PDA

View Full Version : Growth hormone defficiency + cutting

rofl
02-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey, I just signed up for these forums. Basic story is I'm 18, I'm through playing football, and I need to lose some weight. The complication is, I'm growth hormone defficient, meaning I have to take synthetic growth hormones (somatropin) nightly. I quit taking them for six months in 9th grade at my doctor's request and they put me back on for life, but in that time interval I gained a solid 100lbs, and with my new smaller dosage (a maintanence dosage, just to keep the IGF-1 up and prevent the whole diabetes thing), I've been gaining ever since.

My question is how I should incorporate this into a cutting plan. Does anybody have experience with artificial growth hormones? I've heard of people taking them to look younger and bulk up, and I can say firsthand that it increases muscle density, but this isn't supplemental—I don't produce any on my own. Growing up I was taking something like 120mg towards the end—I'm not sure how I got this tall on synthetic hormones but I'll take it =). Anyway, now I'm only taking 48mg and I weigh around 350 lbs, which, while it was a positive attribute on the D line, is not gonna help me later in life.

It's a shot in the dark, but does anyone know of anything I should take into consideration before cutting? Without the somatropin I lose muscle mass at an alarming rate, but if I had more it would most likely speed up my metabolism. My endocrinologist is a dickhead who doesn't know my name after 11 years, so I really can't take his word for what I should be doing. Should I expect a slower process? Should I increase my cardio? Should I talk to the doc and discuss increasing the dosage? I know it helps me gain muscle mass, that stuff is pretty easy, but I don't really know about it making me lose weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AdmiralDan
02-12-2005, 08:07 PM
i would think that you should talk to your doctor about this

rofl
02-12-2005, 08:56 PM
My doctor isn't a big help. I see him once every six months for a renewal of the prescription. I'm serious, he doesn't know my name after 11 years of seeing him, and his specialty is something like thyroid disorders. Furthermore I have to switch doctors anyway since I just turned 18 and no longer have to see a pediatric endocrinologist.

AdmiralDan
02-12-2005, 09:35 PM
then talk to your new doctor. there are some very smart people here, but if you are on prescription medication, your doctor is the one you should be talking to

Adam
02-12-2005, 09:49 PM
:withstupi
As dan said there are some really smart people here......but definatly talk this over with an actual doctor. If you don't like your current one, get a new one.