PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade and Whey Protein

krazcanuk
02-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Recently I have been slamming a Gatorade mixed with 2 scopps of whey post workout. I changed because someone told me that Gatorade spkies insulin levels, which aides in muscle building.
Previously I had used milk.
Is Gatorade a better mixer for post-workout drink?

andy51
02-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I guess gatorade would be better, but depending on what flavor you protein is (hopefully unflavored) that is some kinda nasty. If you want an insulin spike you could get some dex/malto or drink the gatorade seperate from you protein in water

waynis
02-08-2005, 05:01 PM
gatorade will provide a insulin rush but not the best or healthiest one you need. Mix your protein with some dextrose or fruit juice instead.

krazcanuk
02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
gatorade will provide a insulin rush but not the best or healthiest one you need. Mix your protein with some dextrose or fruit juice instead.

Dextrose - ummm, how do I get this - what is it in the grocery store?

krazcanuk
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
I guess gatorade would be better, but depending on what flavor you protein is (hopefully unflavored) that is some kinda nasty. If you want an insulin spike you could get some dex/malto or drink the gatorade seperate from you protein in water
I just get the variety pack - it's actually kinda good, although the Fruit Punch flavor when mixed with the whey comes out kinda looking like Pepto!

waynis
02-08-2005, 05:19 PM

It is derived from corn and occurs naturally in some foods. They sell dextrose powder and some people on here supplement it after workout.

check out the link

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=510

Isaac Wilkins
02-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Gatorade and dextrose are pretty much identical.

Gatorade uses glucose, which is the sugar that the body uses, and dextrose is basically glucose derived from corn.

Both spike insulin at the same speed, which is why they're used. Gatorade is more expensive because you're paying for the marketing and patents.

Stacked next to each other, Gatorade has more beneficial things in it (electrolytes, B-vitamins, etc), where as dextrose is just sugar. The cost doesn't really justify the piddling amounts that Gatorade has of the other stuff, however.

Stupendous
02-08-2005, 05:45 PM

http://www.trueprotein.com/store/index.asp

http://www.kentnutrition.com

Optimum08
02-08-2005, 05:45 PM
if using a powder form...go for the powerade powder as it contains maltodextrin as one of its main ingredients....but dextrose/malto is ideal because then u can just add it to your protein shake with basically no added flavors...

getfit
02-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I ALWAYS USE gatorade powder mix it up with water and presto gym fuel!

Isaac Wilkins
02-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Interesting link for those who are chem freaks.

:angel:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/carbohydrates.htm

Vido
02-08-2005, 06:52 PM
I guess gatorade would be better, but depending on what flavor you protein is (hopefully unflavored) that is some kinda nasty.

I haven't tried any other combos, but orange Gatorade + chocolate whey is delicious :drooling:.

andy51
02-08-2005, 06:54 PM
wow seriously Vido?

getfit
02-08-2005, 06:55 PM
i've mixed orange gatorade with vanilla whey and oh yum!

Vido
02-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Just think of one of those chocolate orange things that you smash and eat...if that's good, why wouldn't this be? ;)

Honestly though, I haven't found much that doesn't taste good with chocolate whey.

Isaac Wilkins
02-08-2005, 07:03 PM
i've mixed orange gatorade with vanilla whey and oh yum!

I <3 orange cream flavored protein (well, and other orange cream flavored things, too). I can only imagine that this is excellent.

manowar669
02-09-2005, 09:11 AM
kraxcanuk,
You're fine. Whey+Gatorade post workout is fine.

Orange Gatorade (powder) and Vanilla whey is yummy, been using that PWO for over 2 years now. Not too expensive at Walmart in the big tub.

Guido
02-09-2005, 09:21 AM
The best stuff I've had is by mixing the Strawberry whey protein with some Apple-Kiwi-Strawberry juice. Tastes just like strawberries and whipped cream :D