PDA

View Full Version : Would CoCheese in a pwo shake slow protein uptake?

AKraut
02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I know that milk is not generally recommended in a post-workout shake, or most any shake for that matter. I have been on and off of a CKD, and I discovered that adding cottage cheese to a water-based protein shake makes it creamy and taste even better although I'm well used to the taste of a water/ice/powder shake. I would say I'm only adding 1/4-1/2 cup at most, is this causing the same effect as using milk for a shake pwo?

jazer80
02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
i'm 99% sure there's casein (the protein in milk that clots and slows digestion, making it a bad candidate for pwo) in cottage cheese.

Vido
02-01-2005, 08:28 PM
You don't want to slow the protein digestion post-workout...hence, the reason most suggest having post-workout shakes with water, not milk.

Optimum08
02-01-2005, 08:30 PM
yes, like vido said...take PWO shakes with water so it digests faster, which is what is desired post workout....save the milk/cottage cheese/casien protein for times when u need protein over an extended amount of time...say when your sleeping...

AKraut
02-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys, I was expecting that answer. I guess I was just hoping somehow magically that water+cocheese+whey would uptake faster than whey+milk but now that I think about it, it's probably a equivalent amount of casein and cocheese+water isnt' a far cry from milk itself, doh!

chuck_b
02-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Also let's not forget about mixing the whey with juice, if it doesn't taste good mixed with water.