PDA

View Full Version : Insulin for dummies

ElPietro
11-20-2001, 02:26 PM
Ok well although insulin has sorta been talked to death about, I gather that a lot of people aren't 100% sure exactly when they need it or when they don't need to spike it, etc. I have a basic understanding of insulin (not all conclusive) but I won't bother typing it in as I've created this thread in hopes to have an all-encompassing 'be-all, end-all' discussion on this subject. I've done some searching on Insulin and ALA and other supps that aid but haven't found all the answers.

It seems that when this topic comes up as a question a lot of people spout off verbatim what others have answered but if there is any technical questions only a few truly have a grasp on the science behind this. So i'll throw out some questions that are pretty generic and hopefully we can get some good answers and no digression as we can point to this thread when others have questions on this topic.

One last thing I would ask before I ask some of the general questions is that if you get into a very scientific explanation that you summarize in layman terms at the end so people don't have to continually read the post and then ask more questions regarding your statement. If you feel you are knowledgeable and see something you feel is incorrect then speak up so we can get the goods on this.

Ok here we go:

1) If I'm bulking insulin would aid/hinder me in what way?

2) If I'm cutting/losing weight should I be concerned with insulin levels, and should I or shouldn't I cause a spike, and if so when?

3) What supplements are out there that can directly affect insulin related processes? and how do they work? (ala, etc)

4) Is there anything else important about Insulin that I should know that hasn't been covered by the 3 previous questions? If so what? If not thanks for your response.

Well that's all I can think of at the moment. I think this topic comes up a lot and definitive answers have been far and few between, so let's try and make a good resource thread so that the answers as we see them can all be in one spot.

the doc
11-20-2001, 06:13 PM
i dont think he wants to inject it

Wizard
11-21-2001, 03:03 AM
1)If you're bulking isulin will help you.It's all about timing.Go with low-med GI carbs for all the meals exept from the postworkout meal when you may have high GI carbs to aid in a faster recovery.

2)When cutting you should try to have low GI carbs to keep your insulin levels low.

3)ALA:Mimics insulin,enhances glucose utilization,lowers blood sugar levels.
You also can try chromium picolinate to control blood sugar levels.
Another supp is vanadyl sulfate whic is a compound designed to mimic the effects of insulin.

4)Sure there are 100s of questions about insulin that have not been covered but the ones you posed are good and basic.

Wizard
11-21-2001, 07:38 AM
Cool! What a fair play :D

El Pietro,she thought that you were considering the use of insulin and I'm pretty sure for it.

ElPietro
11-21-2001, 07:43 AM
Hahaha...no I'm not at that point yet... :D no this is more on the much talked about subject of GI and spiking where there is a little bit of info in each thread but there isn't any big overall post or thread where people can come for scientific or layman's term answers to most of the questions...I figured if we got through this then we could always answer insulin questions with a link to here...since I'm not very knowledgeable in the subject I was curious too. I understand insulin spiking in a Bulking/maintenance scenario but I don't think we've done a good job addressing it in a cutting/weight drop scenario.

I deleted my post....I'll delete this post at the end of the day too to keep things clean...

Wizard
11-21-2001, 07:49 AM
I you collect all the q's and answers about insulin and GI that have previously been posted,I'm sure that you'll have a lot of good info on your hand.Maybe it's a good subject for a future article.