PDA

View Full Version : Protein bars

CBates
11-21-2001, 10:02 AM
I have been thinking about adding some protein bars in my diet due to the amount of protein they have in them, but I have a few questions. I see all kinds of different protein bars, some are high in fat, but real low in carbs. Then some are low in fat, but really high in carbs. I was wondering if one is going through a cutting stage which one, if either, would be the best one to take? Also when going through a bulking stage which one would be the best to take? Also is there any brands anybody would recommend over the other? Thanks in advance for any device. :help:

Wizard
11-21-2001, 10:06 AM
The best one IMO is Nitro-Tech no matter if you're bulking or cutting eventhough I'd prefer it mostly when cutting.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-21-2001, 10:08 AM
protein bars used sugar alcohols to keep the texture and consistency so they ain't very good, but i have been using them recently at school because of the convienience. I have been cutting and using myoplex low carb bars. Quite tasty too.

Jane
11-21-2001, 11:56 AM
don't some of them have messed up nutritional facts labels? for example, Met-Rx Protein Plus has an 85g serving size for the bar, but protein, fat, and carbs account for only fifty-something grams. That means the rest is probably glycerol or glycerin or whatever that unclassified stuff is called, with a caloric value of 4.36 that isn't accounted for in total calories. just because it doesn't affect blood sugar levels like carbs do, doesn't mean it doesnt have a caloric value.

am i right here, or just paranoid?

Wizard
11-21-2001, 12:40 PM
Sugar alcohols have a smaller caloric value than carbs.

Examples:
Calories per g./Sugar alcohol
2.6 calories per gram sorbitol
2.4 calories per gram xylitol
2.1 calories per gram maltitol
2.0 calories per gram isomalt
2.0 calories per gram lactitol
1.6 calories per gram mannitol
0.2 calories per gram erythritol

They are slowly and incompletely absorbed from the small intestine into the blood.The portion that is absorbed is metabolized by processes that require little or no insulin.

w8lifter
11-21-2001, 02:27 PM
If you're cutting, no bars are good

Jane
11-21-2001, 02:28 PM
so what does that mean in terms of caloric value? are the nutrition facts nearly correct then?

Wizard
11-21-2001, 02:43 PM
The nutrition facts are 100% correct.

The fact is that most of the bars don't mention the amount of sugar alcohols they contain.There are some though that include the sugar alcohols in the facts.

SweatHawg
11-22-2001, 12:00 AM
Nutrition listed is supposed to be correct. IMO-Met-Rx products tastes like friggin chewy cardboard! I tried Carb solutions yesterday as I had run out of my Optimum whey (damn!) & they have a PB & choc bar with 22 G of protein & only 2 G of carbs-also:8 G of fat & 230 cals ea. It tastes pretty good-though none of them are just mouth watering.
I would rather have my whey shakes but I use bars frequently for conveinience as Chigs said.....

Maki Riddington
11-22-2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by w8lifter
If you're cutting, no bars are good

*** Yup.

Wizard
11-22-2001, 03:53 AM
I disagree

w8lifter
11-22-2001, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Wizard
I disagree

Why?

Because they have valuable protein? That's crap. When you're cutting, you should be eating clean food. Get your protein from real food sources. If you need to supplement, go w/ a 0-carb high-quality protein shake. Protein bars are nothing more than expensive glorified chocolate bars w/ added protein. Have you ever looked at the ingredient list on a protein bar? Even the higher-quality low carb bars have sh*t in them you can't pronounce.

YatesNightBlade
11-22-2001, 05:34 AM
I don't even have Protein Shakes when cutting.

w8lifter
11-22-2001, 06:41 AM
Neither do I, but if were going to supplement, that sure as hell would be better than a protein bar. :)

Wizard
11-22-2001, 08:18 AM
You said that when you're cutting you should focus on clean food and real food sources.
There's a need to argue now :D

I ask you:

1.Are you happy when you live on boneless skinless chicken breast or turkey?Or you just eat to fuel your body? :rolleyes:

2.Including a bar to your diet while keeping your calories at the level where you can loose weight isn't the same thing as including "real food" and keeping your cals at the same level?

3.Isn't the protein -on certain bars- of better quality than "real food" sources?

4.The shits that you believe I can't pronounce are called sugar alcohols and are superior to the regular form of sugar.(sucrose)
They don't raise insulin levels and are even used by diabetics under the approval of the FDA while they have a lower caloric value.(I provided the values on my previous post).

5.All the bars contain lots of vitamins,minerals and certain bars contain even glutamine,creatine,aminos etc..
Just for those who provide as a negative element the price of the bars.Does a turkey breast contain all these vits etc?

6.When you're on the go (ok,this is a special occasion but it exists sometimes for some of us),can you bring a taperwear(sp?) with a chicken breast with you?? Isn't it easier to bring a bar with you and be relaxed?

Tryska
11-22-2001, 08:23 AM
i've used those bars on several occassions...

particularly helpful if you are low-carbing, and pre-menstrual and tweaking for some sugar.

ElPietro
11-22-2001, 08:36 AM
The best one IMO is Nitro-Tech no matter if you're bulking or cutting eventhough I'd prefer it mostly when cutting.

Ditto...Nitrotech is the best by far that I've tried or researched. With the ratios it has it is amazing that they've gotten it to all pack together nicely and actually taste good too. It's sugar is limited and it's got probably the best label for any bar clearly outlining everything in a good format. I found them to be the same price as all the other high protein/low carb bars.

If you aren't sure about tastes just buy 3 or 4 different bars individually that meet your needs then when you got the winner get a box.

ps. I agree with everything Wiz has said...protein bars are convenient, taste better than broiled/grilled plain chicken, and are superior to many other foods that you could eat. I need to get more but usually keep a box at work.

Hot Shot
11-22-2001, 11:34 AM
Nitro-tech bars taste awesome

w8lifter
11-22-2001, 02:48 PM
You said that when you're cutting you should focus on clean food and real food sources.
There's a need to argue now :D

I ask you:

1.Are you happy when you live on boneless skinless chicken breast or turkey?Or you just eat to fuel your body? :rolleyes:

Yes

2.Including a bar to your diet while keeping your calories at the level where you can loose weight isn't the same thing as including "real food" and keeping your cals at the same level?

no

3.Isn't the protein -on certain bars- of better quality than "real food" sources?

Like I said, the protein doesn't necessarily make it okay to eat the rest of the crap

4.The shits that you believe I can't pronounce are called sugar alcohols and are superior to the regular form of sugar.(sucrose)
They don't raise insulin levels and are even used by diabetics under the approval of the FDA while they have a lower caloric value.(I provided the values on my previous post).

I bet chicken doesn't even have sugar alcohols

5.All the bars contain lots of vitamins,minerals and certain bars contain even glutamine,creatine,aminos etc..
Just for those who provide as a negative element the price of the bars.Does a turkey breast contain all these vits etc?

Vitamins? poor excuse to eat a chocolate bar IMO

6.When you're on the go (ok,this is a special occasion but it exists sometimes for some of us),can you bring a taperwear(sp?) with a chicken breast with you?? Isn't it easier to bring a bar with you and be relaxed?

Ya do what ya gotta do

:D

Wizard
11-23-2001, 12:48 AM
I exposed my opinion,you did the same,now we should leave the crowd to choose. :D

YatesNightBlade
11-23-2001, 02:29 AM
I think it depends on how strict you wanna be. If you wanna be shredded and wanna compete ...... shakes and Protein bars are a BIG NO NO !!! If you trying to shread a little fat ..... a few now and then is not a problem.

w8lifter
11-23-2001, 05:57 AM
Yates is right...when I think of cutting I usually think of contest dieting. Not everyone goes that strict.

Mostly I just get sick of hearing people whine that they can't lose weight, example:

I can't loose weight, I eat a clean diet, I only have 4 protein bars a day, I'm really busy and it's all I can manage, it's better than nothing right? I lift weights 6 days a week (need my rest on the 7th day) and I do cardio for an hour and a half every day before my weights. Help!

Okay, sorry, didn't mean to go into a rant :D but it felt damn good. I think I have finally found my voice...and all it took was stepping down as Mod, gee I feel so ....free.......okay :rolleyes: yet another rant, i'll go get some coffee now :D

YatesNightBlade
11-23-2001, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by w8lifter
, i'll go get some coffee now :D

Sounds like your having too much babe. lol

Wizard
11-23-2001, 09:30 AM
No more than 10(the most) members of the wbb forums compete,so keep eating your bars people! :D

w8lifter
11-23-2001, 10:06 AM
Wizard works for Nitro-tech

;) :p

Wizard
11-23-2001, 11:54 AM
No way,I work for Muscletech ;)

hemants
11-23-2001, 01:08 PM
I just tried a Nitro tech bar yesterday. Didn't taste too bad but the problem is it has the same gooey consistency when it comes out the other end.

:)

How do u guys deal with that?

w8lifter
11-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by hemants
I just tried a Nitro tech bar yesterday. Didn't taste too bad but the problem is it has the same gooey consistency when it comes out the other end.

:)

How do u guys deal with that?

TMI! tuttut

SweatHawg
11-24-2001, 12:22 AM
.....yeah---thanks for sharing that Hem......

ElPietro
11-26-2001, 07:13 AM
I don't work for muscle-tech but let me tell you...

..after eating one nitrotech bar a day for a week I was able to increase all my lifts by 1650%, and recover 2000% quicker than normal, leading to a 900% increase in LBM in just 2 weeks!

Yeah muscletech has BS ads but, this particular bar is great IMO.

Oh and hemants no need to get too graphic... tuttut