PDA

View Full Version : Skim milk v Protein powder

helpme
02-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows any disadvantages to using skim milk in a shake instead of protein powder (basically just whey protein).

In the end I need to use a bit more milk powder but the amount of protein is similar so I was just wondering whether this would be allright.

Its just that when you are paying about 8 times more for the same amount of protein powder it becomes a little bit expensive

Thanks

AdmiralDan
02-11-2005, 06:42 AM
they are rather different. milk has different protiens in it then just whey. it depends on when you are taking it. if you are taking it post workout, whey is better. otherwise, milk should be fine. also if you search the internet, you can get protein powder pretty cheap

Adam
02-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Just some info.
Milk protein is: 80%casseine, 20%whey.

helpme
02-11-2005, 09:05 AM
oh ok but in terms of skim milk powder is that still the same or are those numbers only for normal milk.

So If I am taking 50grams protein using the protein powder versus 50g using the skim milk powder are you saying that there is a difference in the end result?

helpme
02-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Ok I did some reserach and found this:

"Whey protein supplements supply a good amount of branched-chain amino acids that are important to bodybuilders since they are metabolized directly into the muscle instead of the liver like other amino acids."

However I got this from a site that sells the stuff so its hard to seperate fact from fiction.

Overall I just want to know whether my results will be diminsihed if I am not taking the high amount of whey protein

Adam
02-11-2005, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't worry about it.

malkore
02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
remember that all milk, including skim milk, contains lactose...a sugar, which counts as a carb and will spike insulin levels. that's really the only 'drawback' - unless you're lactose intolerant.

I've read stories about how Arnold used to drink a quart of milk as his post workout meal.

manowar669
02-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I've read that Arnold didn't drink ANY milk, so who knows.
Milk will give you more calories than whey for an equal amount of protein, simply because of the sugars in milk. Milk is a fine meal (except for the lactose intolerant). Even better is Cottage cheese, which has more protein, less sugars than milk. If you can't stand cottage cheese, but want the slow digesting casein it has to offer, try blending cottage cheese with a little water, sweeten with splenda and Natty PB. The best (and only real) use of whey protein is post workout (for speedy delivery).