PDA

View Full Version : No protein and still gaining

bIgHwN86
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
i just want to know who here does not take protein powder or is taking very little and is still gaining muscle and strength...found out from reliable sources that i may have some kidney stones...i hope not but just wondering about people on the board..thanks

Ritzol
02-02-2005, 11:15 PM
i just want to know who here does not take protein powder or is taking very little and is still gaining muscle and strength...found out from reliable sources that i may have some kidney stones...i hope not but just wondering about people on the board..thanks

I don't take any supplements, except energy pills sometimes, and I'm gaining muscle..

I eat FOOD.... it seems to work well, too well sometimes.

I am in better shape now than when I was taking a lot of supplements.. you name it. I think people get too caught up in them sometimes, and they start doing more harm than good.

bIgHwN86
02-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Riztol: do you have a journal or something...just something that i can look at b/c this kidney stones stuff is scaring the crap out of me....

Ritzol
02-02-2005, 11:47 PM
hahha... you definitely don't want a lot of diet advice from me.

But.. do you have a lot of calcium in your diet? Because too much calcium will definitely cause kidney stones.

Shao-LiN
02-02-2005, 11:50 PM

Did you think you needed protein powder to gain muscle? You know chicken, beef, milk, etc. all contain protein, right?

Vido
02-03-2005, 12:24 AM
:withstupi

accuFLEX
02-03-2005, 06:05 AM
i eat about 125g of protein per day. Im adding strength

Adam
02-03-2005, 08:18 AM
As shao stated, real food has protein just like supps.
The main difference is that most protein supps are whey, which is digested very quickly. You can still take protein supps and be gentle on your kidney. Just go for ones like Nitrean with alot of casein and egg protein, there slower acting.

waynis
02-03-2005, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Ritzol

But.. do you have a lot of calcium in your diet? Because too much calcium will definitely cause kidney stones.[/QUOTE]

not enough calcium can also lead to kidney stones.

protein powder is a supplement. If your getting your daily need of protein threw meals there is never a need to supplement protein powder.

bIgHwN86
02-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Shao Lin: Yes, i did think i needed protein powder...and i think i still do..honestly

Riztol&waynis: too much and too little!..well i have been eating a lot of cottage cheese lately...and i mean like 2lbs of it a day...is that a lot of calcium?

Adam: slow acting protein works softly on the kidneys..good?

thanks guys...i am liking the advice and the discussion..this stuff is scaring the hell out of me..i already had gall stones! i don't want kidney stones now!

Adam
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
It works more softly because it doesn't go there all at once. Its sorta like time released.

waynis
02-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Riztol&waynis: too much and too little!..well i have been eating a lot of cottage cheese lately...and i mean like 2lbs of it a day...is that a lot of calcium?

If you do indeed have a kidney stone already you may need to limit your cacium. A registered dietitian would be able to tell you just how much calcium to take along with what else to take.

For now make sure your drinking a lot of water and mainly water. Atleast 10-12 glasses a day. This will clean out your system to wash away un-wanted particles.

Avoid caffeine completly. YOu wanna stay hydrated at all times.

Also you wanna start keeping your salt or sodium intake low.

bIgHwN86
02-03-2005, 03:12 PM
waynis: but do you think that much cottage cheese would be a problem...i don't think so, but i don't have certification to say that...or enough experience..i know that cup of noodle has a lot of sodium in it but its the only thing that i can mix my tuna..mixing tuna w/oatmeal would make me gag...

Adam: time release..sounds pretty cool..

iLUDEd
02-07-2005, 02:54 AM
whey is a supp, its there to help you get in some protein if you dont get enough through your diet.

Shao-LiN
02-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Shao Lin: Yes, i did think i needed protein powder...and i think i still do..honestly

Adam: slow acting protein works softly on the kidneys..good?

thanks guys...i am liking the advice and the discussion..this stuff is scaring the hell out of me..i already had gall stones! i don't want kidney stones now!

You don't need any supplement. If you totally removed protein powder from your diet, all you would have to do to make up the difference is eat more whole food. Believing you need any supplement to make you grow is a crutch, I'd get off that mentality. Although whey protein may be an ideal supplement during times of work outs, it definately is not necessary.

waynis
02-07-2005, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=bIgHwN86]waynis: but do you think that much cottage cheese would be a problem...i don't think so, but i don't have certification to say that...or enough experience..i know that cup of noodle has a lot of sodium in it but its the only thing that i can mix my tuna..mixing tuna w/oatmeal would make me gag...

/QUOTE]

I couldn't say. If your getting tuna go for reduced sodium.