PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on groceries?

Jensen
02-10-2005, 03:22 AM
I'm a college student and I have a fairly tight budget. I would like to keep my food costs under $200-$225 a month and I'm wondering if it can be done?

I'm 6'1" and about 175lbs. I just started lifting sersiously about a month ago and I'm very happy with the short term results. Now I want to step it up.

I'm wondering if you guys could post your grocery lists. Maybe you could even break it down into what you eat daily and how much it costs. I'm not picky and I'll eat the same thing every day if it will fit my budget and benefit my training.

Thanks everyone. :help:

TheBigNasty
02-10-2005, 05:05 AM
I spend about 40 - 50 a week on food (sorry thats in UK pounds, not sure what that works out as in US Dollars)

I buy roughly...

2 bags of 1kilo Chicken Breasts - thats about 8 breasts per bag at 7 per bag
A Bag of Ribeye Steaks for about 8 for the bag
Then the rest is potatoes, sweet potatos, tins of tuna, mineral water, onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers, chillis, two or three loafs of multigrain bread.

AdmiralDan
02-10-2005, 05:48 AM
if you learn how to shop the sales, it can be done

scrutdada
02-10-2005, 08:55 AM
i spend 60 bucks a week, cause thats how much my parents give me for a gift card. you can buy quite a bit with it. i usually get, 2 gallons of milk, 8 cans of tuna, nuts, chicken breasts, peanut butter, zone bars, and i have just discovered these louis rich pre cooked chicken strips, they are about 3.50 a piece, but have two servings of chicken and each package is about 44 grams of protein and only 220 calories. most grocery stores have an in store savings card like a "kroger plus" or "giant eagle advantage" and you can always clip coupons from the sunday paper.

getfit
02-10-2005, 09:48 AM
too much!

Relentless
02-10-2005, 10:14 AM
eating cheap while getting big:

1) cottage cheese
2) flank steak
3) peanut butter
4) skin-on bone-in chicken breasts (as opposed to boneless/skinless) that you skin and debone yourself (much cheaper when bought this way)
5) chunk light tuna in water

if you consume all of the above in decent quantity over a week, you'll be full, in a caloric surplus, eating clean, and eating cheaply

beyond the basics, do your best to clip coupons, shop at Costco/warehouse stores whenever possible and generally avoid prepared/packaged foods in favour of raw/plain foods and your grocery bill will be kept in check

the biggest thing will probably be produce; don't be afraid to eat frozen veggies in the winter because fresh will be more expensive... load up on the fresh veggies in the summer/fall when available. Also, going to a farmer's market as opposed to a grocery store will often help you find cheaper alternatives for some items

Vido
02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
the biggest thing will probably be produce; don't be afraid to eat frozen veggies in the winter because fresh will be more expensive... load up on the fresh veggies in the summer/fall when available. Also, going to a farmer's market as opposed to a grocery store will often help you find cheaper alternatives for some items

Bah, just don't bother with veggies at all...that will save you even more money :).

waynis
02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
too much!

yep. Eating clean ain't cheap.

Jensen
02-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I like this place.

Double D
02-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Oatmeal and rice. Great sources of carbs, plus they are way cheaper than cereal or even bread and some other things you could be buying. you can buy them in a BIG bag or in bulk and save even more money.

pbsteve09
02-10-2005, 12:10 PM
on my college meal plan im using 80 a week, and im thinking about upping it to 100

Rik-s
02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
too much!
:withstupi

APE.
02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Monthly; about $100-$135 for all groceries. And if you live around a decent butcher; it cuts the cost on meat (protein) considerably as apposed to shopping chain markets. And you can't beat the taste of a fresh cut of meat.
& dry goods; beans can be bought for about $1.70 a 2lb bag or cheaper if you buy in larger bulk.
Also I don't know what state your from; but whats the local agriculture?..if it's potatos or sweet potatos they can be bought directly from the farmer for sometimes $5-$7 for 40 lbs boxes; only trick is you have to buy the lower grade potato; they aren't as pretty as what you'll buy in a marker or fruit stand; but the simple fact that a farmer can not sell these for marketers to put on store shelves allows you to buy them @ low low cost. They have all the same nutritional value per oz as the "prettier" ones.
Hope this helps some.

Vido
02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Monthly; about $100-$135 for all groceries.

Wow, how many calories are you consuming/day? I'd say on a solid bulk I'm around that figure WEEKLY.

Shark
02-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Costoc is the way to go.

I buy eggs by the 5 Dozen, chicken breasts 8 lbs., whole weat bread - 2 loafs, english muffins 4 packages, cottage cheese - huge tub, butter, olive oil, pasta. All in massive quantities.

Dirt
02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
eating cheap while getting big:
4) skin-on bone-in chicken breasts (as opposed to boneless/skinless) that you skin and debone yourself (much cheaper when bought this way)

I agree with most of what you said, but the one thing I disagree with entirely is the skinless/boneless vs. skin/bone argument. You're not really saving yourself nearly as much money as you think or not enough to make it worthwhile imo. It appears you're paying a lot less simply because of the weight of the bone/skin/etc. that isn't trimmed off. It's not like you end up eating any of that. So really you're just paying a bit more so you don't have to deal with the hassle of removing bones and skin yourself. It's pretty much the same with ground beef with regular, lean, etc. You end up paying less, but getting a lot more fat (which you drain off anyway) with regular than say lean.

TheGimp
02-10-2005, 03:16 PM
When bulking, including supplements, 10 (~$18) a day

abwowang
02-10-2005, 03:55 PM
wow 200 a month?
groceries i spend about 50 bucks a month.. i eat the same stuff everyday!
im a college student as well, just makin it by workin my way through

Vido
02-10-2005, 04:38 PM
wow 200 a month?

50 a MONTH? :omg:

I spend about 50/WEEK on cottage cheese alone, haha.

Dirt
02-10-2005, 05:50 PM
wow 200 a month?

How in the world are you managing to BB on 50$ a month. If I never ate out and ate the same thing every day, I still wouldn't be able to take in enough calories on 50$ a month to grow. I would estimate my food bill would be close to 250$ a month on food, sometimes much more depending on if I feel like cooking a lot.

abwowang
02-10-2005, 06:04 PM
u said groceries..!
if i included eatting out.. which includes pretty much friday night thats it.. so thats 4 times a month.. so 150 bucks total on food related

tuna.. carrot, spinach...i go to QFC, safeway.. only lookin for the good deals.. im a good shopper..

Vido
02-10-2005, 06:35 PM
tuna.. carrot, spinach...i go to QFC, safeway.. only lookin for the good deals.. im a good shopper..

I know those are only examples of the foods you're eating, but honestly, how are you getting enough calories on a food bill that small? The foods you mentioned are extremely low cal.

smalls
02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I dont even wanna know. But people who say eating clean isnt cheap are missing the boat to a certain extent. Brown rice is one of the cheapest items on the face of the planet. Oatmeal isnt much worse, and you can get tuna and milk on sale for pretty cheap. I heard that veggies are pretty expensive, but I rarely buy fruit and havent bought veggies since I can remember. Milk is probably my biggest single expense when bulking, around 25-30$ a week, depending on sales etc.

Vido
02-10-2005, 07:03 PM
But people who say eating clean isnt cheap are missing the boat to a certain extent.

Not to a "certain extent"...they're COMPLETELY missing the boat. Clean food is infinitely cheaper than other stuff...I even had someone try to argue with me that eating out for all of your meals is cheaper than eating clean :rolleyes:.

abwowang
02-10-2005, 07:27 PM
i havent really had chicken breast at home.. if i do have it its either at my moms house or somethin.. i usually stick to the sandwich meats like turkey and roast beef.. i eat a lot of sandwiches.. canned beans.. pasta.. brown rice.. spaghetti.. i get fruits on occassion when it is dirt cheap.. frozen vegetables.. eggs for a great price.. like 18 for a dollar..
on a bulk diet.. its much harder to save.. but when u just tryin to maintain and eat healthy.. its not that hard to.. i use what i have..
good luck. But let it be known, that it is doable, and it can be done in a healthy way

smalls
02-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Not to a "certain extent"...they're COMPLETELY missing the boat. Clean food is infinitely cheaper than other stuff...I even had someone try to argue with me that eating out for all of your meals is cheaper than eating clean :rolleyes:.

I'm trying to be nice damnit. I've heard the same thing, people are dumb.

APE.
02-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Wow, how many calories are you consuming/day? I'd say on a solid bulk I'm around that figure WEEKLY.

Roughly 3,000-3,500 cals a day.

I never eat rice (even though; everything in Louisisana is served w/ rice) or pasta. Just a personal option b/c my Diabetes. And beans are cheap as I stated before; an oatmel is like 90cents to $1.50 for a 35+ serving container.Tuna is about 25-33 cents a can. What I mentioned beforehand is about all I buy in "chain stores"

Potato's or dirt cheap as I said. And lil old ladies that raise chickens; eggs can be bought for barely a $1 a an eighten count carton. It's the lil' old ladies pastime; so they get rid of their abundance. Also; around here; in Central Louisiana; not only w/ the potato's but most all vegetables can be bought cheaper from "truck patch" farmers for cheaper than you can @ a chain store are fruit stand; and thats only b/c their grades (consumer attractiveness) is lower than what stores want. Nutritionaly their the same oz per oz.

Also; I should have mentioned; we have like 3 butchers in a 10 mile vacinity; so prices are competitve but none-the-less always cheaper than chain stores.