PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein in one meal?

millionreps
02-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Today for lunch my mom cooked freshly caught walleye, and I ate alot of it, after I went to fitday and put it in, apparently I got 90 grams of protein from the fish in one sitting, should I have mabye ate half the fish then and saved the rest for later?

snowster900
02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
No, i would think it is fine.

Adam
02-10-2005, 01:06 PM
To be optimal in using the protein it would be better to divide up the meal.
But, Its food! enjoy:)

Double D
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
:withstupi

But you can never have too much protein :strong:

malkore
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
well the body can only digest so many calories...so much protein, at one time. That's why we eat 6 meals a day for the same total calories as people eat in just three meals. Its like stoking a fire...if you throw too much wood on, you smother teh fire and it burns slowly. But if you add just one correctly sized log at proper intervals, the thing burns very hot.

At least you only over did it a little, and with a very clean protein source. Had you eaten 90grams of protein via hot dogs...I'd have to slap you. :)

Vido
02-10-2005, 02:31 PM
well the body can only digest so many calories...so much protein, at one time. That's why we eat 6 meals a day for the same total calories as people eat in just three meals. Its like stoking a fire...if you throw too much wood on, you smother teh fire and it burns slowly. But if you add just one correctly sized log at proper intervals, the thing burns very hot.

Do you have anything to back that up? My guess would be that you don't, seeing as there isn't a shred of truth in those statements.

If you can only digest so many calories at one time, what happens to the rest of them? Does the Calorie Fairy come and take them out of your body?

Your body is incredibly efficient at using what you provide it. Give it the same number of calories and same macronutrients in 3 meals vs. 6 and you won't see any difference in your physique. The reason people say to eat more frequent, smaller meals is to keep your metabolism humming. The thing is your metabolism gets elevated proportionately (or very close to it) to the amount of food you are ingesting. 3 meals = less, but larger, metabolism boosts...6 meals = more, smaller, metabolism boosts.

AdmiralDan
02-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Do you have anything to back that up? My guess would be that you don't, seeing as there isn't a shred of truth in those statements.

If you can only digest so many calories at one time, what happens to the rest of them? Does the Calorie Fairy come and take them out of your body?

Your body is incredibly efficient at using what you provide it. Give it the same number of calories and same macronutrients in 3 meals vs. 6 and you won't see any difference in your physique. The reason people say to eat more frequent, smaller meals is to keep your metabolism humming. The thing is your metabolism gets elevated proportionately (or very close to it) to the amount of food you are ingesting. 3 meals = less, but larger, metabolism boosts...6 meals = more, smaller, metabolism boosts.

go get him killer

TheGimp
02-10-2005, 04:35 PM
You da man Vido

CrazyK
02-10-2005, 06:25 PM

Your body is incredibly efficient at using what you provide it. Give it the same number of calories and same macronutrients in 3 meals vs. 6 and you won't see any difference in your physique. The reason people say to eat more frequent, smaller meals is to keep your metabolism humming. The thing is your metabolism gets elevated proportionately (or very close to it) to the amount of food you are ingesting. 3 meals = less, but larger, metabolism boosts...6 meals = more, smaller, metabolism boosts.It's more for feeling better through out the day than anything. I've tried the diet you described, and I go through ups and down through out the day, while eating 6 meals a day keeps me feeling satisfied throughout.

smalls
02-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Honestly though, the calorie fairy does exist. . my mom told me so.
Good post Vido.

Vido
02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
It's more for feeling better through out the day than anything. I've tried the diet you described, and I go through ups and down through out the day, while eating 6 meals a day keeps me feeling satisfied throughout.

Eating frequent small meals will also prevent you from overeating due to extreme hunger, so there's another benefit. My post though was merely from an aesthetics point of view.

Jensen
02-10-2005, 08:16 PM
I read that your body can only use/absorb/benefit from about 30 grams of protein in one sitting. The rest becomes waste.

Is it true? I don't know. I'm new at this. But I still prefer to split my meals up and eat every 3 hours or so. And since I'm cheap, yes, I would of split that fish up into two meals.

Vido
02-10-2005, 08:17 PM
No, it's not true, read my post above.

Isaac Wilkins
02-10-2005, 08:20 PM
It would be sweet if the body could only use so much at a sitting and the rest would disappear.

Cheese steak here I come!

(granted, the expulsion might be upsetting, but you take what you can get)

CrazyK
02-10-2005, 08:21 PM
No, it's not true, read my post above.
It depends on a lot more than how you are simplifying it. Your body will use every one of those grams of protein, yes, whether or not those grams of protein are used for tissue building, energy, or storage(fat) is another ball game.

Vido
02-10-2005, 08:36 PM
It depends on a lot more than how you are simplifying it. Your body will use every one of those grams of protein, yes, whether or not those grams of protein are used for tissue building, energy, or storage(fat) is another ball game.

That's fine, but there's no exact cut-off point either. Saying that the first 30g of protein goes to muscle-building and everything after that goes elsewhere is even less accurate.

Another thing to consider is protein vs. total calories. If you're in a caloric deficit you can be eating whatever amount of protein you want and it won't be stored as fat. Sure, not all of it will be used for tissue building, but none of it is being wasted either.

malkore
02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Edit by Adam: You better change your attitude Malkore.