read the labels anyway. Some are made with enriched bleached flour (bad stuff) and just colored to look like whole wheat. Others have added high fructose corn syrup (more bad stuff). And stay away from "honey wheat" and such, just means "more sugar added". Find a good brand, and stick to it.

very true. I was looking for some pita bread and it says 100% whole wheat on the front of the package. IN the ingredients it says 100% whole wheat but also says enriched wheat flour. You wanna stay away from anything that says enriched because it's not going to be 100% whole wheat.

I buy from the Vermont bread company. They make 100% natural un-denatured breads. They also make breads with no wheat gluten which some people have problems with. I highly recommend their breads.

smalls
01-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Just check the ingredients and not just the label. If it's real wheat bread it's fine.

Collegekid
01-30-2005, 06:42 PM
The cafeteria here has Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat. However, it does have High Fructose Corn Syrup, so that sucks.

smalls
01-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Check the nutritional info, i gaurentee it doesnt have more than 2 grams of sugar per piece of bread. Absolutley nothing to worry about.

dissipate
01-31-2005, 06:48 AM
over here the wholemeal bread is only 50% wholemeal flour. major suckage.

Vapour Trails
01-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Yes, if you eat whole wheat bread you will get diabetes, go blind and and die in 3 hours.

Sheesh

Vapour Trails
01-31-2005, 11:44 AM
very true. I was looking for some pita bread and it says 100% whole wheat on the front of the package. IN the ingredients it says 100% whole wheat but also says enriched wheat flour. You wanna stay away from anything that says enriched because it's not going to be 100% whole wheat.

Enriched means they added some vitamins, that's all.

Shao-LiN
01-31-2005, 10:06 PM
The cafeteria here has Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat. However, it does have High Fructose Corn Syrup, so that sucks.

I wouldn't worry about 1-2g of it, unless you are obsessive compulsive, then obsess away.