PDA

View Full Version : Lost 50 lbs, now it's time to bulk

Decent
02-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks to determination, the knowledge I gained on this forum, and AtLargeNutrition, I managed to lose 54 lbs in 2004. I'm in the best shape of my life, but still have a long way to go.

Currently: 165 lbs (6'0")
Goal: 190 lbs

I've heard that bulking is more fun than cutting, since you can eat more, but we'll see. My appetite has decreased so much since last year, I don't even think about food the same way. It's purely fuel now.

This weekend I'm going to try to calculate how many calories I need to consume to put on lean muscle mass. I'm not sure what a healthy rate of growth is... I really don't want to gain noticable fat. I'll do some reading on that.

And I'll post my routine by Monday (when I officially start)... hopefully this thread will help keep me focused.

Decent
02-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Okay...

165 lbs x 18 = 2970 calories
I'm still not ripped, just small. If I put on too much more bodyfat while gaining, it won't look good at all. I'll just adjust cardio and keep the calories consistant.

I'll start with 4 meals a day, plus 2 Nitrean shakes... 1 immediately after workout, and 1 before bed.

Shane
02-05-2005, 12:03 PM
:spam: Welcome to journalland. Good luck with your new journal. Love the avatar btw.

PizDoff
02-05-2005, 02:15 PM
That's a pretty big cut! All that in 2004?

Canadian Crippler
02-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Okay...

165 lbs x 18 = 2970 caloriesNot saying this won't work for you, but don't really on this calculation. I'm 169 and my body won't gain weight on anything less than 4500.

Decent
02-05-2005, 03:11 PM
thanks

how long should i stay on a particular diet before increasing calories? 1 week? 2?

andy51
02-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Good luck. Just look at your gains. If you arent gaining 1-1.5lbs per week add some cals

Decent
02-26-2005, 04:41 PM
3 weeks have passed and I'm still trying to perfect my routine.

When I was cutting, I did a lot of cardio and regular lifting, but not as strict a routine. I'm having trouble finding the best days to do certain exercises, without my soreness/recovery interfering with the following day.

---------------------------------------------
Week 1 (Feb. 7th, 2005)

Monday (Chest and Lats)

bench - 2 sets... 6, 6
fly - 2 sets... 8, 6
pulldown - 3 sets... 8, 8, 8

Tuesday (Legs)

deadlifts - 2 sets... 5, 6
lunges - 2 sets... 8, 7
straight leg deadlifts - 2 sets... 12, 12

Wednesday (Rest)

Thursday (Shoulders & Arms)

military press - 2 sets... 10, 10
seated dumbell press - 2 sets...9, 9
lateral raises - 3 sets... 10, 8, 9
hammer curls - 3 sets... 10, 10
overhead tricep extension - didn't get to it

Problems: Where do I start? Okay, I tried to do deadlifts on my chest/back day, but they're too exhausting, so I had to move them to the next day. They still take a lot of out of me, so my leg workout may be suffering. I don't have a squat rack, so I'm forced to do lunges since it uses less weight. But it's difficult to keep my balance, and solid form, while using a weight in the 6-10 range.

Also, having my shoulders and arms on the same day is also exhausting. I really like paying attention to my triceps and forearms, and I can't do that after 7-9 sets of another muscle group.

Possible Solution: Since I have so many rest days, I'm going to try to space out my routine somemore. I'll set aside a day just for shoulders, so I can focus more on my arms. Still not sure what to do about the deadlift/thigh situation.

Week 2 (Feb. 14th, 2005)

Monday (Chest and Lats)

bench - 2 sets... 8, 6
fly - 2 sets... 7, 8
pulldown - 3 sets... 9, 8, 8

Tuesday (Rest)

Wednesday (Abs)

leg raises - 3 sets... 12, 14, 15
crunches - 2 sets... 50, 50

Thursday (Arms)

overhead tricep extension - 3 sets... 8, 9, 7
hammer curls - 3 sets... 6, 7, 6
behind the back wrist curls - 3 sets... 12, 13, 12
seated reverse wrist curls - 3 sets... 6, 5, 8)

Friday (Rest)

Saturday (Back & Legs)

deadlift - 3 sets... 2, 3, 4
lunges - 1 set... 7
straight legged deadlifts - 3 sets... 10, 10, 10

Sunday (Rest)

Problems: I tried to move my shoulder day to Tuesday, but it's hard to work them while my lats are sore from Monday. Raising my arms without weights is bad enough.

I moved deadlifts and legs to Saturday, but I'm having the same problem. My lunge form is awful, my ankles hurt, and using less weight isn't challenging. I can't seem to find middle ground. I like straight legged deadlifts... I wish I had an exercise like that for my thighs.

Possible Solution: I'm going to move shoulders to Wednesday, to give my lats some time to heal... no idea what to do about my thighs still.

Week 3 (Feb. 21st, 2005)

Monday (Chest and Lats)

bench - 3 sets... 10, 8, 7
fly - 2 sets... 8, 8
pulldown - 3 sets... 8, 9, 8

Tuesday (Rest)

Wednesday (Shoulders)

military press - 3 sets... 7, 7, 6
seated dumbell press - 2 sets...7, 6
lateral raises - 3 sets...6, 7, 5

Thursday (Arms)

overhead tricep extension - 3 sets...10, 10, 7
hammer curls - 3 sets...5, 7, 6

Friday (Rest)

Saturday (Back & Legs)

deadlift - 4 sets...5, 4, 5, 3
straight legged deadlifts - 3 sets...10, 10, 10

Sunday/Tomorrow (Rest)

Problems: Moving my shoulders to their own day worked out great. I'm able to give them and my arms proper attention. I had to cut my arm workout short for a family emergency, but it worked out, because today I added more reps to my deadlifts, and my forearms are killing me. If I had worked them out Thursday, I don't think I would have been able to get through it. So now I need to find a new place to move my deadlift workout.

I've completely given up on trying to do lunges. No room for a squat rack, and I can't keep form and balance with lunges. I hate neglecting my thighs, because I know building them will help me grow and improve my deadlift, but I don't know how to train them without a squat rack. It's very frustrating.

Possible Solution: I'm open to suggestions. :( Maybe I could try using a 10-12 range weight for my lunges, and using that for a couple weeks until I can keep my balance with more weight. That's better than nothing, right? :(