PDA

View Full Version : Brown rice and muliti grain rice cakes????

muscle chic
02-03-2005, 02:35 PM
1/2 a cup of brown rice has the same grams as about 4 rice cakes. The rice cakes are made from brown rice also. I'm assuming because the rice cakes are puffed that's why it seems like more. Anyway my question is are they equal as far as starches go? Like could I eat 4 rice cakes instead of 1/2 a cup of rice?

Manveet
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
1/2 a cup of brown rice has the same grams as about 4 rice cakes. The rice cakes are made from brown rice also. I'm assuming because the rice cakes are puffed that's why it seems like more. Anyway my question is are they equal as far as starches go? Like could I eat 4 rice cakes instead of 1/2 a cup of rice?

I'm not sure.

But those rice cakes must be processed, so things are probably added to it. Whether or not this has any bearing on the GI, or starch content, I don't know.

Dirt
02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I've always been under the impression rice cakes (of any kind) had insanely high GI due to processing. I can't substantiate that with anything, but I recall reading that on another nutrition board a long time ago when someone was using rice cakes in their diet.

chops
02-04-2005, 01:41 PM
:withstupi:

Vido
02-04-2005, 03:21 PM
As people have pointed out, the GI of rice cakes is far higher than brown rice due to the processing.

Optimum08
02-04-2005, 03:31 PM
:withstupi......if worst comes to worst i think the rice cakes are alright...but definetly not as healthy as the half cup of brown rice....whats wrong with eating the half cup of rice?

AKraut
02-04-2005, 05:34 PM
halfcup? man, I eat like 2 cups at a time....

Vido
02-04-2005, 06:28 PM
halfcup? man, I eat like 2 cups at a time....

She's a female, leave her alone :D

muscle chic
02-05-2005, 07:58 AM
:withstupi......if worst comes to worst i think the rice cakes are alright...but definetly not as healthy as the half cup of brown rice....whats wrong with eating the half cup of rice?

I eat brown rice too but the rice cakes are more like munchie food. I guess I'll stick to the brown rice and have the rice cakes only when I really feel the need.

wrestlemaniac
02-05-2005, 08:42 PM
If these are the same "diet" rice cakes I'm thinking of then you'd be better off eating a hand full of sugar since it doesn't taste like ass (and yes, has the same GI as rice cakes).

Edit : Feb, 05 - 10:52 (figured I'd be a little extra helpfull today) :)

Quick ref : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino14.htm

PROCESSING: The GI's of carbohydrates can rise due to the processing of certain foods. Any carbohydrates that are puffed, made instant, or gelatinized, will have a much higher GI than if they weren't processed. An example is a rice cake. That has a glycemic index almost as high as glucose, about as high of a GI as you can get! Can you believe that, and for all this time people have been swallowing bags of rice cakes not knowing they are recognized by the body as worse than table sugar.

and just in case you don't understand GI : basicly GI measures how fast a food is digested. If Carbs are digested quick then they raise blood sugar and the body reacts by storing as much food as possible (thats not exactly it but thats good enough for now).

Vido
02-05-2005, 08:49 PM
If these are the same "diet" rice cakes I'm thinking of then you'd be better off eating a hand full of sugar since it doesn't taste like ass (and yes, has the same GI as rice cakes).

lol, totally agree