PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Smell and Cardio

muscle chic
02-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I've smelled this before so I decided to check out what it meant. After 30 min of cardio I smelled ammonia so I stopped thinking " I could be burning muscle". I guess the key is getting in enough carbs before my workout. Checkout the information on Ammonia http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326

pbsteve09
02-10-2005, 09:24 AM
:confused: thats crazy, ive never smelled ammonia while doing cardio. Are you sure its not the cleaning fluid thats used to clean off the equipment?????

muscle chic
02-10-2005, 10:19 AM
:confused: thats crazy, ive never smelled ammonia while doing cardio. Are you sure its not the cleaning fluid thats used to clean off the equipment?????

HaHa very funny. No it's not!! Read and you will see!! It usually happens to athletes that run.

pbsteve09
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
hahah im not tryin to be THAT much of a wise ass :rolleyes: :angel: lol.....yeah i read it and i can say that i never noticed anything like that with my cardio. I re-read it and at the bottom it said

The next time you smell ammonia, don't worry. It doesn't mean that your muscle tissue being broken down, and it doesn't mean that you're doomed to stink for the rest of eternity. Consume a nutritious meal immediately after exercising - a balance of lean protein and whole, unprocessed carbohydrates - and then increase your carbohydrate intake throughout the day, or add a small "snack" prior to your next workout. An apple a day can help keep the ammonia smell away!

So im assuming you have nothing to worry about like breaking down your own muscle, just get a good meal in afterwords...

muscle chic
02-10-2005, 12:59 PM
hahah im not tryin to be THAT much of a wise ass :rolleyes: :angel: lol.....yeah i read it and i can say that i never noticed anything like that with my cardio. I re-read it and at the bottom it said

The next time you smell ammonia, don't worry. It doesn't mean that your muscle tissue being broken down, and it doesn't mean that you're doomed to stink for the rest of eternity. Consume a nutritious meal immediately after exercising - a balance of lean protein and whole, unprocessed carbohydrates - and then increase your carbohydrate intake throughout the day, or add a small "snack" prior to your next workout. An apple a day can help keep the ammonia smell away!

So im assuming you have nothing to worry about like breaking down your own muscle, just get a good meal in afterwords...

I just found it interesting. ;)

pbsteve09
02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
lol i was reading it like you thought you were.....i feel like an idiot now :bang: hahah

EdgeCrusher
02-10-2005, 09:28 PM
i got that when i had either intense cardio days or did football practice in high school

Titanium_Jim
02-10-2005, 09:31 PM
I only ever got that when I did drugs.

CanadianLaxStar
02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
my lacrosse gear smells like ammonia