PDA

View Full Version : FINAL clarification on Dextrose

jcny19x
02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
I want to start this thread to clear up some of the inconsistencies I have found about dextrose in the archived threads. First of all, it was established by some people that it is 30-35 grams (Maki and Bradley) per 1/4 cup. Secondly, it noted that it could be 56 grams - but something about fluid ounces came into question. Then there was the whole supplement direct thing.... so how many grams are in a quarter cup? Based on what I have found when reading, I'm going to believe Maki and Bradley on this one....
Also, people have said to take dextrose Pre Workout; some have said to not take it pre workout, so what is the overall opinion on this (has to do with insulin... blah blah)? For me, I take about 1/4 cup dextr before and 1/2 cup after. Anyways, if this thread has already been covered sometime recently, I'm sorry to beat a dead horse....

crazedwombat
02-14-2005, 10:12 AM
nothing wrong with beating a dead horse as long as you make glue from it afterwards

Vapour Trails
02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
I have dextrose and analytical balances so I can determine the density for you.

During and after is when most people consume the dextrose or at least that's what Dr.Bernardi recommends. Taking it immediately prior to working out probably isn't much different that taking it during.

My own personal experience is taking all that glucose at once makes me feel kinda sick.

heathj
02-14-2005, 03:12 PM
I have a tub of dextrose from supplement direct and it says that 1/3 cup is 75g dextrose.

Genacide
02-14-2005, 03:41 PM
For myself I like to make up a Nitrean shake with 2 scoops in about 22 ounces of water and add about 1/3 cup of dextrose. I drink this during my workout (get plenty thirsty) and finish off whats felt after the workout.

Optimum08
02-14-2005, 04:24 PM
i take in about 40 g of dex/malto post workout...but im gonna up that to at least 60-80 g....but i usually don't have any carbs pre or during...i might try 20-30 g carbs pre or something maybe...

jcny19x
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I have dextrose and analytical balances so I can determine the density for you.

During and after is when most people consume the dextrose or at least that's what Dr.Bernardi recommends. Taking it immediately prior to working out probably isn't much different that taking it during.

My own personal experience is taking all that glucose at once makes me feel kinda sick.

THanks Vapour, that's really helpful

heathj
02-15-2005, 12:56 PM
on the ud2 last week, i took 150g dextrose after my workout...crazy feeling.