PDA

View Full Version : Has my metabolism gone dead?

golfbobbyhill
02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I've been watching the diet (reduced the calories and the fat), am doing stregnth training 2 nights a week, cardio training 3 nights a week, and pre-breakfast cardio training 4 mornings a week with little to no weight/fat loss.

I've fought being overweight my whole adult life (currently 5'11, 220lbs, out of shape) but in the past have periodically been able to cut it down to 190-200lbs with diet and exercise.

At 28 years old could my metabolism go south? Any suggestions?

andy51
02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
how long have you been doing this? You may be overtraining. In some overtraining cases the body goes into survival mode and holds onto everything. What does your diet look like exactly? And yes age could slow metabolism.

AdmiralDan
02-02-2005, 05:17 PM
how many calories are you taking in? if i had to guess, i would say you aren't taking in nearly enough considering how much cardio you are doing. you need to reevaluate your diet. also, some fats are good for you and you should consume then. don't just cut out fats

Geeper
02-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Start using Fitday.com to track your food (it's free) and get your thyroid checked! I was 6' and 275-280 pounds, trained 7 days a week, cardio everyday, weights everyday ate 1700 cals and couldn't loose a single pound. Got my thyroid checked and it was completely dead, it was physically impossible for me to loose weight, in fact my metabolism was slowing down so much they were worried about me going into a coma. Started taking thyroid medication and the weight just flew off me, now properly medicated I've become a bit of a hardgainer.

SO yes, your metabolism could be slowing down, and I should add that overtraining, under eating ect did not create my thyroid problem, it's not something you can catch or make happen.