PDA

View Full Version : Student need critique of his bulking diet

Not Not Brian
02-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Hello all, I'm a bit new to the forums and last sunday is when I got serious about bulking. I'm 180 lbs, 6' tall, 22 years old, and in college(if that matters). I've been doing the WBB #1 routine since the beginning of January. I've just started counting calories recently and from what I've found on these boards, my goal is 4000 cals a day. My ideal weight is 200 lbs. Here's what I eat in a day:

Breakfast:
3 eggs
2 flour tortillas
1 low fat hot turkey sausage link
1 cup of milk
1 cup of oj

2nd meal(before class):
1 cup of milk
1 cup of granola

Meals in between class:

Tuna sandwhich:
2 slices wheat bread
1 can of white tuna

PB&J sandwhich:
2 slices wheat bread
4 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp homemade jam

Peanut butter clif bar (240 cal 12g protein)

Then when I get home from class, anywhere between 4-7, I make dinner based on how many calories I need to reach my 4000. It usually consists of:

Skinless chicken breast 4 oz
either 1 cup raw jasmine rice or some type of pasta or can of chili
2 cups of milk

BTW, I do not drink any soda or eat any fast food, I've been off fast food for over a year and a half and I drink roughly 72 oz of water a day, need more?
Please critique

Stupendous
02-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Why do you finish your caloric intake off during dinner time? You should split it up, going for something every 2-3 hours. And you should have something before you go to bed.

Where does your workout fit in all this. What is your post-workout meal.

Double D
02-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Hello all, I'm a bit new to the forums and last sunday is when I got serious about bulking. I'm 180 lbs, 6' tall, 22 years old, and in college(if that matters). I've been doing the WBB #1 routine since the beginning of January. I've just started counting calories recently and from what I've found on these boards, my goal is 4000 cals a day. My ideal weight is 200 lbs. Here's what I eat in a day:

Breakfast:
3 eggs
2 flour tortillas
1 low fat hot turkey sausage link
1 cup of milk
1 cup of oj

2nd meal(before class):
1 cup of milk
1 cup of granola

Meals in between class:

Tuna sandwhich:
2 slices wheat bread
1 can of white tuna

PB&J sandwhich:
2 slices wheat bread
4 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp homemade jam

Then when I get home from class, anywhere between 4-7, I make dinner based on how many calories I need to reach my 4000. It usually consists of:

Skinless chicken breast 4 oz
2 cups of milk

BTW, I do not drink any soda or eat any fast food, I've been off fast food for over a year and a half and I drink roughly 72 oz of water a day, need more?
Please critique

Im pretty skeptical about that bein 4, 000 cals based on what you have listed. I eat about 4, 000 cals and it looks more like this.

meal 1: 6 eggs/1 cup oatmeal(raw), banana, apple
meal 2: protein shake/bagel
meal 3: 3/4 cup rice(uncooked)/1 can tuna/1/4 cup almonds
meal 4: protein shake/bagel
meal 5: pw shake-weight gainer/whey
meal 6: 200g chicken brst/1/4 cup rice(uncooked), veggies
meal 7:1 cup cottage cheese/1/4 cup almonds

Vido
02-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Doesn't look like 4000 cals to me either. With very generous estimates I came out to about just over 3K cals for those foods listed.

Dirt
02-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm not going to actually calculate it out myself, but just by eyeballing it doesn't look like that diet is 4000 calories.

250ml of 2% milk = 130 cals
1 tin tuna = 120 cals
1 slice WW bread = 100 cals
1 egg = 80 cals
1 cup granola = 300-350 cals
1 tbsp PB = 110 cals

Just doing a quick look over your list I don't really see much more than 2200-2500 cals in your first set of meals. Your dinner would have to be huge to get you up to 4000 cals after that day.

*Looks like there's consensus on this one.

Vido
02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Why do you finish your caloric intake off during dinner time? You should split it up, going for something every 2-3 hours. And you should have something before you go to bed.

:withstupi I missed this originally. This might actually solve your problem. Throwing in an extra meal or two would get that calorie count up closer to where you want it.

andy51
02-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Good idea Vido, and I would recommend more water. Otherwise your diet looks pretty good.

Not Not Brian
02-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Splitting up my last meal sounds like a good idea, thanks for the advice. I suppose I should of attached a calorie amount for each food item, one thing I can do well is count:

Breakfast:
3 eggs (70 ea)
2 flour tortillas (145 ea)
1 low fat hot turkey sausage link (160)
1 cup of milk 2% (140)
1 cup of oj (110)

ttl breakfast: 910

2nd meal(before class):
1 cup of milk (140)
1 cup of granola (500 <--says it on the box 250 per 1/2 cup)
ttl: 640
Meals in between class:

Tuna sandwhich:
2 slices wheat bread (110 ea)
1 can of white tuna (150 bumblebee chunk white)
(perhaps I should have specified 2 tablespoons of mayo and 1 tbls sweet relish: 130)
ttl: 500
PB&J sandwhich:
2 slices wheat bread (110 ea)
4 tbsp peanut butter (190 per 2 tbsp)
1 tbsp homemade jam (~56 per tbsp)
ttl: 656

Skinless chicken breast 4 oz (don't have the amt on me, somewhere between 120-140)
2 cups of milk (140 ea)
ttl: 260 + carbs i decide to have, ex: last night i had a can of chili: 560 cals and fries: 190 cals) so last nights dinner= 1010 cals min

grand total: 3956, ok so i'm a little off, but i do use olive oil everytime i cook, i'd rather not measure it since on the avg I use the same amount a day so the amount remains constant as does my calorie intake)

So, I should have been more precise in my previous post, but as you can see it is approx 4000 calories a day. I'm going to rephrase my question since I know I'm sure I have the right amount of calorie intake: Are the foods i'm consuming sufficient for bulking to 200 lbs? Thanks again!

Dirt
02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
grand total: 3956, ok so i'm a little off, but i do use olive oil everytime i cook, i'd rather not measure it since on the avg I use the same amount a day so the amount remains constant as does my calorie intake)

So, I should have been more precise in my previous post, but as you can see it is approx 4000 calories a day. I'm going to rephrase my question since I know I'm sure I have the right amount of calorie intake: Are the foods i'm consuming sufficient for bulking to 200 lbs? Thanks again!

The diet itself is fine, but as far as it being enough only you can know that. If you find out in a few weeks that you're gaining off of it, stick with it. If you do not gain, I would definitely split your last meal. In fact I'd probably do that now (as others have suggested) because you're close to being under 4000 cals as is. The fact your last meal needs to be 1000 + cals to break 4000 every day would make me skeptical of whether or not you'd consistantly be able to hit your total.

Not Not Brian
02-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Definitely sounds like a good idea Dirt.
Counting calories is a real pain in the ass but I'm goina do my best to stick with it. Thanks for the input.

Double D
02-09-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree with Dirt.
Its tough to eat 1000 cals or more in a single meal, not to mention its not good to eat 1 meal thats that much larger than your others, unless its after a workout as it will end up being stored as fat. Better off splitting it on two. So maybe dinner would look like this.

Dinner: chicken, rice, veggies, total 600 - 700
Before Bed: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/4 cup almonds total 400

Eating a meal like this will be slow to digest and stay with you while you sleep so you will continue to build muscle overnight, but not so big that you will get fat by eating so close to bed.

Double D
02-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Since you're counting make sure to get at least 1g per pound in protein. So if you weigh 200 ibs you need 200g protein. if you weigh 150 you need 150g. Thats probably one of the most important things. And read some of the threads on pre-post workout nutrition, also very important. You didnt list anything for them so i thought id make a suggestion.

Not Not Brian
02-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Good idea, i'll have to look into that. I think I need to invest in some kind of meal/protein supplement for pre/post workout(?) Any ideas? As far at 1lb of protein per pound I just started counting that today and I'm actually over at 193, from what I've read too much isn't a bad thing is it?

Vido
02-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm actually over at 193, from what I've read too much isn't a bad thing is it?

Correct

TheBigNasty
02-10-2005, 05:15 AM
Good luck on the bulk -

4000 calories should be plenty for you to put on mass if you are 175 now, you may have to increase the cals when you've started to put weight on.

Id DEFINATELY split your last meal like a lot of these guys have been saying, make sure you get some protein and carbs down you ever 2.5 - 3 hours, and someones already said this, but you should get some protein just before bedtime.

Other than that its looking good, good luck.

Vido
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Id DEFINATELY split your last meal like a lot of these guys have been saying, make sure you get some protein and carbs down you ever 2.5 - 3 hours, and someones already said this, but you should get some protein just before bedtime.

First, the "rule" is protein every 2-3 hours, no one ever said anything about carbs.

Second, of the two suggestions in your post, the 2-3 hour "rule" isn't anywhere near as important as having something to eat before bed. You're not going to wilt away if you go 4-5 hours between meals, but it's not really a good idea to have nothing in your stomach before you go to sleep (and fast for another 6-12 hours).

Not Not Brian
02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advice, todays the first day I did legs since I started bulking and it was probably the best leg day I've had, saturday i'll know my results for the past week, so far it's been approx 2lbs.

briancurran01
02-13-2005, 07:44 PM
usw www.fitday.com to count the calories it is much easier. good luck