PDA

View Full Version : Laying out a diet

Hopetobefit
02-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Okay I have been lifting and getting strength gains, but weight loss has been doing nothing so I think I need to iron out a good strong diet. Does anyone know of a calorie calulator where I can see how many calories I need to maintain my weight so I can take in less? Also, as a high school student, how would I count how many calories I take in during school lunch? I guess the only way would to start taking my lunch so I know exactly what I am packing huh? How many calories should I subtract from my daily intake in order to see some steady weight loss? I am lifting weights 4 times a week and doing HIIT 2 days, so I am pretty active, just don't have very good eating habits. If I didn't give enough info just ask for it and I will be happy to give it. Thanks for any help.

-Hopetobefit

AdmiralDan
02-13-2005, 01:03 PM
there are countless calorie counters. i would reccommend doing a google search and checking what a whole bunch of them say and averaging them. that is what i did. subtract about 500 calories from your maintainence number and with a proper diet and routine you should lose about 1lb a week. but the key will be the diet. you said "just don't have very good eating habits". improve these and bring your own lunch to school. also you said you lift 4 times a day, i hope you meant you lift 4 times a week. as far as cardio, start with the two days a week that you are doing but add more if your weight loss starts to level off. it doesn't have to be HIIT either, it can be longer periods of less intense cardio

Hopetobefit
02-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, sorry about the typing error. I workout on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. HIIT on 2 of my off days, am thinking of adding in just a mile or two jog on either my other off day or on one of my leg days. I'll go check out a couple of different calorie calculators. I have read a couple of your posts on other diet questions and I plan to go read "What bodybuilders eat" right after I get out of here...=P

[edit]Also I know that a person trying to gain weight should eat 1g or more of protein for every lb they weigh. Should someone trying to lose weight do the same? In case you didn't look at sig. I am 5'10" 230lbs. if that helps with anything.

Hopetobefit
02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
I glanced at the "What a Bodybuilder eats" and I checked out the "My First Cut" at the bottom. I saw the formula to show how much calories I should be eating. It says take body weight in lbs. and multiply by 12. So for me that would be 230 x 12 = 2760.. Is that formula accurate? Is that to maintain weight or lose? If that is to lose then I should take in 460 calories at each of my 6 meals per day correct?

AdmiralDan
02-13-2005, 03:23 PM
it is relatively accurate, but depends on the person. it is supposed to be for you to lose. the best thing you can do is start with that number and see how it works. for keeping the most muscle while cutting, you should aim to lose 1 lb per week. you will lose a lot of water weight the first week

Hopetobefit
02-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Okay so I should shoot for 2760 in order to lose? I will do that for a week or two and see how it goes. If it is working i'll stick to it. If not i'll decrease. Thanks for the help.