PDA

View Full Version : Can of Tuna Everyday!!!

FighterInSnatch
01-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Ok,
Im on a budget when it comes to protein. For lunch everyday, I have my post workout Whey Shake , 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a can of tuna. I'm addicted to tuna i think. Its the cheapest meat and the quickest to prepare. Does anyone else have any other cheap way of eating meat protein. Thanx.

Jabberwocky
01-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Main thing is to watch ads every week. Often you will find chicken buy 1 pack get 1 pack free, and god some frozen fish is way way cheap.

I did the Lentil thing for a while about 20 gr. of protein per serving 8 servings in a bag 64 cents a bag.

Tafman
01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
i go to one of those stores where u have to put in a quarter into the shopping cart to use it. the food there is dirt cheap. usually get 3 cans of tuna for a buck.

Guido
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't eat too much tuna, bro. Most tuna, while generally very good for you, also contains mercury, which can cause minor brain damage in enough quantities. Once a day is fine but I wouldn't be eating it at every meal.

Read this (http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv4.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=444067&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=162689&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333139)

smalls
01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't eat too much tuna, bro. Most tuna, while generally very good for you, also contains mercury, which can cause minor brain damage in enough quantities. Once a day is fine but I wouldn't be eating it at every meal.

Read this (http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv4.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=444067&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=162689&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333139)

Most tuna sold these days is dolphin safe, meaning it is farmed, meaning the mercury levels are much lower. I eat at least 2 cans every day. Look for cases on sale, sometimes you can find it 4 for a buck, can't beat it.

Unless your in your mommys belly you dont have too much to worry about when it comes to tuna related mercury.

Stupendous
01-31-2005, 04:26 PM
If you got one nearby, Sam's Club or Costco is where to shop.

Jasonl
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Most tuna sold these days is dolphin safe, meaning it is farmed, meaning the mercury levels are much lower. I eat at least 2 cans every day. Look for cases on sale, sometimes you can find it 4 for a buck, can't beat it.

Unless your in your mommys belly you dont have too much to worry about when it comes to tuna related mercury.
Yup, my friend's mom works at for the state of Washington in the health dept. and says typically, while it's not really a problem unless pregnant or very sensitive, the chunk light tuna varieties have almost no mercury in them.

Optimum08
01-31-2005, 05:02 PM
if you are a member of sam's or costco u can get tuna in bulk (as stated above) as well as canned chicken....basically same as tuna but with chicken instead...a snap to prepare and close to 60g. protein per can i think (maybe more)....

smalls
02-01-2005, 12:46 AM
if you are a member of sam's or costco u can get tuna in bulk (as stated above) as well as canned chicken....basically same as tuna but with chicken instead...a snap to prepare and close to 60g. protein per can i think (maybe more)....

I used to get tuna at places like this, but actually if you find the right sale, a normal supermarket will be cheaper. Just be sure to by 100+cans at a time. My record is 160 at one time, give or take on or two.

Vido
02-01-2005, 01:13 AM

I don't know if it's different in the US, over even in other parts of Canada, but Costco is probably the worst place to buy tuna around here. It will be cheaper if it's on sale at a grocery store (although they usually put a limit on the number of cans you can buy), but I find the cheapest tuna is at Shoppers Drug Mart to be honest...I can't remember if it was $.50 or $.60/can, but it's cheap.

GMCtrk
02-01-2005, 05:05 PM

god you are so misinformed. You think farmed fish are safe? Have you ever seen how farmed fisheries are situated? They are usually right next to a crop field. The runoff of chemicals into the water is horrible. My family refuses to eat any fish farm raised.

And also, if you think mercury is no joke, you again are very misinformed. Just a little while back, the FDA put out a warning on tuna b/c of the mercury. And the FDA doesn't not just put out warnings for the hell of it.
But, if you want mercury accumulating in your liver, go right ahead.

Please note, this wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you, but people need to understand these things

smalls
02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
god you are so misinformed. You think farmed fish are safe? Have you ever seen how farmed fisheries are situated? They are usually right next to a crop field. The runoff of chemicals into the water is horrible. My family refuses to eat any fish farm raised.

And also, if you think mercury is no joke, you again are very misinformed. Just a little while back, the FDA put out a warning on tuna b/c of the mercury. And the FDA doesn't not just put out warnings for the hell of it.
But, if you want mercury accumulating in your liver, go right ahead.

Please note, this wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you, but people need to understand these things

Understand what? that the FDA put out a warning? Most people already know that, and they realize the FDA puts out warnings on many many products as a precautinary measure.
I have had mercury accumulating in my liver since I was an infanct, and will continue to do so. My dad used to break open mercury thermometers and play with that **** (no i'm not recomending it). But people worry too much these days. You hippies and your all natural, keep out the chemicals and hormones bull****. You may not have meant it as a personal insult but it sure comes off that way.

I will not tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death-author unknown. I'm stoked for your family and their beliefs, but try not to push your overprotective and worrywart attitude on me.

smalls
02-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Also since your so educated on the subject, please enlighten us with all the facts and statistics about the health problems linked to tuna eating (please post only credible sources, not tunaisthedevil.com). Please list the normal range of mercury in the human body and the upper levels linked to neurological problems (in adults). Any peer reviewed studies would be great.

Sorry, i'm coming off like a smartass, but I dont want to rewrite that. I've researched this topic bro, from a college nutrition course perspective (teh gay) and for personal knowledge. The dangers associated are so overstated by some individuals it borders on insanity.

zer06ame
02-01-2005, 06:53 PM
i'm with smalls on this one...umm, i don't really care if i have mercury accumulating in my liver...it's convienant, i eat it atleast once a day, and it's high in protein. so what if it could "possibly endanger my life." i have better things to do like respond to posts like this than worry about some numbers of mercury in food that mean nothing to me

Vido
02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Understand what? that the FDA put out a warning? Most people already know that, and they realize the FDA puts out warnings on many many products as a precautinary measure.
I have had mercury accumulating in my liver since I was an infanct, and will continue to do so. My dad used to break open mercury thermometers and play with that **** (no i'm not recomending it). But people worry too much these days. You hippies and your all natural, keep out the chemicals and hormones bull****. You may not have meant it as a personal insult but it sure comes off that way.

I will not tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death-author unknown. I'm stoked for your family and their beliefs, but try not to push your overprotective and worrywart attitude on me.

LOL, awesome post!

GMCtrk
02-01-2005, 08:52 PM

The FDA puts out lots of warnings? Interesting....tell me about the products out of the market with warnings except for alcohol and tobacco. You go ahead and eat your 2 cans a day, but when you get mercury poisoning, don't feel sorry for yourself.

The key is moderation. Hell, I love eating Tuna for the same reasons you do, cheap, great protein content. But, theres also chicken, turkey, beef, etc

smalls
02-01-2005, 09:06 PM
The FDA puts out lots of warnings? Interesting....tell me about the products out of the market with warnings except for alcohol and tobacco. You go ahead and eat your 2 cans a day, but when you get mercury poisoning, don't feel sorry for yourself.

The key is moderation. Hell, I love eating Tuna for the same reasons you do, cheap, great protein content. But, theres also chicken, turkey, beef, etc

LOFL, I just did a basic search and came up with no less than 50 fairly recent warning put out by the FDA. Ranging from strattera to prenatal ultrasounds to antidepresants, etc etc.

I often get 4 or more cans of tuna, why be so moderate with two lol. I lack the ability to feel sorry for myself, so no worries when I get "mercury poisening" seeing as how common it is, lol. Self pity is our worst enemy, and if we yeild to it we can never do anything good in the world.- Helen Keller

Look bro, I'm going to say this as plainly as I can. You came into this discussion all gung ho based on very poorly aquired here-say (probably internet articles and myths passed on by aquintances). Most of us here have done the same things it's no biggie. I hope I havent personally assaulted you, I just like to be right. Next time come equiped.

Manveet
02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=33137&page=2&highlight=mercury

second page of that thread, restless posted some great information.

GMCtrk
02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
LOFL, I just did a basic search and came up with no less than 50 fairly recent warning put out by the FDA. Ranging from strattera to prenatal ultrasounds to antidepresants, etc etc.

I often get 4 or more cans of tuna, why be so moderate with two lol. I lack the ability to feel sorry for myself, so no worries when I get "mercury poisening" seeing as how common it is, lol. Self pity is our worst enemy, and if we yeild to it we can never do anything good in the world.- Helen Keller

Look bro, I'm going to say this as plainly as I can. You came into this discussion all gung ho based on very poorly aquired here-say (probably internet articles and myths passed on by aquintances). Most of us here have done the same things it's no biggie. I hope I havent personally assaulted you, I just like to be right. Next time come equiped.

you do what you want, I have read the MSD sheet for mercury several times in the past, and I wouldn't want a poison in my system. And you ask why mercury poisioning is so uncommon? Well most likely becuase people don't even realize they have it...

Gizotch
02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
god you are so misinformed. You think farmed fish are safe? Have you ever seen how farmed fisheries are situated? They are usually right next to a crop field. The runoff of chemicals into the water is horrible.

i might be wrong here , but your statement might be true of fresh water fish such as trout , and in some cases salmon , but last time i checked tuna was a sal****er fish . salt water fisheries arent usually found inland but off the coast in enlcosed areas . ive had many drives up and down california and i cant remember seeing an agricultural field right next to the ocean . run off on a salt water fishery ? im not sure buddy .

smalls
02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
you do what you want, I have read the MSD sheet for mercury several times in the past, and I wouldn't want a poison in my system. And you ask why mercury poisioning is so uncommon? Well most likely becuase people don't even realize they have it...

Can't tell you have it eh, sounds pretty debilitating. JK bro, i'm done. There is some pretty good research out there showing the negative effects of mercury on the system, and there is research showing some tuna (albacore more so) contains high enough amounts that if you ate excess (who's to say what that is for each person though) then you may accumulate too much.
But people jump the gun big time. Most people will suffer no ill effects in an entire lifetime of eating "normal" amounts of tuna. Problems are so rare, they dont really even warrant this discussion.

I will say this, I'm not in this for the health benefits. I dropped that ploy along time ago.

Guido
02-01-2005, 10:45 PM
I believe I posted a link above that clearly describes scientific evidence indicating that eating Tuna too often can cause elevated Mercury levels in your system. I'm not saying don't eat tuna. Just, everything in moderation.

smalls
02-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Guido, the link you posted is just an article, no scientific review going on there. Also it relates only to pregnant women and most importantly their unborn child. Most of us weigh more than 25-50 times what a baby weighs and we dont have to worry about our developing systems, ya know. I agree that too much of a good thing can often be bad, but I really think there is no need to worry about it.

Dirt
02-01-2005, 11:58 PM

Two things. As far as I know government agencies are required by law to release information as it becomes available to them regarding health and safety issues. Just today there was an article on cnn.com about the list of known carcinogens being expanded with recent additions (which included products resultant from grilling meats and frying eggs at high heat). The other thing is that the MSDS for ethanol is pretty bleak and people don't think twice about ingesting that. My point is, in general a MSDS will always be the worst possible case scenario and list every possible outcome of contact with a substance, whether realistic or not. Not saying mercury is safe by any means, but you can't go about throwing in how dangerous it's MSDS says it is in a discussion about eating tins of tuna.