PDA

View Full Version : Deads

cronin50
02-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey folks, I am just putting this out there for whatever reason. I am 50 years old, have been lifting for about 23 years. Spent some time in Venice in the late '70's, got to see some massive dudes. Anyway, I never did Deadlifts the whole time I've been working out. Right now I can bench 280, down from 330 when I was a youngster. After joining this forum a month or so ago, I decided to try my hand at deadlifting, thanks to all you guys saying what a great exercise it is. This morning, I warmed up with 135, then went to 255 for 10 reps. I was a little surprised, the weight seemed light. I Rested for 4 minutes, then went for 315. Again the weight went up fairly easy, I got 8 reps. 4 more minutes rest, I went to 405 for 4 reps.At this point I am saying to myself WTF? I ended up doing 475 for a triple. I couldn't believe it! How can this be? I was on cloud nine all day! My next back day I am going for 500 for a single. Can anyone give me an explanation as to why I am able to deadlift so much? I am thinking Synergy, after all these years of lifting I must have developed some pretty god core strength. Let me add that I am 6'1", 215. I can only squat 330 for 1 rep. Once again, I am stoked. WTF? Thanks for any input.

Chrispy
02-06-2005, 02:06 PM
congratulations. you get points for a big deadlift and points for being 50 and using the word stoked.

andy51
02-06-2005, 02:14 PM
wow that quite good, congrats you have some impressive lifts there especially for being 50

cronin50
02-06-2005, 02:26 PM
congratulations. you get points for a big deadlift and points for being 50 and using the word stoked.

I think I picked up the word "stoked" back in my days in Venice Beach, Ca. LOL. After all I was a surfer dude! I don't use the term in the general venacular though.

cronin50
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
wow that quite good, congrats you have some impressive lifts there especially for being 50

Thanks man, I guess that comes from lifting so many years. That is the only explanation I can come up with. Any of you seasoned guys have any explanation for the big deadlift?

phatmike
02-06-2005, 02:45 PM
My experience is that there is a lot of carryover in strength from the squat to the deadlift (though not necessarily the other way around ...then again this is MY experience). In other words, if you squat quite a bit, you will probably be able to pull quite a bit as well. If it makes you feel any better, my ATF squat right now is about 325x2 and my max dead has been 455. So your numbers are similar to mine, well except for age lol.

pytron
02-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Another difference might be your body structure. Long arms = good structure for deadlifting, bad for benching. Short torso = good for deadlifting. I can't remember which way the leg length goes but it would seem that short legs would be better for deadlifting. Either way those are some fantastic numbers at any age.

-TIM-
02-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Those are impressive numbers for a first time deadlifter. Just be careful when trying to pull that much weight. Bad technique + heavy weight could = a doubled over cronin50. Someone who's been lifting for 23 years doesn't need to be told that it's good to get your technique and form down before maxing on a new lift. Especially one that involves the lower back. Just be careful and let us know how 500 goes, when you go for it.

SW
02-07-2005, 06:43 PM
First of all, congrats bud. Just doing that for the first time, and telling us that, has GOT to light fires under plenty of asses lol. Perhaps overall good muscle condition couples with muscle memory even though you've never done them?

domahmegok
02-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Wow I am shocked, that is really impressive. I guess all the years of working out has gave you some incredible lower back strenghth. Keep it up, if you have a camera, I would love to see a video of you pulling 500.

lilmase1153
02-15-2005, 02:22 AM
all i can think of is daaaammmmnnnn nice pull and in a ronny coleman voice "light weight baby"