PDA

View Full Version : woah woah woah... Brown and white rice have the same GI now?

wrestlemaniac
02-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I was trying to find out about the uncle bens I bought and came across this. http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=982208&Main=981965

After doing a little more research it seems Brown rice is not actually a slow burning carb... What the heck is going on here? Yesterday I would've sworn by this 1 simple fact that brown rice is low GI and white rice is high GI and now it seems the only difference is like 3 points on the GI scale. Who is wrong here cuz someone has been significantly misinforming me lately about rice....

Ritzol
02-08-2005, 03:41 PM
From my understanding, brown rice is more nutrient dense than white rice; it contains more vitamins and minerals.

As far as absorption, complex carbohydrates often are actually absorbed at a faster rate than simple sugars. Which means they would have the same type of effect on blood sugar as simple carbs. So maybe it takes longer to digest the complex carbs? That would be my guess, but who knows.

wrestlemaniac
02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
this news makes me very angry....

Collegekid
02-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Brown rice has a lower GI. Period.

Ritzol
02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
"Brown rice has a higher nutritional value when compared to the milled and polished rice (white rice). While the GI of the white and brown rice were similar the insulin response for brown rice was significantly lower than for white rice."

http://www.optimalhealthsystems.com/showeduc.asp?id=7

Holto
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
GI is not the be all and end all

I think we will all agree carrots are a slow burning carb but have a relatively high GI

if you want to be obsessive (which can be a good thing) calculate the Glycemic Load

waynis
02-08-2005, 06:27 PM
understanding the gi is confusing. I think complex carbs will create a insulin response quicker but not the kind of spike the simple carbs would.

wrestlemaniac
02-08-2005, 06:47 PM
man, I'm so confused.

I thought I had this nutrition thing down for the last little while too

Shao-LiN
02-08-2005, 08:07 PM
The GI of white and brown rice have always been the same, or at least similar. The biggest difference between the two is that brown rice has more "nutrients" vs. white rice. Also, brown rice has more fiber than white rice does, which serves to mimic a lower GI.

I wouldn't be so anal about it, take your brown rice and be happy =).

Optimum08
02-08-2005, 08:15 PM
hmm it might be because im on a bulk...but i don't pay any attention to GI...and there are many more benefits to stickin with brown rice rather than white rice even if GI isn't one of them....so i would say stick with the brown...

Vido
02-08-2005, 08:15 PM
The GI of white and brown rice have always been the same, or at least similar. The biggest difference between the two is that brown rice has more "nutrients" vs. white rice. Also, brown rice has more fiber than white rice does, which serves to mimic a lower GI.

I wouldn't be so anal about it, take your brown rice and be happy =).

:withstupi

PizDoff
02-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Interesting. Thought the GI difference was much larger myself, but good news.
BTW, brown rice for life!!!