PDA

View Full Version : stuck coming out of hole on squat

biggimp
02-10-2005, 10:52 PM
my squat has been doing pretty good for pretty much as long as i have been lifting. it hasnt really ever plateaued or anything. but now that i am finally getting to some big weight (for me anyways) i found my weakspot. i have the most trouble coming up out of the hole. i was finding my latest 1rm on tuesday and i put 495 on the bar. i went down good, and it took all i had to get back up just a little bit. but as soon as i hit about 4 or so inches above parallel, i shot up like a rocket and the bar was bouncing on my shoulders.

a) is this the normal weakspot?

b) what can i use to fix this?

lilmase1153
02-10-2005, 11:25 PM
thats my weak spot also.. and i believe someone told me that had a lot to do with hip flexors but i am proably wrong..

Adam
02-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Some heavy ab work and oblique work will help ALOT.
I recommend doing standing abs on the high pulley.
"Pull Down Abs: Begin by placing a rope or leather tricep handle on the lat pulldown machine. face away from the machine and grab the rope behind your head with both hands. Perform the movement in the same motion as a deadlift. Start by pushing your abs out then tighten them as hard as you can. Bend over at the waist until your torso goes below parallel to the floor. Reverse the motion in the same manner."

Adam
02-11-2005, 05:51 AM
It looks like a good am......in reverse.

bill
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
thanks for the description Adam.

~Stangzorized~
03-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Hit the box squats hard.

ozzyman
03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
yeah i've heard box squats or ATC Squats(Ass To Calves) is the best way to get rid of that week spot

HahnB
03-02-2005, 01:27 AM
I read somewhere that a good technique is to place the pins at the bottom of your squat, and put the bar with no weight on it under them and press up as hard as you can for 10-15 seconds for a few sets. It's suppose to help with the bottom part of the squat-might be worth a try.

Optimum08
03-02-2005, 06:23 PM
hmmm hahn that sounds like an interesting way of dealing with it but it sounds like it might work...i might have to try that as my weak spot is usually coming out of the hole also...

andy51
03-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Hip Flexors need to be stronger. And squeeze the glutes.

Danzavair
03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
"Some heavy ab work and oblique work will help ALOT.
I recommend doing standing abs on the high pulley."
Agreed.

I do heel squats, and I do "deep" squats (going a few inches past parallel) and give the bar a tap or bounce on the safety bars on the side, they work really good as a guide. I dropped box squat out of my workout.

bill
03-09-2005, 08:35 PM
"Some heavy ab work and oblique work will help ALOT.
I recommend doing standing abs on the high pulley."
Agreed.

I do heel squats, and I do "deep" squats (going a few inches past parallel) and give the bar a tap or bounce on the safety bars on the side, they work really good as a guide. I dropped box squat out of my workout.
Danzavair : if you could post up a vid of you hitting 405 squat at 135 That would kick butt. :clap:

Built
03-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Good mornings, and if you want to try them, seated good mornings - press hard through your heels on the way up.

I've been working through this myself. I actually went off squats for a couple of months and did some focussed quad and glute activation work - now I'm squatting again, and I'm getting out of the hole better. I had to learn how to do 'em with a narrower stance, and this is helping a lot, too.

BCC
03-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I read somewhere that a good technique is to place the pins at the bottom of your squat, and put the bar with no weight on it under them and press up as hard as you can for 10-15 seconds for a few sets. It's suppose to help with the bottom part of the squat-might be worth a try.

I used to do this with weight. It definitely helps with getting out of the hole. It's been forever since I've done them, but I recall 315 feeling impossible.

Relentless
03-10-2005, 07:06 AM
I used to do this with weight. It definitely helps with getting out of the hole. It's been forever since I've done them, but I recall 315 feeling impossible.

420x8 were the ATF squats. I did them completely raw. Nevermore got a picture of me at the bottom I think.

It would seem that you got past that. ;)