PDA

View Full Version : bulking

truest
02-04-2005, 12:04 PM
im 5 6, 117 pnds...im sticking to a routine of 80 grams of fat, 350 carbs and about 2400-3000 calories a day, is that a good way to bulk or do i need some improvement?...also ive been told i can have 2 cheat days a week im just tryin to get some more input on this...thanx

Collegekid
02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
You can't say your on a "diet" (whether it's a bulking diet or a cutting diet) if you're cheating 2 days a week, which is almost 1/3 of your meals. If you want to "cheat" fine, but it's idiotic to say you're on any kind of eating plan when every third day you're deviating from it.

Also, there are no rules about how many cheat meals you can have.

Tholly
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
If your gaining weight on your diet than keep it up, if your not gaining than ad more caliories. I dont know why you would need to cheat on a bulk, but I would say once a week is enough. I usally only cheat Once a week while cutting.

Vido
02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
If you start gaining mass doing that then it's fine. If you don't, you need to eat more. It's good you're keeping track of calories, but at your size I would just try to eat anything and everything I could get my hands on.

Vido
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Who cares about the cheating, honestly. At 117 lbs he could make every day a cheat day and probably be making a lot of progress. If you have a fast metabolism, the only downside to eating garbage is from a health standpoint, otherwise it's just extra calories to grow.

kpdus
02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
truest, how did you arrive to 2400-3000 cals figure? What are your current cardio and weight lifting routines?

truest
02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
someone i talked to told me the calorie count herez my routine
SUNDAY-abs (100 situps, 200 crunches, 125 leg lifts)
MONDAY-chest~close grip/wide grip bb bench sets of 10,8,6~db presses 4 sets of 6,db pull overs 4 sets of 6...diamond pushups
triceps-tri pulls
TUESDAY-arms~db curls 3x10
curlbar 3x10
125 wide set incline pushups
WEDNESDAY-chest(same as on monday)
back-pulls
abs (same as on sunday)
THURSDAY-legs (squats)
arms (same as on tuesday)
125 incline pushups
FRIDAY-chest (same as on monday)
abs (same as on sunday)
SATURDAY-arms (same as on tuesday)
125 incline pushups

i do have a fast metabolism...what would be the max number of fat grams i can eat in a day, can like someone help me out with a eating routine or is it fine?

Optimum08
02-04-2005, 05:29 PM
hmm r u gaining muscle/weight on this diet your on now? if not then up the cals a lot...cuz 2400-3000 cals for a hardgainer isn't anything....

truest
02-04-2005, 05:31 PM
i just started this bulking thing on tuesday...how often should i check?

gcs118
02-04-2005, 05:45 PM
If you are bulking there should be pretty much no limit to the fats and carbs, and especially not proteins. At 117 lbs and 5'6", don't worry about eating too much or taking "cheat days." I'd think you'd need to increase to at least 3000-4000 calories if you are a hard gainer though.

truest
02-04-2005, 05:48 PM
i appreciate all the feed guyz...thanx and keep the info comin

Vido
02-04-2005, 06:27 PM
First off, start training your whole body. Why the heck aren't you training your back? Aside from legs, it's the biggest muscle region in your body by far.

Second, try to gain 1 lb/week or so. If you're not gaining at least this much, increase calories.

Third, don't worry about maximum numbers of each macronutrient, just pound as much food as you can down. If you're anything like the typical "hardgainer" you don't have a very big appetite, so it's eating enough calories that's the problem, not too many calories.

kpdus
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
truest and ALL, How would you determine if one has a fast metabolism or not (apart from not growing at a certain number of calories)? Interestingly most recommendations I've seen on various sites say that one needs 18-20 cals per lb of bodyweight for bulking. 117 * 20 = 2340, i.e. much less than 3000. Perhaps 18-20x works better for a higher range of bodyweights?

truest, are you doing any cardio?

Thanks.

truest
02-04-2005, 06:57 PM
yeah im doing cardio...ill let someone answer the metabolism question for you i dont want to give you false info. but youll know if you eat a whole crapload and never gain...most of us youngens have it...2340 calories, eh? that sounds like a regular diet man im not sure about that

thajeepster
02-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I heard its not good to train 7 days a week, your body needs rest days to rebuild muscle tissue, this may be why you are not growing. Am i wrong here guys? Personally I work out 4 days a week, monday, tuesday thursday and friday. Chest Tris-MON, Back Bis-Tues, Legs Shoulders-Thurs, Arms-Friday.

truest
02-04-2005, 07:31 PM
i dont count sunday all i do is abs...i dont consider it really "training"

AdmiralDan
02-04-2005, 07:35 PM
First off, start training your whole body. Why the heck aren't you training your back? Aside from legs, it's the biggest muscle region in your body by far.

Second, try to gain 1 lb/week or so. If you're not gaining at least this much, increase calories.

Third, don't worry about maximum numbers of each macronutrient, just pound as much food as you can down. If you're anything like the typical "hardgainer" you don't have a very big appetite, so it's eating enough calories that's the problem, not too many calories.

Listen to Vido, he knows what he is talking about

truest
02-04-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah he does...thanx guyz, vido-how much would be too many calories then? i get different answers

Vido
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
vido-how much would be too many calories then? i get different answers

It's impossible to give a number because everyone is different. "Too many calories" would be when you're gaining more fat than muscle. Like I said though, it's probably not something you need to concern yourself with.

truest
02-04-2005, 07:47 PM
ight man ill keep yall up to date every week im weighing myself in tomorrow see if i made any gain or what not

Vido
02-04-2005, 07:53 PM
truest and ALL, How would you determine if one has a fast metabolism or not

Were you a skinny kid or a chubby one? That's your first clue right there.

Can you eat whatever you want and not put on fat? That's another one.

If you're using those generic calorie formulas, I'd say you have a fast metabolism if you have to eat anything more than 20 x bodyweight in calories to gain.

I heard its not good to train 7 days a week, your body needs rest days to rebuild muscle tissue, this may be why you are not growing. Am i wrong here guys? Personally I work out 4 days a week, monday, tuesday thursday and friday. Chest Tris-MON, Back Bis-Tues, Legs Shoulders-Thurs, Arms-Friday.

You grow out of the gym, not in it. That being said, diet is going to play a larger role in your gains than anything else. There's other factors at play as well, one of which being the volume of your workouts. Doing a few sets 7 days a week is still less total volume than doing 20 sets 3x/week.

truest
02-04-2005, 07:56 PM
i was chubby because i started taking pillz for a.d.d lol, and when i got off them in like 4 monthz i lost 40 pounds...thatz water weight, so does that mean im basically a sped up metabolism kid? i have nothing else to judge it on

Vido
02-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Ok, I guess I left out stats as a determining factor as well. At 117 lbs, you have a fast metabolism, or just choose not to eat much.

truest
02-04-2005, 08:05 PM
lmao...ight man, ill talk to yall tomorrow hopefully take care