PDA

View Full Version : Do calorie calculators really work

Beavereater
01-31-2005, 09:43 AM
I've used a couple, putting in my stats recently. It says in order to lose weight I should be eating 3600 cals per day. Since August last year I've been trying to maintain a 2500 cal. Should I just go ahead an increase my cals by 1000 or should I keep going with what I am doing?

4355 cals is what they say I should take to bulk...just sounds too much. Anyone...

Jabberwocky
01-31-2005, 01:31 PM
I think your fine where you are at. 3600 sounds like the amount you should take in to maintain.

Shao-LiN
01-31-2005, 10:05 PM
The "calculators" or formulas can give you a guideline, but no one person is the same as the next (unless you're identical twins or something). In the end, you will adjust until you get the response from your body that you desire. If you are cutting and are not losing weight, lower calories gradually until you are. If you are eating obscenely low calories, then raise back up to your theoretical maintenance level and then start cutting the calories down gradually again. No formula can definitively tell you what your body will do.

Adam
01-31-2005, 10:06 PM
^^^^^^
What he said:thumbup:

JimboJones
02-02-2005, 08:10 AM
On a related note, I started cutting about 5 weeks ago, eating 2000-2200 calories/day (calculator said I needed 2500 baseline and an average of about 3000 including lifting/cardio) and I've noticed in the last week that my appetite has dropped considerably, so that I could probably tolerate 1600-1800 calories/day. Is this an indication that my metabolism has slowed way down and, if so, what should I do to boost it back up? I have cheat meals twice per week (although I skipped the last couple because I took in a lot of extra calories from alcohol). Should I keep eating to get to 2000-2200 even if I'm not hungry?

Also, I'm curious if anyone has gotten super lean without ECA stacks, etc. I'm trying to do this naturally, but after talking to some people who have basically achieved my goals it seems they're all on supplements (I cycle creatine occasionally and take whey + multivitamins, but that's it).

Holto
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Since August last year I've been trying to maintain a 2500 cal

if this amount of cals allowed you to maintain then increasing will cause you to gain

or are you losing weight on 2500...if so how fast ?

as long as you are losing no more than 1-2lbs/week your straight