PDA

View Full Version : HIIT on an elliptical? Also, pre/post drink for it?

manowar669
02-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm cutting now, and I've been doing 40min on the elliptical at a low intensity (HR 130). I was gonna try a higher intensity for shorter duration. Just wondering if anyone has tried HIIT on an elliptical. Did you program the thing, or just put it on "manual", get going at 60rpm for a minute or 2 then go to 110rpm for 1 minute, drop back to 60rpm for 2 minutes, etc.?

I've been doing my 40min low intensity on a fasting stomach in the morning. I've heard both sides of the argument, and I was gonna try it with pre/post nutrition, or shouldn't I. I've felt that I may be losing a little too much muscle during my cuts, and was thinking this may help. Your thoughts?

Vido
02-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I would select the "manual" setting. I would also do shorter intervals, such as 30 seconds balls-to-the-wall, followed by 30 seconds more slowly.

You're supposed to treat HIIT basically like a workout in terms of pre and post-nutrition. I can't say I always abide by that, but it's probably a good idea.

TheSicilian
02-02-2005, 12:03 AM
if one was to do the 30 second on/off training....how long should the session go for...5 minutes? 10 minutes?

Vido
02-02-2005, 12:26 AM
if one was to do the 30 second on/off training....how long should the session go for...5 minutes? 10 minutes?

I think it depends on your cardiovascular ability. To me, anything less than 10 minutes is a waste of time. I personally do 20, and the most I've heard of is Aka23 doing 30.

ryuage
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM
actually he did an hour of 1 minute/ 1 minute intervals :)

I've done hiit on the elliptical before, I would do 45 seconds-1 minute as fast as I could on the highest level then switch it to about level 6-8 for the recovery minute.

Double D
02-02-2005, 02:20 PM
For those that have actually done :alcoholic HIIT on an eliptical wow did you like it. I currently do it on a stepper. I find with the eliptical when you inc the level it just gets harder to push, you are not actually moving faster. I thought the purpose of HIIT was to simulate a sprint, moving as fast as you can.

Anyway, let me know if you like HIIT on the Eliptical.

Vido
02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Well, if you think about it, "pushing harder" is really equivalent to "moving faster" in terms of work done. Go back a few years to your high school physics course. Work = force x distance. "Pushing harder" means more force, "moving faster" means more distance...same result.

That being said, the few times I've done HIIT on the eliptical (yes, I too usually use the stepper) I haven't changed the resistance, only the speed at which I'm going.

dissipate
02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
I do HIIT on the elliptical regularly and use the manual setting as I want to be able to stay in control of resistance and speed. My intervals are 30s long and I gradually raise the resistance over 40-45 mins.