PDA

View Full Version : Last meal right before bed...

intensity
02-14-2005, 09:27 AM
I have 2 questions about the last meal of the day right before bed. Obviously protein is important during this meal (I eat a can of tuna), but is anything else beneficial to have at this time? I can't see any real reason for carbs... but what about fat?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't fat slow down the absorption of protein? Being that this is the last time you'll be eating protein for the next 8 hours, the slower the body gets it, the better, right? If so, would a can of tuna along with a serving of peanuts be good at this time?

Part 2 of this question is, even if fat isn't really going to be beneficial during this last meal, would it be a bad thing? I'm trying to space out my fat intake more evenly, and was thinking of adding a serving of peanuts to the meal I eat right before bed.

Thanks in advance.

waynis
02-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't fat slow down the absorption of protein? Being that this is the last time you'll be eating protein for the next 8 hours, the slower the body gets it, the better, right? If so, would a can of tuna along with a serving of peanuts be good at this time?

Part 2 of this question is, even if fat isn't really going to be beneficial during this last meal, would it be a bad thing? I'm trying to space out my fat intake more evenly, and was thinking of adding a serving of peanuts to the meal I eat right before bed.

Thanks in advance.

yes fat will slow down the absorption of protein. As well as fiber. Your correct, you want that protein to digest slowly so you keep aminos from breaking down ealier. You can eat a can of tuna and peanuts but even better is a slower digesting protein like casien. Cottage cheese, milk, eggs will do the trick and last longer.

Fat will not be a bad thing as long as they are efa's and do not go over your caloric fat needs for the day. If your getting in too much fat at night then just take some out of your diet during the day. Your on the right track.

Vido
02-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro + fat = good pre-bed meal

Tuna + peanuts sounds good to me.

TheGimp
02-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Tuna would be fine, flesh is slow digesting.

malkore
02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
cottage cheese, a little non-fat, no sugar added yogurt, maybe a 1/4cup of Fiber One...and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil...that's one of my old bedtime meals that I need to get back in to.

(the yogurt is to help make the cottage cheese less nasty)

gino
02-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Carbs are OK before bed, particularly if you work out in the evening like myself.

Vido
02-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Carbs are OK before bed, particularly if you work out in the evening like myself.

"OK" and "necessary" are 2 different things. If you've just worked out then fine...if not, I don't think there's much point BUT it's not like they're going to make you fat as the myth goes.

malkore
02-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Most people don't need a ton of carbs at bedtime, but you shouldn't fear them. I think it really boils down to the individual...'are you carb sensitive?'...meaning are you pre-disposed to be a heavy set person unless you really work your ass off? if yes, then I'd try to keep carbs low in the last meal...more fiberous carb sources like veggies.