PDA

View Full Version : new to forums and a newbie question

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm in college atm and i'm 6 foot tall and i'm 135lbs.... I want to know some things I could mix in with my lunch and dinner that would make me gain some weight.... I heard peanut butter but I dunno.

getfit
02-09-2005, 04:03 AM
welcome to WBB! 6 AND 135lbs oh boy! just eat like never before!:)

post up your diet so we can see!

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 04:13 AM
well right now since i have some early classes i never get around to eating breakfast so thats gonna hurt me i know..... Right now i'm usually eating the same thing everyday because of the college's cafeteria..... chicken patty and frenchfrys w/ cheese for lunch and a coke and usually something different but just about as filling in the afternoon. Yesterday I got 3 chicken strips and a beef burrito..... Heh should i start frequenting mcdonalds dollar menu :p.

[edit] 2 weeks ago i started running agian to try and gain some muscle mass but i stoped because i realized i didn't have the body fat to turn into muscle.

getfit
02-09-2005, 04:19 AM
what are your goals?

i think you should clean up your diet a little

you want mass you better hit some iron

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 04:30 AM
i'm not looking to down the roads be a badass cut guy just get up to like 160lbs or so and get some muscle mass.... but i think i'd be better off getting the weight first and then working on muscle mass or am I wrong?

getfit
02-09-2005, 04:32 AM
eating and lifting will give you mass that combo!

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 04:36 AM
ok so i'll start going to the gym agian and eating more.... it'll at least give me something to do :p

anyways whats some stuff I could eat that would give me more weight?

Stackattack
02-09-2005, 04:55 AM
2 weeks ago i started running agian to try and gain some muscle mass but i stoped because i realized i didn't have the body fat to turn into muscle.

i think i'd be better off getting the weight first and then working on muscle mass or am I wrong?

You are indeed wrong. It doesn't work that way. Fat doesn't miraculously turn into muscle.
At 6' and 135 it is probably safe to assume that you are fairly lean, which in my opinion is the best place to start.
Running will not build muscle. The best thing for you to do now is go on a solid bulking diet and start lifting. WBB routine 1 is a good place to start. check out the sticky 'what a body builder eats' in the diet forum for ideas on what you should be eating. Now get cracking and good luck.

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 05:11 AM
heh thanks.

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Day 1: Off or Cardio or Shoulders (optional)
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Push (Chest and Triceps)
Day 4: Off or Cardio
Day 5: Off or Cardio
Day 6: Pull (Back and Biceps)
Day 7: Off or Cardio

i'm really new to this whole workout thing. Most i've ever done is running for exercise...... it says i have to do all this well I am making this my new hobbie heh cause i'm tired of being small. Cardio? and it lists all these other tihngs i should work on but I'm confused and then it goes on to say that I need to *(Abs can be worked on any day of the week, no more than twice a week, and at least 48 hours in between. Anywhere from 4-8 sets would be ideal.)

sets? how much is in a set and all this other stuff I need to start up, how much of each do u think i would need to do and after a while increase?

remember i'm 6 foot 135 lbs :p be easy on me :help: :help: :help:

on a side note, does drinking hinder progress? I'm talking about alcohol cause lets be real, i'm in college :(.

Stackattack
02-09-2005, 06:15 AM
If i were you i would forget about the cardio for now, as it is counter productive to gaining weight.
A set is simply a grouping of repititions of a particular exercise. For example WBB1 recomends you perform 2 sets of 6-8 repititions for most exercises.
I'm pretty sure most of you questions can be answered
here> http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25
If you can't find the answers to your queries there then use the search function.
Remember,(like any other routine your likely to come across) while being a great place to start, the WBB routines are not the be all and end all. As your knowledge grows you will find your self modifying the routine to better suit your goals. As for alcohol, like every thing, its okay in moderation. But it can, and quite possibly will hinder your gains. If your anything like me you'll find that hangovers don't lead to productive workouts so try to stear clear of alcohol for the most part. Having said that many people drink quite often and still make fine progress.

AdmiralDan
02-09-2005, 06:28 AM
first off, i agree that you should clean up your diet. second, you say that you are new to lifting so i would suggest wbb1. it is a complete workout(except for abs) and it great expecially for beginners. as far as abs, do anything weighted(weighted sit ups, weighted knee raises, etc.). yes, drinking will hinder your progress somewhat. i'm in college too and i simply decided to give up drinking when i got serious about lifting

i guess someone beat me to it. i'm just a slow typer

Destonomos
02-09-2005, 06:44 AM
I think that looks like a more complete way of going about it so thats probably what i'll be trying.... one question. I was able to look up all the exercises on the internet, on how to do them properly but a dip.... what is a dip and how is it preformed?

AdmiralDan
02-09-2005, 06:46 AM
go here and look

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Guido
02-09-2005, 09:16 AM
More specifically, look here:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/AsChestDip.html

Like others said, eat a LOT, cut donw on some cardio, and lift heavy. And yes, WBB 1 is a really good place to start. :thumbup:

Destonomos
02-11-2005, 03:30 AM
i did the arm and back workout yesterday and its the day after and my arms are killing me.... are they supposed to hurt after the work out? It could be that its my first time but oh well..... oh and i'm getting more meals in now i got 3 full meals in both today and yesterday and a snack of raveollios :P

crazedwombat
02-11-2005, 11:41 AM
good start, soreness is ok, eventually the muscles will get used to being broken down and tend to be less sore and repair quicker but, however soreness is fine, I'm not happy unless I'm sore after a workout, however though, soreness is not required, so If you work out hard and dont get sore the next day, it doesnt mean you did no good. just keep at it and start a journal here to help you along.