PDA

View Full Version : Questions for anyone who does or used to do Westside

Ja113
02-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey folks...

I'm curious...I used to do a westside type routine (DE, ME squats and bench day)....

Unfortunately, due to time constraints with work and family, I can't get to the gym to do a proper WS routine.

However, I was wondering if you could combine DE and ME exercises into one day...so for example, for squats, do box squats then do max effort front squats.

Does this make those exercise less effective? Or is this not a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

ElPietro
02-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I have done both two day and four day westside type splits before.

If you are limited on time I'd suggest a different approach.

Combine DE and ME exercises, but not the same lift. So for example if you trained two days a week, you'd do ME Squats, and DE Bench one day, and ME Bench with DE Squats. Do the ME stuff first since it's the one that you are trying to focus as much energy into breaking PRs weekly, then do the DE stuff after, and you can also mix in assistance work as time permits.

Hope that helps.

Paul Stagg
02-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Joe!

I have the EFS training templates manual. In it, one can find oodles of information on 3 day a week and 2 day a week routines.

To do 3 days a week, I'd just use the traditional 4 day and spread it out like so (assuming you can do m/w/f)

M - ME squat
W - ME bench
F - DE squat
M- DE bench
W - ME squat
F - ME bench

and so on.

To go down to two days a week, do something like this:

Bench day:
1)ME lift - hit a 1RM
then do the Wendler method
2)triceps
3)triceps
4)shoulders
5)lats

Squat/Deadlift day
1)Box squat 5x2 using whatever wave you like
1a)every other week, work up to a big single
1b)the weeks you don't work up on the box squat, do a deadlift or variation up to a 1-3 rep max
2)Low back/hams
3)Abs

justhrowit
02-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Joe!

I have the EFS training templates manual. In it, one can find oodles of information on 3 day a week and 2 day a week routines.

To do 3 days a week, I'd just use the traditional 4 day and spread it out like so (assuming you can do m/w/f)

M - ME squat
W - ME bench
F - DE squat
M- DE bench
W - ME squat
F - ME bench

and so on.

To go down to two days a week, do something like this:

Bench day:
1)ME lift - hit a 1RM
then do the Wendler method
2)triceps
3)triceps
4)shoulders
5)lats

Squat/Deadlift day
1)Box squat 5x2 using whatever wave you like
1a)every other week, work up to a big single
1b)the weeks you don't work up on the box squat, do a deadlift or variation up to a 1-3 rep max
2)Low back/hams
3)Abs

Hey Paul,

What is the EFS training Template Manual you speak of? Any chance I can get my hands on one if you feel it's useful. Thanks

Jay

Paul Stagg
02-11-2005, 02:40 PM
You can purchase it at elitefts.com

Gavan
02-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Why so much assistance work ? After 2-3 heavy singles close to 1RM on bench you already deeply fatigued your triceps.

I found that a classical assistance work for a westside routine could be :

Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions: 6 sets of 10 reps
Push Downs: 3 sets of 10
One Arm Press: 3 sets of 15

12 sets of 10-15 reps that's an HUGE volume with very light weights... is it really effective ?

In my opinion most of the stimulation comes from the HEAVY SINGLES...

bIgHwN86
02-21-2005, 09:10 PM
try it...

johnnytang24
02-23-2005, 09:45 PM
If you were to only workout 2 days a week, they should probably be full body workouts.

Thanks.

Paul Stagg
02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
If you were to only workout 2 days a week, they should probably be full body workouts.

Thanks.

If you read the original post, you'll see he was talking specifically about WSB training, and how to apply those methods to 2 day a week training rather than the 4 main workouts.