PDA

View Full Version : Quick oatmeal question, literally.

intensity
02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Is there a difference between regular oatmeal, and the regular instant oatmeal that comes in packets? Not the flavored ones... the ones I'm talking about come in packets that are 100 calories each, and list sugar as "less than 1 gram."

Is there any real difference between THIS non-flavored instant oatmeal, and plain old regular oatmeal? If so, which is better? And by "better" I mean... like... nutritionally. Not which tastes better.

I've always been turned off by the fact that oatmeal looks like throw-up, but I'm finally gonna give it a shot. I just wanna make sure I'm eating the better kind.

Thanks in advance.

pruneman
02-14-2005, 03:40 PM
The stuff out of the tube is best--old fashioned oats. The original flavored packets are the same stuff that comes out of the tube, but it has already been cooked and then dehydrated. It's not bad, but as far as taste and nutrition...stick with the tube. Oatmeal's good for the soul. Those who love it are at an advantage. :p

GEOFF361
02-14-2005, 04:16 PM
yah man, i just stick with the huge ass tube of quaker, more oatmeal for yer money too.

intensity
02-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. This will probably sound dumb but, how exactly do you cook old fashioned oatmeal? I know instant takes like 1 minute in the microwave, but what about old fashioned? Can that be microwaved, or can it only be cooked on a stove?

cordes
02-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I dont cook my oats, I just pour some water on them. However you cook the whole/old fashioned oats the same way as the normal oats.

Try to pick them up in the bulk food bin of the local walmart/mijer, and it will be a huge savings.