PDA

View Full Version : Runner lookng to gain...

Boo5000
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I am an avid distance runner who has gone through a long period of high mileage, losing lots of muscle and fat (though there wasn't much to lose). I have gotten down to under 3% (my caliper readings are 3, 4, 3 for pec, abs, leg). This low body fat seems to have contributed to my current injuries, so I have taken a hiatus from running for now until I am healthy.

I am 5'6", 106-107 lbs, and I would like to gain some weight back. However, I want to gain muscle as well as a little fat. I have worked out 2 days on (bi's/tri's & chest/back), 1 day off for the last two weeks, and have upped my food intake considerably (at least 2300-2500) but still haven't made any weight progress. I notice that I feel more toned and better about myself, though - but thats just not gonna cut it :).

I have a fast metabolism genetically (my dad is 42 and has never been over 6% body fat) and I seem to almost fidget off or radiate my calories...every time I overeat I notive I get warm and my heart is beating faster for a while after the meal. Also, I am in college so I guess I do a fair amount of walking or biking.

Basically, do I just begin to eat even more? Do I need more rest because of my body type? 2500 calories seems like a lot for someone my size, and I'm already having trouble eating that much.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stupendous
02-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Fix your routine. Its missing shoulders and legs.

Also, you aren't 3% BF.

AdmiralDan
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Also, you aren't 3% BF.
:withstupi

start eating everything you see

Rex
02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Basically, do I just begin to eat even more?

Yes.

Do I need more rest because of my body type?

You don't need more rest, you need more food! Your metabolism is your metabolism. No need to be less active, you need to eat enough.

2500 calories seems like a lot for someone my size, and I'm already having trouble eating that much.

2500 cals seems like allot to me too. Take in 2500 for two weeks and I think you should at least gain one pound. If not then you'll need to increase your cal intake. Raise it in small increments... + 250/day.

Boo5000
02-14-2005, 07:29 PM

Also, you aren't 3% BF.

Unfortunately, I am. I have visible striations in my arms (even shoulder), in my pectorrals, and in my glutes. It is verging on disgusting. I have had my body fat tested by caliper 3 times, one time 3 months ago at <4% and twice in the last 2 months at <3% and 2.3%.

I do shoulders on chest days sometimes. I don't do legs because of running, as I am nursing a hip injury.

Here's a picture of me before a run when I weighed 4 lbs more (110). No flexing there, lol. Needless to say I get some crazy looks when I work out...my veins are nasty and I look emaciated.

Vido
02-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Basically, do I just begin to eat even more?

Yes, A LOT more.

Do I need more rest because of my body type?

You should limit physical activity as much as possible. You want to avoid burning calories at all costs.

2500 calories seems like a lot for someone my size, and I'm already having trouble eating that much.

2500 calories is not a lot, ESPECIALLY for a distance runner. You "might" be able to get away with eating 2500 cals if you didn't run, but seeing as you do, you're going to have be downing like twice that much if you want to bulk up. Get eating man!!!

Hopetobefit
02-14-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm taking in around 2500 calories and I'm trying to lose weight. So I know you need more calories. So keep eating and good luck.

:spam: :spam: :spam:

eat..eat..eat..

Vido
02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm taking in around 2500 calories and I'm trying to lose weight. So I know you need more calories. So keep eating and good luck.

:spam: :spam: :spam:

eat..eat..eat..

You're 230, and he's 106...it's not "quite" so simple.

Vitalize
02-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Pull your pants up :)
Actually I was like you...I still love cross country and distance running but I have to limit myself to 3 (shorter) runs a week :(
I guess it comes down to which one is better for you..lifting + mass or running + staying slim.
I have made the sacrifice of serious running in favour of much shorter/faster runs to burn calories and since cutting back and bulking like hell, I have put on 20 pounds in under 2 weeks. It is possible..lift well and eat like theres no tomorrow.
Write a plan and stick to it....and 8 meals a day is paramount.
It may not seem like you are putting on weight but all of that (clean) food is going to the right places...just takes time.
You look fine in your photos...just as a runner should look..your body adjusts to what you subject it to over time. And in our case, to be fast we dont need to much mass.
Sorry to hear about your injuries...Its a real bummer when you are seriously into running.
I wish you luck and keep us all posted with your progress.
BTW try looking at some protein shakes or weight gainers...that can serously help. :) :thumbup:

Boo5000
02-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hate when I can't run...I don't even feel motivated to do other cardio. Just not the same feeling as a good run.

Here are some pics that I took in my dorm (lol). I think I am getting somewhere with the lifting. Mind you, I didn't workout previous to these...I actually just got back from a huge dinner and was stuffed. I look a little flabby ;)

Also, I have no clue how to flex. hahaha.

Vido
02-15-2005, 11:20 PM
and 8 meals a day is paramount.

# of meals is irrelevant, total calories is what matters. If more, smaller meals help him achieve that, then so be it.

It may not seem like you are putting on weight but all of that (clean) food is going to the right places...just takes time.

From a health perspective, I always recommend eating "clean" to anyone, regardless of bodytype.

From a gaining weight perspective, he can DEFINITELY can get away with eating whatever he wants.

TTT
02-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Yep, I'd just eat anything you can, really. You seriously need to gain weight, as you've said. I don't think I've been that skinny since before I was a teenager :)

Meat, spuds and veggies! :D
And if you can't take in enough, take liquid calories and/or protein.