PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Deadlifting...

chris mason
02-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Figured I would start a journal and keep it up for a while, maybe.

Anyway, I deadlift RAW in the truest sense. I only use hand chalk or wrist straps (for my later sets). No belt, no suit, nothing else.

I use a hook grip with chalk only for all of my warmups and my first heavy set. This grip (for the uniformed) involves a double overhand grip in which the lifter wraps his thumb using his index and forefinger. It is used primarily by Olympic lifters in because they cannot use a mixed grip or straps when lifting. The hook is a stronger grip than the standard double overhand and weaker than a mixed grip.

As of late I have taken to performing multiple heavy sets with long breaks of 10 minutes or more between sets. I will update my workout as I go (in between breaks).

Today:

Deadlifts

135 x 9
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 1
475 x 1
525 x 3 --- All sets with a hook grip and chalk.

My next set will be 525 using wrist straps and a double overhand grip. The hook chews up the base of my thumbs right where they meet the palm. If I do too many sets I will literally tear them.

525 x 3

525 x 3 again

525 x 2 ---didn't want to push to hard and tweak my already slightly unhappy back :burger:

525 x 2

405 x 6 --- That was all for me for the day.

andy51
02-01-2005, 11:53 AM
You are one strong guy. I will keep watching this journal. What are some of your short and long term goals?

Relentless
02-01-2005, 12:16 PM
nice pulls chris. did you reset and regrip after each rep on the heavy set or just bang the weights off the floor?

good to see you journalling again anyway, ought to provide some inspiration for some members here.

orbital
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Chris. nice to see you start a journal. Your achievements over the years have been awe inspiring to say the least.

lilmase1153
02-01-2005, 12:21 PM
ace pulling chris.. so what are the stats at now a days?

chris mason
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
You are one strong guy. I will keep watching this journal. What are some of your short and long term goals?

To pull 700 without a belt.

chris mason
02-01-2005, 12:26 PM
nice pulls chris. did you reset and regrip after each rep on the heavy set or just bang the weights off the floor?

good to see you journalling again anyway, ought to provide some inspiration for some members here.

I reset and re-gripped with each rep on the first set with 525. On the other sets I am using straps and thus merely reset in terms of pausing about 1-2 seconds between reps.

chris mason
02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
ace pulling chris.. so what are the stats at now a days?

I honestly have no clue. I don't have a working scale at home at that is where I train (basement).

I would guess myself to be 218-220 lbs at 5'11".

bill
02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Good to see you posting a workout.

the one
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
can i get another explanation of the hook grip im just not gettin it?

ps nice pulls

lilmase1153
02-01-2005, 12:37 PM
chris as an expeirenced deadlifter like yourself do you consider using straps as equipment?

reason im asking is im stuck with my deads at a pretty low weight but its not cause of my strength on the movement its simply cause my grip wont allow anymore weight.. and im not so sure about using straps as i dont really like using equipment at all..

thanks in advance chris and p.s. your beast 5'11 220 is :strong:

chris mason
02-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Ok, palms are facing down. Imagine you are doing shrugs and the grip you would take. Now, instead of your thumb being on the outside of your fingers you are covering it with the first 2 fingers on your hand.

Does that make sense?

chris mason
02-01-2005, 12:45 PM
chris as an expeirenced deadlifter like yourself do you consider using straps as equipment?

reason im asking is im stuck with my deads at a pretty low weight but its not cause of my strength on the movement its simply cause my grip wont allow anymore weight.. and im not so sure about using straps as i dont really like using equipment at all..

thanks in advance chris and p.s. your beast 5'11 220 is :strong:

I think at this point you should wait on the straps. Are you using a mixed grip?

lilmase1153
02-01-2005, 12:46 PM
yeah im using mix...

chris mason
02-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, well, then I think you should get yourself some hand chalk. You will see a HUGE difference in what you can hold with it. If you cannot use chalk at your gym then go ahead and use straps but after you have gone as far as you can in your sets without them.

lilmase1153
02-01-2005, 12:54 PM
thanks chris ive never thought of chalk but ill give it a try.. and i dont know if my gym allows it but i go so late it doesnt really matter :-)

Hockey66
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Awesome lifting Chris, keep up the good work. 700 without a belt is nuts.

phatmike
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Very cool to see you start a journal Chris! I have been hoping you would start one for some time now. Looks like I got my wish.

chris mason
02-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Hatred
02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
That grip sounds painful as all hell.
I be watching you.

Chubrock
02-01-2005, 05:40 PM
UH OOHH!!! Mason done started a journal lol. I'm def. gonna have to keep an eye on this. Great pullin' man. I hate to clutter your journal with questions, but I wanted to ask about something you had written awhile back. You stated, that you felt a person could gain good overall size if all they did was squat. Do you really feel this way?? The reason I ask, is because I've screwed up my rotator cuff, so I can't do really any chest, back or shoulder work at all. I still want to blast my legs and whatever else I can get away with, and I really enjoy squatting, so if you really felt that one could still gain some size, that would def. make me feel better for having to take a rest.

DoUgL@S
02-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I would guess myself to be 218-220 lbs at 5'11".

You look bigger than that on your pics. We have about the same stats but you are a lot stronger than I. That was some great pullin. I'll be keeping an eye out for that 700 lb DL.

chris mason
02-01-2005, 05:58 PM
UH OOHH!!! Mason done started a journal lol. I'm def. gonna have to keep an eye on this. Great pullin' man. I hate to clutter your journal with questions, but I wanted to ask about something you had written awhile back. You stated, that you felt a person could gain good overall size if all they did was squat. Do you really feel this way?? The reason I ask, is because I've screwed up my rotator cuff, so I can't do really any chest, back or shoulder work at all. I still want to blast my legs and whatever else I can get away with, and I really enjoy squatting, so if you really felt that one could still gain some size, that would def. make me feel better for having to take a rest.

I really do, yes.

If it will not further injure you shoulder then I think you should squat like crazy!

Try to squat as often as possible (2-3x per week minimum). Do at least 4-5 working sets (post-warmup sets) and take 5-10 minutes between sets after your first heavy set.

Work with reps in the 2-6 range and stop short of failure on your heavy sets.

If you can tolerate milk drink a TON of it while working out. Try to consume at least 1 gallon overall throughout the day.

If you don't get bigger overall I will be very surprised.

Now, does that mean when you first try a bench press again you will be just as strong? No, there is a neural component to training, but it does mean that you will quickly regain your strength in upper body movements and then surpass them once you can return to upper body training.

cphafner
02-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Good luck with your goals. Your strength/size gives us natty guys hope!

PizDoff
02-01-2005, 09:51 PM
While working out!?!?

A little confused by this sentence
"This grip (for the uniformed) involves a double overhand grip in which the lifter wraps his thumb using his index and forefinger."
but nice to see other people using a double overhand grip. Has really helped my grip strength grow.

Focused70
02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I really do, yes.

If it will not further injure you shoulder then I think you should squat like crazy!

Try to squat as often as possible (2-3x per week minimum). Do at least 4-5 working sets (post-warmup sets) and take 5-10 minutes between sets after your first heavy set.

Work with reps in the 2-6 range and stop short of failure on your heavy sets.

If you can tolerate milk drink a TON of it while working out. Try to consume at least 1 gallon overall throughout the day.

If you don't get bigger overall I will be very surprised.

Now, does that mean when you first try a bench press again you will be just as strong? No, there is a neural component to training, but it does mean that you will quickly regain your strength in upper body movements and then surpass them once you can return to upper body training.

what if you can't tolerate milk? (I'm lactose intolerant and a gallon of Lactaid is not cheap. about $10 per gallon.)

:withstupi joining the peanut gallery as far as watching you is concerned.

Stash

Canadian Crippler
02-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Chris, will you be posting any other workouts in here or just your deadlift sessions?

Adam
02-01-2005, 10:38 PM
While working out!?!?

"This grip (for the uniformed) involves a double overhand grip in which the lifter wraps his thumb using his index and forefinger."
but nice to see other people using a double overhand grip. Has really helped my grip strength grow.

Its the same as a double overhand grip. The only difference is that instead of your thumb going over you middle finger, your middle/pointer go over your thumb.

PizDoff
02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I officially have no idea what you are talking about. I kinda get it but don't, don't worry about a picture though.

Thanks.

TTT
02-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Chris, will you be posting any other workouts in here or just your deadlift sessions?
I want to see some of your other lifts too! :)
Those deads are absolutely awesome. I saw that pullup video too, that was pretty impressive as well :thumbup:

Chubrock
02-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks "Mason." One last question, once again I hope I'm not clutterin your journal with useless things, but do you suggest doing any other lifts, other than the heavy squatting? I mean, I can get away with things like abdominal work, hyperextensions, and any other leg work. I could probably get away with doing 1 Arm DB Rows with just my good side, but I'm afraid that might cause an imbalance. What do ya think I should do? Just stick solely to squatting, or do some other work too?

Oh yea, one more thing. Why so much milk?? I mean, I drink a lot as it is. Is there any special reason to be drinking that much more, other than the protein??

chris mason
02-02-2005, 01:28 PM
It is not in vogue these days but MANY lifters of yesteryear got huge with milk and squats. Hise, Hepburn, Anderson, and many others.

I would recommend you skip everything else and just squat like a mother****er!

You will not be unhappy with the results.

chris mason
02-02-2005, 01:29 PM
I will probably post other workouts as well.

If you are lactose intolerant then I recommend a lot of peanut butter mixed in with your daily diet.

Chubrock
02-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks Chris, and I know this isn't the place, but I just thought I'd let ya know, that this ETS is kickin' some serious ass.

chris mason
02-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Chris, and I know this isn't the place, but I just thought I'd let ya know, that this ETS is kickin' some serious ass.

As far as I am concerned ANYWHERE is the place for a statement like that about our products! :strong:

chris mason
02-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Ok, did some upper body today. I will update as I go the same as my deadlift workout.

For shoulders I have been using single arm standing dumbbell military press. I do not lean to the side to any appreciable degree when performing these which increases the level of difficulty.

81 lbs x 9R/9L
101 lbs x 3R/3L
121 lbs x 2R/1L ---Left side PR, I could not get it last time
121 lbs x 2R/1L
121 lbs x 2R/miss L --- Well, not bad, could not even get it for 1 last time

Curl Grip Chins:

Body x 9 --- warmup
Body + 45 lbs x 9 --- This is a 3/4 ROM. A greater ROM than the video I posted with body + 90 lbs x 3.

Standing Barbell Curls (7' bar):

135 x 10
155 x 11

These are done in good form but not perfect.

Skull Crushers (7' bar):

145 x 10
185 x 11

Left elbow doesn't like these.

Standing Calf Raises (barbell on back):

315 x 13

Chubrock
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Geez Chris, great session. Your upperbody strength is just as amazing as your pulling ability. Just to let ya know, I started your squat workout today. Should be an interesting journey.

chris mason
02-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Cool, remember, it is all about squatting and consuming enough calories (a LOT of milk) to fuel the growth you will stimulate.

Chubrock
02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I hear ya on that. I'm def getting a lot of milk in. Hopefully the ETS continues to do what it's doing now, as I have a feeling I'm going to need it lol.

bill
02-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Chris I thought you where strong? lol On a serious note, I was just curious what or whom is the biggest natural person you have known of? Not talking freaky, genetics popping everywhere folks. Your average from what you can tell genetic person, how big can peeps get naturally. Any thoughts? Hope it makes since, I understand it is a sort of, well if I bench for 3 yrs how much could I do max question. Mostly looking for thoughts. Thanks sorry so lengthy Bill

chris mason
02-04-2005, 05:31 AM
As you said it depends.

I think a guy with medium bone structure who is 6' or so in height isn't going to be much bigger than a solid 230-240 lbs. By "solid" I mean someone who may have visible abs but is not even close to contest shape. If the same individual were extremely lean for a contest I don't see much more than 200-205 lbs.

All you need do is look back to the pre-steroid era of bodybuilding and it gives you a very good idea.

Canadian Crippler
02-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Are those BB Curls with strict form, or not so strict? :D I just couldn't imagine seeing someone pull out 11 reps strict!

chris mason
02-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Good form. Now, I am not standing with my back against a wall but I am not being really sloppy either.

bill
02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Chris about what year would you gather?

chris mason
02-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Chris about what year would you gather?

I am not sure I understand? Are you asking how many years of training would it take or what age would they have to be?

lilmase1153
02-04-2005, 05:39 PM
awesome w/o chris your pulling strength is ridiculous bro..

and i think bill means which year for pre steroid bb would he look at.. i think so anyways..

chris mason
02-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Ahhhh, you're probably right Mase. I would say that you need to go back to the 50s. If you really want to see some good examples I would go with John Grimek and Johnny McWilliams (sp?).

bill
02-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Exactly Mase got it. I will check out Grimek, but I remember seeing pics of him and he was pretty huge especially in that time frame. Arnold always referred to him and made mention of. Thanks.

Maki Riddington
02-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I noticed you started ajournal again which is great since I've always enjoyed reading your workouts. I also wanted to mention that those one arm shoulder presses are nutz!!! The most I can do is 70 pound dumbbells for 4 reps without leaning to the side.

Good stuff.

chris mason
02-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks Maki! I have it on video if I can ever get my MSN to work.

I did get it to work long enough last night to send the 625 lbs deadlift video to Anthony last night. Hopefully he'll have it uploaded here soon so I can post it.

drew
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Mason, I love that you're posting a journal, and a deadlifting one at that. I also go raw on deads. No belt and no suit. I generally use chalk up to 405 but much more than that and I have to use straps. I hate the hook grip though. I just stick with a mixed grip. I have small hands and I like my thumbs.

I've always found the deadlift to be my easiest exercise in terms of progression. I always feel like I can easily add more weight. Hoping to break 500 by the end of this year.

At what point would you say it's time to think about competing? I'm sure I'm a ways off, but I'd like to get into it eventually.

BigNic
02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
****, i didnt realize youd started another journal. Ill be watching. In how short of a time span do you plan on pulling 7. The way you been improving id say you could have it in as little as 6 mos.

chris mason
02-06-2005, 10:46 AM
I was finally able to send Anthony the video of my RAW, hook grip 625 lbs deadlift. He was kind enough to upload it. Here it is:

video (http://www.wannabebig.com/vids/Chris%20-%20Deadlift%20625%20(hook).mov)

Drew, I think you should start competing soon so you get a feel for how things go.

Anthony
02-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Good work for an old guy. :D

briancurran01
02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
:thumbup: damn nice pull chris. I hope to one day come to half that i cant even imagine pulling 600

chris mason
02-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Deadlifts again today. My knees are too unhappy to squat so I will deadlift. Not sure how recovered I am from my last session. I guess we shall see.

I will update throughout the session.

135 x 7
225 x 7
315 x 6
405 x 1
475 x 1
525 x 3 --- felt good

I am still definitely a bit stiff from my last deadlift workout.

525 x 3

525 x 3

525 x 3

525 x 3

405 x 5

That was enough. The last set with 525 was hard. I was pooped.

Now time to go eat and rest.

chris mason
02-06-2005, 02:12 PM
While working out!?!?

I train near a computer.

lilmase1153
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
great session big guy pulling 525 like you is crazy especially for how many sets you do it.. vid looks awesome chris keep those coming ;-)

BigNic
02-06-2005, 07:53 PM
hey chris, how exactly is this split set up. Just a lower day for deads, and an upper day?

Saint Patrick
02-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Awesome pull, Chris. I noticed that you raised your hips pretty early on in the lift. Do you do that frequently on Deadlifts? It's probably hard not to (raise your hips early) when using that much weight though.

chris mason
02-07-2005, 05:35 AM
I just lift the weight. I really don't consider whether or not I am raising my hips etc. I do, however, make sure to not injure myself. I can feel if I am getting into a position which might injure me while in the midst of the lift. If it doesn't feel right I will drop it.

chris mason
02-07-2005, 05:38 AM
hey chris, how exactly is this split set up. Just a lower day for deads, and an upper day?

I more or less lump squats and deads together and then everything else. For "everything else" I really don't do much other than some shoulder presses, dumbbell bench presses (have a strain on my right pec right now so I am being careful), and some arm work thrown in with a set of chins every now and again.

lilmase1153
02-08-2005, 04:59 AM
chris we need 50ml of deads stat..... oh yeah that and more vids :hello:

chris mason
02-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Today is squat day.

I do my squats the same as my deadlifts in that they are completely RAW (no suit, no belt, no briefs, no knee wraps). I also use a narrow stance (just a touch less than shoulder width). This is due to an old hip/outer thigh injury and not by preference. My body is built for a wide stance squat for maximum strength.

I was going to do super-slow squats today to rest my knees but they didn't feel too bad so I went ahead and went heavy.

I will update as I go as usual.

135 x 9
225 x 8
315 x 6
405 x 1
425 x 1
445 x 1 --- I took a video of this. I probably cut depth by about an inch from parallel. I did a frame by frame on the video and that is what it looks like to me. It is a bit hard to tell with video due to than angle of the shot. That said, I felt like I cut it a bit so I checked the video.

Oh, and yes, I am feeling it a bit in my lower back from my deadlift day on Sunday.

425 x 1

425 x 1

425 x 1

405 x 3 --- That was all folks.

Relentless
02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I do my squats the same as my deadlifts in that they are completely RAW (no suit, no belt, no briefs, no knee wraps). I also use a narrow stance (just a touch less than shoulder width). This is due to an old hip/outer thigh injury and not by preference. My body is built for a wide stance squat for maximum strength.

Um chris? Do we ReALLY need to know that you're lifting 'commando'? :D

chris mason
02-08-2005, 02:03 PM

Powerlifting briefs you goof!

Isaac Wilkins
02-08-2005, 02:41 PM

I would look into at least a pair of BVD's or Fruit of the Looms.

The boys need a home!

;)

lilmase1153
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
dam chris thats some nice squats man.. and to think it was done with close stance

Chubrock
02-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Damn Chris, your squatting is really inspiring man. And I thought that my box squats today were good lol. Great session man.

BigNic
02-08-2005, 07:25 PM
good stuff man. I too have been doing an upper and lower day. I have a q for you. Ive basically been doing 2 upper days and two lower days a week as you prescribed several months ago. However ive been switching it up, one upper body day i do dips, bb rows, and shoulder presses. Then the other ill do bench, cgbp, and weighted pullups. The same goes for my lower days, one day squats and the other deads. I know you think its good to juggle between deads and squats, but do you think it would be better for me to do the same excercises on both my upper days?

Maki Riddington
02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Video please.

cphafner
02-08-2005, 09:07 PM
great squat effort, real impressive numbers!

Chubrock
02-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Alright now Chris, I know you're out creating some awesome supplement for us, but you also have responsibilities here haha. Can't go slackin on us bro.

chris mason
02-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry, I have been fighting a cold the last couple of days and probably won't train again until Sunday.

Nic, I think that you should consider how the program is going. If what you are doing is working well then stay the course.

Maki, I'll try to get the video to Anthony soon.

cphafner
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
that was a real impressive lift!

chris mason
02-13-2005, 12:35 PM
No training today, still feeling the effects of the illness.

cphafner
02-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Feel better Chris

chris mason
02-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Thank you.

lilmase1153
02-13-2005, 05:13 PM
damn chris you must be really feeling it bro.. get better bro i know deads are missing you..

BigNic
02-14-2005, 05:37 PM
hope you feel better man

chris mason
02-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys.

Well, still not feeling my oats but decided I had better train today.

Deads

135 x 7
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 1
475 x 1
525 x 1
575 x 1 --- Felt heavy today (heavier than it should). I am just a bit weak and low on energy so I will cut things a bit short.

575 x 1

555 x 1 --- I think that may be it for today. I am just pooped.

The thing I REALLY need to train is chest as I haven't done it in a couple of weeks due to this cold (I would have done it right when I got the cold). That said, I decided lower body is the most important workout and that I will do chest in a day or two.

I said WTF and did another set. This tends to be my downfall....don't know when to stop.

555 x 1

Did one more for good measure...

555 x 1

lilmase1153
02-15-2005, 12:47 PM
damn chris your deads never cease to amaze brother..

chris mason
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Ok, time for my wimpy chest workout. I haven't trained chest in a few weeks so I will not be going excessively heavy.

Dumbbell Bench Press

91s x 9
111s x 6
121s x 3
131s x 3
131s x 4

I will update as I go.

131s x 4
131s x 4
131s x 3 --- Lost concentration for a second on the right hand and the dumbbell fell into my chest (under some control so no big deal). Lol, in fact I thought about pressing it back up as the left arm was locked out but decided against it. I figured that was enough.

I next decided to do some 1 arm t-bar rows. To do these I anchor one end of the 7' bar and grasp the other end with one had right at the end. I place the weight on the same end. I then simply row the bar standing to one side of the bar or the other depending on which side I am working. This gives me a very good contraction and feel throughout the movement.

95 lbs x 8 per side (95 lbs is just the plates)
120 lbs x 8 per side

That was it, just something to keep the lats from dwindling.

Ok, now some standing barball curls with the Olympic 7' bar.

135 x 10 --- felt heavy today
155 x 9 --- same as above

I next did calf raises with a barbell on my back.

315 x 15

That was enough.

SW
02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Your sicks days beat my best days man. Feel better dude.

Chubrock
02-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Damn you Chris Mason. You whine about bein sick and then bust some awesome friggin session like that. You the man Chris :bow: Awesome workout.

chris mason
02-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Lol, well, I'm still plugged-up but feeling much better.

Chubrock
02-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Gotta tell ya Chris, I'm still loving that ETS. All this squattin you've had me doing, and no soreness at all. It's insane how good this stuff is. Also I really like that workout you outlined.

lilmase1153
02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
:omg: thats all i can think of

chris mason
02-18-2005, 05:36 AM
That's great Chubrock!

Hey, please do me a favor and post your feelings on ETS in the supplements (not the AtLarge) forum. ETS is a GREAT product but we don't have enough of those using it touting its benefits for others to take the plunge and try it. We don't advertise excessively on these boards and that really works against us sometimes.

Chubrock
02-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Posted it for ya bro.

bill
02-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Lol plugged up, thats funny means something totally different in the medical field. lol

bill
02-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Chris I may get with you and purchase some more creatine/protein/ maybe even the ETS I'm almost 33 now and can really use that sort of help.

chris mason
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Yes, just let me know when you want to stop by.

chris mason
02-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Ok, leg day. My old hip injury and knees are being a bitch and thus I am having a hard time finding the groove during my warmups.

135 x 9
225 x 8
315 x 6
365 x 6 --- I kept moving my feet on this to get the right feel and just couldn't seem to do it. Hopefully this set warmed everything up sufficiently.

405 x 1 --- A little better

425 x 2 --- not bad

425 x 1 --- didn't feel the 2

435 x 1

435 x 1

385 x 3 --- That was enough.

385 x 3 --- Well, last one for fun.

BigNic
02-21-2005, 04:44 PM
good work man, whats the prob with your hip?

ryuage
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
hes an old man :p

chris mason
02-21-2005, 05:33 PM
good work man, whats the prob with your hip?

It is right where my quad and hip meet on my left side. I injured it 7-8 years ago squatting. I have never had a doctor look at it but it hurts very much when I get into the deep position of a squat. It is a strong burning sensation and the pain causes me to favor that side and thus overly stress my right knee. If I rest it for a few weeks it is ok for the first squat session and then flares right back up. It definitely impedes my training.

Saint Patrick
02-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Nice Session, Chris :thumbup:

Chubrock
02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
I guess I'll just have to start squattin enough for the both of us. Nice numbers by the way.

Anthony
02-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Nice squatting old man!

Relentless
02-22-2005, 07:50 AM
A strong burning sensation sounds like it could be nerve impingement to me (herniation) as opposed to a musculo/skeletal problem

You *may* want to get a CT scan or MRI to look at your lower back/SI area if this gets any worse at all. In any case you really ought to see a doc about this. Silly not to do so, IMHO. I mean if you DO have a bulged disk or something, ignoring it is not going to make it better.

chris mason
02-22-2005, 10:31 AM
I've had the bulging disc and I can say 100% for sure it is not a lower back problem. I think I partially tore something all those years ago and now have scar tissue which has trapped nerves.

One day I might get it fixed if possible. One day when I have the time.

I do appreciate your suggestion.

chris mason
02-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Ok, knees not happy, hip/thigh issue unhappy, and lower back a bit sore. What to do? What the hey, let's do some stiff-legged deadlifts!

135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 8 --- ohhhh, right ham a bit tight as well from squatting

405 x 5

Feels good today. I think I will get some video as I move up.

455 x 3

505 x 4 --- Got this on video. It was actually quite easy and I stopped well short of failure. Oh, and yes, this is a PR.

505 x 2 --- uuuggghhh, felt much heavier this time :D

I think I will do some singles with it for a few sets.

505 x 1

505 x 1

505 x 1

405 x 6 --- That was all.

Isaac Wilkins
02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Excellent rep work. I find that on deads I really have to keep it under five reps in a set, otherwise my form either goes to sh*t or I'm wasting my time.

chris mason
02-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I just do low reps on everything!

:alcoholic

lilmase1153
02-22-2005, 01:34 PM
no way 505 on sldl's.... your my hero chris mason... maybe some of that can rub off on me tonight since my first name is mason and your last name is mason.. maybe, ok fat chance i know :-(

chris mason
02-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Good luck this evening!

lilmase1153
02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
thanks chris ill let you know how it goes. im shooting for a PR tonight and hell if you can sldl 505 i can conventional mid 3s

cphafner
02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
wow that is impressive work.

RBB
02-22-2005, 07:15 PM
nice job, chris. 505x4 sldl is very impressive.

bill
02-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Chris has your strength just gradually increased over the years? What do you contribute the results too other than the obvious AT LARGE nutrition.

Chubrock
02-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Geeezz Chris, insane bro. You're my idol.

chris mason
02-23-2005, 05:44 AM
As of late I attribute my progress to the Paul Anderson style program I am using and, of course, our products.

For me, the volume on this Paul Anderson style program is much greater than I have even practiced. I think my ability to recover from it is due to the large quantity of milk I am consuming (skim for the most part) especially on training days and my use of ETS. The milk thing is something Paul did and I figured I would give it a try. I drink a half gallon of milk during the workout (just keep drinking it between sets). In addition, I think the fact I take 15 minutes between heavy sets on lower body work also makes the recovery process easier after the workout.

My strength has certainly not progressed smoothly over the years. There were long periods of stagnance followed by periods of progress.

I really wish I had tried this current program years ago.

For anyone wondering, no, I am not using steroids of any kind and yes, I would say if I was. If I ever do them you will definitely know about it. I hate it when people b.s. and I will not do that about drug use.

Bruteman
02-23-2005, 06:00 AM
Have always lurked in your journal's, but never posted anything. But I just did some rdl's the other day and you just used more than my work weight for part of your warmup! So I just have to :bow: to teh masta'.

BigNic
02-24-2005, 03:41 PM
How exactly is this paul anderson proutine set up. Ive read some stuff about him, i knew about the milk, and the fact that he squatted a lot but i never heard of an actual routine written up.

Btw, some sick sldl's there chris.

Chubrock
02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Gotta tell ya Chris, if all that milk is doing for you what it's doing for me, then no wonder you're so strong. It seems like the days I drink all that milk, are the days I feel my strongest. Could be just a placebo effect though, I dunno.

chris mason
02-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Upper body stuff today.

Single Arm Standing Dumbbell Military Presses

81 x 9L/9R
101 x 4L/4R
121 x 1L/1R
131 x no attempt left/ 1R --- That would be a PR baby!!!

A 1 arm dumbbell standing military press with 131 lbs is STOUT!!!

Lol, ok, enough self-love.

I can't get 131 with my left arm so I did 121 x 1.

121 x miss L/2R

121 x 1L/2R --- better

121 x 1L/2R

Standing Barbell Curls:

135 x 10

155 x 12

Skulls (Olympic bar):

135 x 9

195 x 6 --- I think my tris were a bit fatigued from the presses

Standing Calf Raise (barbell on shoulder)

315 x 17

chris mason
02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
How exactly is this paul anderson proutine set up. Ive read some stuff about him, i knew about the milk, and the fact that he squatted a lot but i never heard of an actual routine written up.

Btw, some sick sldl's there chris.

A normal person could not do his routine from his youth because he just squatted for hours on end with long breaks between sets (15+ minutes from what I have read). He would do this nearly every other day!

In his earliest training he squatted mostly and then added some bench and arm work. For all of his life his training revolved around the most basic of movements using a LOT of weight. He felt these gave him the basic strength to excel in other lifts such as the Olympic lifts.

If you want to give it a stab try the routine I am following in terms of exercises and sets. Remember, no training to failure intentionally!

bill
02-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Chris, everyone can db one arm 131 lol. That would be stout, how much did you use in the beginning to start?

chris mason
02-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I never really did them until the very recently so I started quite high (over 100 lbs).

Chubrock
02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
With regards to my post a couple above yours, do you think all the milk has a placebo effect, or do you feel there is a certain reason I seem to feel like I have so much strength on the days I drink a large amount of milk.

chris mason
02-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I think milk is a great food for building strength and size.

I would say that if you feel that way then keep drinking the milk and who cares if the effect is placebo or not, right?

Get huge!

Chubrock
02-24-2005, 06:43 PM
HAHA very good point Chris. By the way, I put that order in yesterday for the 3 bottles of ETS.

bill
02-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Chris do you clean them from the floor and press? We need some more vids.

cphafner
02-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Drinking the milk during your workout is intersting. If I drink milk prior to squatting/deads, my stomach is a mess. I was thinking of cutting milk out of my diet, maybe I'll rethink that.

BigNic
02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
id like to give what your trying a shot. Basically an upper and lower split, like im doing now. But your doing lotsa heavy singles, ect on the big compound lifts with 10-15 minutes of rest between heavy sets. I see your swapping squats and deads out week by week, but i think id rather do squats and sldl rather than conventional. In your opinion would it be wiser to split the two or no? Also how are you settin up your upper days. I notice some days you skip any chest work and such. do you just take these days by feel?

Anyway sorry for all the questions but you come up wth some pretty cool splits. Im liking upper and lower splits, but id like to give another training style a try. Im always just doing low volume, failure type stuff. I think real heavy singles would be something fun for me to venture into. Thanks for any input chris.

chris mason
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Chris do you clean them from the floor and press? We need some more vids.

I grab the dumbbell with both hands and clean it to my shoulder. I've got a video of me doing a 121 lbs dumbbell a few weeks ago.

chris mason
02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
id like to give what your trying a shot. Basically an upper and lower split, like im doing now. But your doing lotsa heavy singles, ect on the big compound lifts with 10-15 minutes of rest between heavy sets. I see your swapping squats and deads out week by week, but i think id rather do squats and sldl rather than conventional. In your opinion would it be wiser to split the two or no? Also how are you settin up your upper days. I notice some days you skip any chest work and such. do you just take these days by feel?

Anyway sorry for all the questions but you come up wth some pretty cool splits. Im liking upper and lower splits, but id like to give another training style a try. Im always just doing low volume, failure type stuff. I think real heavy singles would be something fun for me to venture into. Thanks for any input chris.

Yes, I go by feel especially on the chest. I have yet another old injury where my left pec and delt meet. When I train it seems to take a long time to recover. I think it is due to scar tissue again.

lilmase1153
02-26-2005, 08:21 AM
damn chris huge w/o all around and your skulls are heavier than a lot of people's bench that is just ridiculous

chris mason
02-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Deadlifts today.

I will update as I go per usual.

135 x 9
225 x 7
315 x 6
405 x 1
475 x 1
545 x 2

545 x 2

545 x 2

545 x 2

545 x 2

405 x 6 --- That was all.

lilmase1153
02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
nice deads C. mase

chris mason
03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Squats today.

I decided to bump the reps and lighten the weight a bit to see if my hip and knees will be happier.

135 x 9
225 x 9
315 x 6
365 x 8

365 x 8 --- I think this set felt better than the first.

365 x 8

365 x 8

Done.

gino
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Hows your lower back for squatting, only 2 days after deadlifting? I know mine feels sub par without 3-4 days rest between.

chris mason
03-01-2005, 05:48 PM
In this case it was a bit sore. I think my body is screaming for a bit of a break. I am beating it into the dirt!

chris mason
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok, I needed to take it easy today so I decided to give reverse grip benching a try. Very interesting when you haven't fiddled with any kind of barbell bench in a long time not to mention reverse grip.

The weights I used were too wimpy to report. I did 5 sets of doubles.

Standing Barbell Curls:

Decided to try something different here as well.

I first warmed up with my normal 135 x 10 and then decided to try curls with my back propped against a wall for maximally strict curls.

155 x 1

175 x 1 --- Ok, that tied a back to the wall PR. Let's see if I have a bit more in me...

185 x 1 --- That is PR! Not too bad...

I have been feeling a bit off since Tuesday night so that is all for tonight.

SW
03-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Huge curls dude. I've never tried rg bench, but heard it's fun. Did you just do it for variation or for a purpose?

Chubrock
03-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Geeeez Chris. Awesome job. So do I get as big as you by curling like that lol.

chris mason
03-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Huge curls dude. I've never tried rg bench, but heard it's fun. Did you just do it for variation or for a purpose?

Both. I can't do regular bench pressing (RAW) with any kind of weight due to an old shoulder injury. The reverse grip doesn't seem to bother the shoulder nearly as much. In addition, I just didn't feel like lifting the 131s off the floor to do dumbbell presses for set after set. I am trying to rest my lower back and legs.

chris mason
03-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok, today was a different and easy on the lower body back and shoulder day.

I first used my plate-loading rowing machine. There is nothing like it in the gym. Your chest rests on a pad and you are sitting nearly upright. It is something like a Hammer Strength seated row but quite different. Anyway, I used to do it and use my lower back to cheat on the movement. As I did not want to work my lower back to any extent (it needs a break) I placed all the pressure on the chest pad and essentially let my feet "dangle" behind me.

I will only list the weight of the plates used, not the apparatus as I have no idea what it weighs.

110 lbs x 9
200 lbs x 7
270 lbs x 3
270 lbs x 3
270 lbs x 3
290 lbs x 3
290 lbs x 2

I then decided to do reverse grip seated military presses. In other words, I am using a using a curl grip and doing seated military presses.

This was my first ever try at these. It was interesting as I went heavier I noticed a sticking point about half of the way up.

135 x 8
185 x 7
205 x 6
225 x 3
235 x 3
235 x 3
235 x 3
235 x 3

Standing Calf Raises (barbell on back)

315 x 17.5 --- sort of 18

That was enough for today. I just haven't felt quite right all week.

Shark
03-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I just read through this for the first time Chris. Monster lifts! I'm thinking about switching my focus to more compound exercises and this was a great source to find good examples of things to do! Keep up the good work.

chris mason
03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Thank you Chris R.

Deadlifts today:

135 x 8
225 x 7
315 x 7
405 x 1
475 x 1
555 x 2

555 x 2

555 x 2

555 x 2

Relentless
03-09-2005, 12:36 PM
question for you - I know you said you did light weights for RGBP

but how do you unrack the weight? I thought you worked out alone in your basement? I found even 135 hard to unrack although I'm able to RGBP as much as I can regular-style (225+)

chris mason
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I do train alone... The life of the lonely man... :whiner:

Lol, in any event I train in my power cage and merely unrack the weight. I agree, it is a bit painful. When I train I just have to be sure to be far enough behind the bar to unrack it without too much fanfare.

GMCtrk
03-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Chris, how much do you weight, 555x2 for deads is great! Hopefully I can join you in the 500 club by the end of the year :)

chris mason
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I can pull 555 for more than 2 if I go to failure. My ego compels me to make that clarification...

Anyway, I am in the high 220s right now (I think).

chris mason
03-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I did partial squats last night.

Leg Extensions (to warmup the knees)

3 sets of 10 easy reps

Squats (partials)

135 x 9
225 x 8
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3
475 x 3
475 x 3
475 x 3

I then did some calf raises and that was all.

bill
03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Staying fairly strong in your old age! Those seated military press sound fun ...not.

Bruteman
03-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I do train alone... The life of the lonely man... :whiner:

Lol, in any event I train in my power cage and merely unrack the weight. I agree, it is a bit painful. When I train I just have to be sure to be far enough behind the bar to unrack it without too much fanfare.
Training alone rocks! At least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)

Where did you pick up reverse grip milli's? I've never heard of anyone but you doing that.

chris mason
03-13-2005, 12:37 PM
John Carl Grimek and Karl Norberg had a contest using a reverse grip clean and press way back when at an exhibition Grimek was giving. That is where I got the idea.

Squats today...

135 x 9
225 x 9
315 x 5
365 x 5
385 x 5
405 x 5
425 x 2
445 x 0 --- Ooooooo, lol, I didn't wait long enough and evidently was too spent from the previous sets.

Now I am going to do some revese grip benching with pitifully light weight...

135 x 9
185 x 8
225 x 8
265 x 3
285 x 3
295 x 2 --- hit the rack on the way up with the first :o( --- a bit of a consequence of where I have to position myself to unrack the weight

295 x 2

bill
03-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Chris you kill me, pitifully light aye?

chris mason
03-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, I suppose it is a relative thing. My overhead pressing power is quite good and my reverse grip bench press is relatively quite weak.

Bruteman
03-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Well, I suppose it is a relative thing. My overhead pressing power is quite good and my reverse grip bench press is relatively quite weak.
I wish I could be relatively your strength. lol

Nice session man.

bill
03-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Chris I curious if you or one of your associates would consider doing an article, on how they got their lifts up to the big leagues. Like I consider myself fairly strong and seems alot of people are my strength here. I think it would be a nice read if some one could chronicle how they got to 500 pd squats and bench 400+, dead lift 500+ that sort of thing. Just because you don't see many people able to true do nice lifts at most gyms unless it would be a powerlift meet or juiced person (I think it would be nice if they where natural) anyway sorry so long. Thanks Bill

I put those numbers in because most strong guys seem to be below those numbers and don't ever get closer or beyond them.

chris mason
03-15-2005, 03:27 PM
If you check on AtLarge we have posted an article on how James Searcy trained to hit his 1003 lbs squat.

Other than that we will post more articles in the future for sure.

Today was a lighter day due to a lot of work I had to do.

Reverse Grip Seated Presses:

135 x 8
185 x 6
205 x 4
225 x 3
235 x 3
245 x 3 --- Tough, got this on video.
245 x 3 --- Tougher! I will do a single or double next set.
245 x 2

That's enough.

Standing Barbell Curls:

135 x 10
155 x 10

I finished with some calf raises and that was enough.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I actually have several clients do bb curls to reverse-grip militaries.

Not to your strength, obviously, but I've found it's a good economy of time exercise.

lilmase1153
03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
RG seated press? man i gotta see that vid chris.. that is just nuts man

Chubrock
03-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Dang Chris nice lookin session. Those seated presses are crazy.

chris mason
03-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys.

chris mason
03-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Stiff-legged deadlifts today.

135 x 9
225 x 8
315 x 6
405 x 7

425 x 6

455 x 7

475 x 6

495 x 4

That was sufficient.

GMCtrk
03-18-2005, 05:30 PM
god you are strong...thats more than Yates does in blood and guts

chris mason
03-18-2005, 05:40 PM
My lower back does seem to be quite strong. If you watch my form in regular deadlifts I am using mostly lower back.

One of these days I am going to get my left hip/upper quad fixed so I can really get my legs going.

Now, Yates used a larger ROM than me I think. I do them to the floor while standing on the floor. I use a small knee bend as well. I think Yates did that but I also think he did them on an elevated platform and used a greater ROM.

GMCtrk
03-18-2005, 05:47 PM
My lower back does seem to be quite strong. If you watch my form in regular deadlifts I am using mostly lower back.

One of these days I am going to get my left hip/upper quad fixed so I can really get my legs going.

Now, Yates used a larger ROM than me I think. I do them to the floor while standing on the floor. I use a small knee bend as well. I think Yates did that but I also think he did them on an elevated platform and used a greater ROM.

Yes, I saw your 630 DL video and I was shocked it was basically a SLDL LOL. You would be pulling crazy numbers if you just had some leg drive

chris mason
03-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Yep, working on that. In fact, I found that the partial squats made a HUGE difference in my leg drive on deadlifts. I had to stop them for a few weeks as my knees just couldn't take it. I am back to doing them and should see a nice increase in my deadlift.

Bruteman
03-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Stiff-legged deadlifts today.

135 x 9
225 x 8
315 x 6
405 x 7

425 x 6

455 x 7

475 x 6

495 x 4

That was sufficient.
Ya' think?! hehe, strong effort as always man. :bow:

lilmase1153
03-19-2005, 11:59 PM
damn chris solid sldl's once again.. and if i dont see you when i go down to az in april your gonna have hell to pay :) j/k boss things are lookin good in here

chris mason
03-20-2005, 05:16 AM
We will have to try to arrange to meet. I have a lot of friends in Phoenix that I will need to see while there (lived there for 18 years and went to high school and college there as well) which will keep me busy, but we should be able to figure something out.

chris mason
03-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Ok, some reverse grip bench and barbell curls today.

Reverse Grip Bench

135 x 9
185 x 8
225 x 8
245 x 4
275 x 2
295 x 2 --- not feeling my oats in terms of being fully recovered
295 x 2

That was enough because I want to try to curl 195 lbs with my back and butt propped against a wall. I will get a video of the attempt.

Standing Barbell Curls (7' bar)

135 x 10

The rest of the sets will be with my back against a wall.

155 x 1

195 x miss! ****!!!! This pissed me off as I thought I would have it. I suppose the reverse grip bench first was not such a hot idea.

185 x miss --- Curse words cannot properly express my disgust here!!!!! Oh well, that is enough for today!

chris mason
03-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Partial squats today.

I first did 3 sets of light leg extensions to warmup my knees.

135 x 9
225 x 9
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3
475 x 3
495 x 3
505 x 3

MJH
03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
295 for a double on RG bench is nuts Chris, awesome work. Are you still chugging milk during your workouts?

BTW, when you say partial squats, how deep are you going?

chris mason
03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Not very deep. I would guess about half way to parallel maybe just a touch less.

chris mason
03-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, I've been fighting a bug of some sort for the last several days. Nothing too bad, just feeling some aches and tired.

Anyway, not 100% today but decided to train anyway.

Squats:

135 x 9
225 x 8
315 x 8
365 x 5
405 x 3
425 x 2

Really, this wasn't too bad (above) as I had not full squatted (to parallel or very close) in 14 days. There is definitely a coordination or "groove" issue if I wait too long and mix in partials between these.

I think I will do a bit of reverse grip seated shoulder presses as well.

135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 4
245 x 3 --- got this on video
255 x 2 --- 2nd one was quite tough

Dedicated
03-27-2005, 01:39 PM
I see you still are super strong, nice lifts.

Isaac Wilkins
04-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Chris, have you thought about getting a loose(ish) set of briefs for squatting? I know you like no-no-no squats, but it might help with your hip/quad impingement.

chris mason
04-03-2005, 05:11 PM
No, but I did buy some knee wraps. I should get them in a few days.

Actually, your idea sounds good and I may have to give it a try.

RuLess
04-03-2005, 07:10 PM
reverse grip seated shoulder presses

with all that weight.. wow