PDA

View Full Version : Clean and jerk

twm
02-04-2005, 08:58 AM
When you clean and jerk, do you do a push press at the end or a split leg press as pictured in the animation on exrx.net? I've given the split leg press a try, but its so awkward for me that I have just been substituting a push press at the end.

Also, I clocked myself in the chin with the bar on my final 1RM set.. I thought I knocked some teeth out, but fortunately, just a little sore. Fortunately, no one saw it :cool:

Ja113
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I try to do the jerk (split press) and yes...it is a little akward compared to the push press....

Having said that, I will do push presses as well....(will alternate every so often) as I can push press more than I can jerk.

You may want to try jerks from the rack to help with that phase of the lift.

justhrowit
02-06-2005, 11:55 AM
When you clean and jerk, do you do a push press at the end or a split leg press as pictured in the animation on exrx.net? I've given the split leg press a try, but its so awkward for me that I have just been substituting a push press at the end.

Also, I clocked myself in the chin with the bar on my final 1RM set.. I thought I knocked some teeth out, but fortunately, just a little sore. Fortunately, no one saw it :cool:

I think it really depends on your goals! If your just looking for stregth gains, than a push press is just fine. If your looking to compete in the clean and jerk, then learn how to jerk correctly. A lot of the jerk (like the clean) is a timing thing. Watch someone who is pretty good at them and your will see there bodies drop at the same time their arms raise. In the world of competitive clean and jerks...timing is huge!

Bruise Brubaker
02-06-2005, 01:08 PM
I push press because in a normal gym with normal weight plates I find it too dangerous to jerk. I'm afraid of losing the bar or something and killing a few people, or maybe it would go through the floor

AKraut
02-23-2005, 02:47 PM
I did clean and jerks for the first time today and the jerk part is definitely awkward. I weigh 160, so I wanted to get a feel for it with just 100lbs. That felt good so I loaded up 140 and it didn't feel heavy, but right after the jerk I got a SPLITTING headache in the back of my head. I don't know if by focusing on the form I forgot to breathe or what, but when I tried it again, making sure to take a big breath before the jerk the headache came right back and it's still kind of lingering an hour later. I don't know if my CNS wasn't ready for it or what, I had just benched 3 heavy sets and I warmed up 10 mins on the bike. This is a lift I want to work into my bench day so I've gotta give it another go next time. I also may work on the jerk alone to get my balance right because I feel strong enough to at least do my bodyweight but I don't want to cause a scene.