PDA

View Full Version : protein shake recipe without protein powder

teen_bb
02-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Alright......my parents used to be against anything like whey protein, or creatine, or anything like that at all. If it wasn't from natural food, then I couldn't have it. Well anyway, they finally gave in, and they realize that I know more about nutrition and stuff like this than they do, so I can buy and take what I want. I'm smart about it though. Anyway......before I could use the powders and stuff, I looked for hours and hours for a decent recipe for something that could be eaten relatively fast but with a high amount of protein. No one online could give me anything. So I went to a yardsale and got a book by Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was a really old one. He made it when he was still only a 6 time mr. olympia. Anyway.......I read the diet section a bunch of times (along with the rest of the book) and he gave a recipe for a protein shake. It doesn't take any powders or anything like that, so that's a plus for people who either can't take those things, or don't have the money to, or whatever. It doesn't taste that bad either. here it is...

2 glasses of milk (any kind of milk, and a decent sized glass)
1/2 cup of non-fat powder milk
1/2 cup of ice cream
1 egg (I use jumbo size)

Throw all that in a blender and blend it up and enjoy

The amount of milk you use can make a difference. So my protein intake and yours may differ a little. Also depending on the ice cream, and the brand of powder milk. For me, I got about 50 grams of protein going in mine. Even though I can take the whey protein and stuff now, it's still good to go oldschool, and be natural. They don't taste bad at all, and they have quite a bit of protein for being natural and easy to consume in 5 mins or less. Just thought i'd share that. I found that it works great, and hopefully you'll feel the same.

waynis
02-07-2005, 08:29 PM
sounds a little more like a weight gainer shake.

andy51
02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
yup, not for post workout with all that milk

Optimum08
02-07-2005, 08:39 PM
if you are looking for a good quality protein supplement and can order over the internet....At large's Nitrean, advertised around the site, as well as Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey are both good quality proteins....

Big Daddy Cruel
02-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Skim Milk blended with dry milk is a great weight gainer: I used to blend 3 cups of skim with 1 cup of dry, chocolate syrup and 4 tsps PB. About 1000 cals, 70 g protein, and good as hell, though ice cream would probably make it even better.

Of course, that was when I was bulking to 265 and eating 6000 cals a day. I don't think 6000 cals a day would be good on a bulk now, particularly since my metabolism has slowed with age. (just a little at 27)

waynis
02-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I could never drink that much milk at a time. The lactose would leave my mouth all sticky and I would get really congested.

abwowang
02-07-2005, 11:57 PM
man i would have the runs like crazy after that!!!!

manowar669
02-08-2005, 09:51 PM
1 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp Natty PB
1 cup skim milk
Half package sugar-free, fat-free vanilla pudding mix
Blend with 1 cup cold water + 12 ice cubes. Eat with spoon like vanilla ice-cream.
Best before bed. (also can add 2 tbsp wheat bran for fiber, don't even notice it in there.)