PDA

View Full Version : PWO Question

thajeepster
02-10-2005, 11:41 PM
So I usually have a whey/creatine shake with fruit mixed in pwo along with a big bowl of oats. Ive heard from many people that this is the way to go. I know there are others (ie dextrose and malto, but this works for me).

My question is, can I just make a big bowl of oatmeal, and just dump the whey and fruit into my oats? Kinda like a pwo meal instead of shake? Just curious, i was thinking this might make a very appetising pwo meal. I usually follow my normal pwo with a homemade protein bar about an hour or so later, but maybe if this is ok, I can just have a huge bowl of oats pwo that will hold me over for another 3 hours or so.

Any thoughts?

lilmase1153
02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
i dont see why not.. only thing against that maybe would be unless you w/o at home are you gonna make a bowl of that in the locker room and eat it right there? i just think a shake is more convienent but if you have access to the bowl and whatnot i dont think it would a difference..

although i could be wrong

thajeepster
02-10-2005, 11:51 PM
yeah thats what i figure... thanks

Vido
02-11-2005, 12:48 AM
A shake might get digested more quickly, but it's really not a big deal at all.

Adam
02-11-2005, 04:55 AM
i dont see why not.. only thing against that maybe would be unless you w/o at home are you gonna make a bowl of that in the locker room and eat it right there? i just think a shake is more convienent but if you have access to the bowl and whatnot i dont think it would a difference..

although i could be wrong

:withstupi

Shake is mainly for convenience(well, its for digestability, but it won't be that much of difference)
If you can make oatmeal and eat it right after a workout, go for it:thumbup:

malkore
02-11-2005, 09:38 AM
oatmeal post workout? I'd say no.
after a workout, you want to spike insulin levels, which opens the cells in the body (including muscle cells) to receive nutrients, glycogen, and creatine. Oatmeal is a complex carb, low insulin response, and slow digestion.
You really want simple carbs that digest fast and really spike insulin. Taht's why most post workout shakes contain 60-100g of maltodextrin.

thajeepster
02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I know lots of people that use low gi carbs post workout and it works fine for them. Seems to be working pretty well for me too, so it cant be too bad then right?

Adam
02-11-2005, 08:19 PM
right.
Theres better options, but oatmeal is better then nothing.

Vido
02-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Low GI vs high GI post-workout is extremely debateable. Eat your oats, you'll be just fine.