PDA

View Full Version : Science of boiling eggs

Tafman
01-31-2005, 08:42 PM
how do u boil your eggs so the shell peels off easily? i get really frustrated when the shell is all stuck to the white and just crushes in my hands. just tonight after class i wasted 4 eggs. i know if i was patience and carefully peeled them that i would have saved them. but i have large hands short finger nails and its hard.

im thinking of a few methods
1. crack each egg slightly before boiling, this will let water get inside and lube it up so the shell comes off easily.
2. after boiling, dump the eggs into cold water.
3. just put the entire egg with its shell into the blender and make a smoothy, the shell has nutrients in it too right? LOL JK
4. I make 40 eggs at a time, so just seperate the whites before boiling, and throw them into the pot with water and just poach them?

Jabberwocky
01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
The easiest way to peel boiled eggs is to tap it on a counter enough to crack the shell, then apply moderate pressure and roll the egg forward. After you have rolled the whole circumfrence of the egg the shell should just peel off.

Tafman
01-31-2005, 08:56 PM
The easiest way to peel boiled eggs is to tap it on a counter enough to crack the shell, then apply moderate pressure and roll the egg forward. After you have rolled the whole circumfrence of the egg the shell should just peel off.

il try that, thanks sounds easy :angel:

GMCtrk
01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I have perfected the art of boiling eggs, it is a risky method though (some eggs crack).

Here's what you do, boil your water and then take your eggs out the fridge and immediately lower them into the boiling water. Note, some eggs will crack, but this is ok. Now, cook the eggs in the boiling water (dont decrease temp) for 25 minutes. Then, after that time is up. Take the pot of the stove dump it's water out in the sink and IMMEDIATELY immerse the eggs in cold cold water. Let them sit a good 10 minutes. Then just take them out and dry then and your good to go.

With this method, my shells come off in two pieces now. No more picking at little pieces :)

crazedwombat
02-01-2005, 06:30 AM
or just buy whitewhites in liquid form and cook up an omelette :)

Fenway
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
25 mins of cooking......dude that is way too long.....i can't stand runny yolk..i wait 15 mins and everyone tells me that is way to long.....

however , your method besides that , is puuuuuuuurfect

ericg
02-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I wouldnt crack them before you place them in teh water. Usually you can tell when they are done is when the shells crack, and that shouldnt be more than 5 minutes. After they are done put them in cold water and the shells should come off pretty easy - just have to get under that "skin" that is between the shell and the egg.

GMCtrk
02-01-2005, 05:00 PM
anyways, I love my boiled eggs cooked very well.

Collegekid
02-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Ha, i'm in a college dorm and the cafeteria has a huge tray of perfectly hardboiled eggs at every meal. I love it. As for cracking, i just tap it once or twice and then start peeling the shell off in pieces.