PDA

View Full Version : Dos and Don'ts of HIIT???

Beavereater
02-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I've read through post after post after post. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my hands around it. So please tell me if I have some of these facts right...

1. Start off on a schdules that will gradually raise the amount of time spent over a 4 to 5 week period. (Week 1: 4minutes at 30 second intervals. Week 2 raise it to 5 minutes...etc)

2. Don't do it on an empty stomach. (Does this mean that if I want to do it in the morning I should eat breakfast, wait an hour then do HIIT??)

3. Do it for up to a 5 week period then rest.

4. If doing it on a eclptic bicycle then resistance is the same as speed meaning that I can just manually add more resistance rather than just speed up using the same resistance. (Not sure if that makes sense)

dissipate
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
1. 4 minutes sounds pretty short to me actually but if you're brand new to HIIT then i guess it might be necessary. if you can go on longer, do. you should be breathing deeply while doing it. if you're gasping for air and unable to carry a conversation or feel nauseous, stop.

2. controversial topic... personally when i do cardio in the morning, i have a cup of tea for caffeine and some cottage cheese or chicken breast for protein, but that is all.

3. i've been doing HIIT for a few months.

4. for the sprint intervals, you should be "sprinting". when i'm sprinting at a level and feel that i've got used to that speed at that level of resistance and it's not tough enough, i raise the resistance.

Vido
02-07-2005, 10:34 PM
1. Yes, but 4 minutes is awfully short, even for a beginner.

2. I really don't think this matters, others will say it does.

3. There's no reason to discontinue HIIT ever. Sure you can if you want, but it's not like there's any recommendation for it or against.

4. You should be working as hard as possible during the sprint intervals. Whatever results in this is what you should do...chances are that even if you increase resistance you will still end up going faster as well.