PDA

View Full Version : New to the cutting phase... help me out

cosmicdebree88
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm new to this site... so don't bash me if this has been asked before. basically I just finished my first bulking phase (getting a little too chubby ><). In the past I have just lifted, no bulking or cutting. So now my question is... how do I maintain my gains in size while getting lean? I know I will maintain my strength.. but i'd really like to hold onto as much of the gains in size I made as possible. I know going slow is best for this but I'm looking to lose this fat (~15lbs) by the end of march. Can this be accomplished? and if so how would I go about doing this? Incase it helps I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs. I do not know my bf%. However, I do know that before bulking I was looking pretty good (fat wise) and at that point I weighed around 165lbs. I figure if I go back down to around that weight I will look even leaner than before being that I have made muscular gains while bulking. Can't think of anything else to add.. but if more info is needed I will periodically check this forum to add info as necessary.

-Thanks in advance

Holto
02-08-2005, 01:03 PM
if you lose it at a rate of 1lb/week you shouldn't lose any muscle provided you are eating enough protein

cosmicdebree88
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
How many calories should I shoot to eat in a day in order to lose 1lb/week? And would I definitly lose muscle if I tried to lose let's say 2lbs/week?

Edit: I was also thinking of taking the dextrose (sp?), maltodextirn (sp?), and L-Glutamine combo post workout. Would this help me to sustain more muscle with slightly less calories?

AdmiralDan
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
search the site about post workout shakes to find out about your last question. about your cutting, find what your maintainence calories are and eat 500 less than that. with a good routine and some cardio, you should lose at a good rate. as far as losing 2 lbs a week, the faster you lose the more muscle you lose. if you have amazing genetics, you may keep all of your muscle.

also, it may be better to aim for a look rather than a certain weight, especially if you have put on muscle. if you had a decent bf% before at 165, it may be a little low to go back to

cosmicdebree88
02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks :) that definitly helps. One question though.. for maintainence calories, Is that your weight X 12? or was that something else?

FireBug
02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalsm.html

It seem to be fairly accurate..... unfortanitly I dont know of a more accurate way.