PDA

View Full Version : Football Players?

HvT_StiNs_47
02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey does anyone play football, Are their and excersises that you would recommend that would be helpful?

ElwoodM4
02-01-2005, 08:43 PM
What position do you plan on playing next season?

andy51
02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Squats, deads, Bench, Cleans. In general big compounds and explosive lifts

Adam
02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Train your posterior.
Hams, glutes, lowerback.

GMCtrk
02-01-2005, 10:14 PM
deadddds!!! heavy!

Optimum08
02-01-2005, 10:16 PM
im with andy...big compound lifts and lots of explosive hip and fast twitch muscle type work...interval training for cardio as it mimicks the 20 seconds full-speed then minute rest of game-type playing....

BigRic
02-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Depends on the positions, and remember strength and size isn't everything, for some positions, speed and quick feet are also very important.

BigCorey75
02-02-2005, 12:09 AM
heavy lifting for strength and olympic lifting and plyometrics for explosiveness...

but to really become good just become an ******* on the field and be willing to take the guy across from you rip his head off and **** down their throat....

thats how you really become a good player, its all in the attiude

westy
02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
It does depend on postion I play DB and I found my posterior chain needed extra work, but because I am undersized (5'8" and 175lb) I tend to rely on the big compound lifts and a lot of food to help me grow.

IMO you also want to make sure you are performing the lifts as quickly as possible on the concentric phase (obvioulsy under control)

Finally if you are in the off-season concentrate on your legs as it's very difficult to work them hard during the season.

JMO

Tommy7010
02-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Squats, deads, Bench, Cleans. In general big compounds and explosive lifts

That is exactly the routine we do on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I play center and I have found that those are the most beneficial for me. Jammer Explosions are good too...I don't know if you have access to those machines though.

We alternate

6x6 at 70% of our max
and
4x4 at 85% of our max

good stuff

BigRic
02-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure what jammer explosions are, but I think I have an idea.
Put the end of a bar in the corner put weights on the end that isn't in the corner, and then do one hand at a time, an explosive push.

HvT_StiNs_47
02-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Yea im going to be a Line backer next year... i played db this year but we lost all of our Line backers so i have pretty good footspeed but i would love to gain mroe.. I also play lacrosse which sets me back from lifting. What does the dead lift do for you?

Optimum08
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
linebacker is the way to go man....thats my position...u should check out my journal if u want some ideas of what kind of lifts etc....deadlifts are hip explosiveness, leg strengtheners, and overall just a good lift especially for football players...cleans are also a good football lift because of its compound nature and explosive hips it requires...but u have to make sure your technique is good before you go heavy on either...cuz bad form on either can cause major injuries...by the way...HVT what state r u in?

dasher
02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
wat r cleans?

andy51
02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
dasher... search you will find tons of results.

HvT_StiNs_47
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
In Delaware Hodgson vo tech

jack_of_all
02-03-2005, 03:59 PM
wat r cleans?

in case you didnt find
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html

also, i think cleans are a GREAT exercise for any sport, but do deads and squats too.

BigRic
02-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Some people may not believe this, but I say add a bodybuilding/power routine, your kind of underweight for a linebacker, asuming your going to be playing varsity, so gaining size is very important.

AstronautJones
02-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Jammers : http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Power/LVJam.html

Gordo
02-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Explosive compound lifts. Foot speed-dot drill. Really helps with foot speed. Try Jump Squats to add explosiveness to your legs. You may be a little light if you are playing at a big school/big league, but if you have good speed that can make up for it. I am a linebacker coach and some of the best kids I have coached and seen were 180-200. You have a lot of time to add that 15 lbs. if you get after it now.

nosetackle2005
03-02-2005, 07:14 AM
For the linebacker position, on top of the big 3 (squats, bench & deads) try adding powerlifts such as cleans or snatches to increase your speed.

Let me know if you need a breakdown on how cleans and/or snatches work.

GOOD LUCK! :hello:

Danzavair
03-09-2005, 03:32 PM
interval training, glute ham machine, core strength abs and back, jerk press, cleans, do everything explosive...if you are doing bench or dumbell bench go down slow and explode on the way up....then your normal power lifts dead, bench, squat

fixationdarknes
03-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I have a quick question. Would doing the concentric phase of an exercise explosively/quickly cause you to have to use less weight than if you did it slowly?

Isaac Wilkins
03-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a quick question. Would doing the concentric phase of an exercise explosively/quickly cause you to have to use less weight than if you did it slowly?

That doesn't make sense. If you're slowing down the concentric then you have to reduce weight.

Powerlifters train speed so that they can be explosive on the concentric and therefore use more weight.

Edit: Looking back on the thread I think your question was just poorly worded. Are you trying to become more explosive through dynamic lifting? If so, then the weight is usually reduced to 40-70% of a 1RM and performed explosively for low rep sets.

Mission
03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
1-4 reps per set on compounds

fixationdarknes
03-10-2005, 10:06 PM
That doesn't make sense. If you're slowing down the concentric then you have to reduce weight.

Powerlifters train speed so that they can be explosive on the concentric and therefore use more weight.

Edit: Looking back on the thread I think your question was just poorly worded. Are you trying to become more explosive through dynamic lifting? If so, then the weight is usually reduced to 40-70% of a 1RM and performed explosively for low rep sets.

What I meant was: I want to have more explosiveness, and to do that (doing explosive reps), would I use less weight during my working sets than if I was to do the reps at normal speed?

And from the looks of your post, it seems that I would in fact have to lower the weight.

Isaac Wilkins
03-11-2005, 06:02 AM
We do all of our working sets explosively.

A 1RM can be explosive, even though technically it can be a very slow lift.

Read Adam's West Side article here on WBB and some stuff on West Side at www.elitefts.com.

Look into the Dynamic Effort Method. We train the explosive quality seperately and exclusively, although it's used in almost all lifts.

CrazyK
03-11-2005, 11:25 PM
For sport training, don't train specifically for movements, train the muscles. Get stronger overall, don't just worry about your bench and squat.

Ares
03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Training for sports is overrated! Just lift like you normally would.

thetrain27
03-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Didn't know there was so many fellow football players on here. Try this site along with this one. This one i go to is dedicated to athletes more and has some good stuff. Check it out.
Athletes-United.com

EHSathlete
03-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I think a body building workout AND power workout on your upper body, and power on your lower body, and LOTS of ab workouts/ agilities. Those will help at line backer.

If you can keep your quickness while making your legs bigger, then make your legs bigger too.

KoSh
04-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm walking on at a d3 school right now as an outside linebacker...

Just do core power lifts...

Deadlift
Bench press
Squat
Cleans
Jammers
Plyometrics
etc.