PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you guys stay strict and not "cheat?"

fixationdarknes
02-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I can't really say that I've cheated for these 3 weeks or so that I've been eating clean. I resisted every dessert, candy, fat food, or really sugary foods. It's actually not that hard for me anymore. The first week, it was pretty hard. But now that I have my goals in line, I don't need to worry about cheating.

Do all of you guys have your cheat days?

CBrons
02-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I do not have cheat days other than holidays and special occassions (birthdays, dates, etc.) When these days do come around, I'm careful not to eat anything and everything... I try to space out my meals in accordance with my meal plan: every 3-4 hours. I also like to avoid foods that are extremely high in fat.

abwowang
02-14-2005, 10:30 PM
its tough not to!
i cheat.. definitely haha
i love cheating!

Optimum08
02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
as much as i hate to admit it...i cheat...and its worse because the lunch at schools these days are just the junkiest stuff....but i just had some caramel apple pie from costco...only a couple bites...but o so good...

Optimum08
02-14-2005, 11:06 PM
mmmmmm pie......:drooling:

Shao-LiN
02-14-2005, 11:19 PM
If I'm serious about meeting a goal, then no I don't have a cheat day. Most other times I do, though.

Stupendous
02-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't feel bad cheating when on a bulk. I cheat ~3 of 42 meals in a week (and they aren't that bad of cheats).

Next week I begin my first cut. I'm going to stay super strict (or close to) so I can reach my goals quickly and get back to bulking.

AdmiralDan
02-15-2005, 05:28 AM
i tried dieting without cheating for about a little over a month. i then changed my diet, started eating a little more and cheating on sundays, and my progress has not only not suffered but improved. if you want info on cheating, read the sticky in diet and nutrition. there is a lot of good information

akomabutisakama
02-15-2005, 08:28 AM
while bulkin no

LadyLifter
02-15-2005, 08:37 AM
i cheat but most of the time I don't over-do it. I have had my really bad cheat days too but I have to say that I'm really excited about the progress I am making...dedication to a strict diet and workout should help when your cheat day comes around. I would say try it both ways for an amount of time and see what works. Just keep your cheat days semi-decent and you should be fine.

Holto
02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
when I absolutely feel I have to cheat, I just cheat

I figure I need the cals...so far it hasn't hurt my cutting results

T_Chapman
02-15-2005, 01:18 PM
if youre dying to eat some junk food i say go for it. most likely youre not getting enough calories anyway. unless youre a model who has too maintain 5% bodyfat go for it. it will probably help your body out and motivate you to get a better workout.

no regrets
02-15-2005, 03:36 PM
I cheat once a week, usually sundays. It helps keep my body guessing and does not really affect my overall appearance. My cheat usually consists of some kind of chicken though.

snowster900
02-15-2005, 03:53 PM
chicken cheating AH! i cheat all the time but my cheat meals are usually not that bad most of the time i have waffles :) hmmm i love waffeles other than that ill have a bit of pizza here and there nothing to bad.

Vido
02-15-2005, 05:13 PM
If I'm serious about meeting a goal, then no I don't have a cheat day. Most other times I do, though.

:withstupi

fixationdarknes
02-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I read through the first few pages of the Cheating Thread. And I still don't understand how having a cheat day is actually better than not having one? So, all this time as I haven't cheated once, you're telling me that I'd have better results if I didn't try so hard to keep my diet strict? I'm so confused. I feel like I'm trying hard for nothing now. =/ Can someone please explain what a cheat day does for you? Because I can easily go without cheating. But is it good to have one even though I'm perfectly sane without one?

Adam
02-15-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm with this mindset to.
Most of the food I like the most is healthy anyway, that just kickass;)

T_Chapman
02-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I read through the first few pages of the Cheating Thread. And I still don't understand how having a cheat day is actually better than not having one? So, all this time as I haven't cheated once, you're telling me that I'd have better results if I didn't try so hard to keep my diet strict? I'm so confused. I feel like I'm trying hard for nothing now. =/ Can someone please explain what a cheat day does for you? Because I can easily go without cheating. But is it good to have one even though I'm perfectly sane without one?

its because a lot of people do not get in enough cals to maximally grow because theyre afraid to gain a little fat. my logic is that if youre feeling hungry at any time in the day youre not getting the cals your body needs to grow. but if you dont feel hungry and youre getting efficient cals dont worry about it.

thing is youre 15 yrs old. at that age you should be scarfing down anything and everything.

AdmiralDan
02-16-2005, 06:16 AM
its because a lot of people do not get in enough cals to maximally grow because theyre afraid to gain a little fat. my logic is that if youre feeling hungry at any time in the day youre not getting the cals your body needs to grow. but if you dont feel hungry and youre getting efficient cals dont worry about it.

thing is youre 15 yrs old. at that age you should be scarfing down anything and everything.

wasn't the sticky about cheating while cutting? then of course you aren't getting enough calories to maximally grow. the thread talks about cheating and how for some people, it actually helped their cutting process. they would have a refeed day and make better gains throughout the rest of the week. if i remember correctly, they say lbm gains while cutting which is great compared to the regular, cut and lose bf plus a little muscle.

fixationdarknes
02-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I still don't understand what you guys mean when you say "refeed day?"

briancurran01
02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
on some diets you HAVE to cheat to stay sane. Like psmf for example. Lyle Mcdonald recommends 2 free meals during the week. Mind you this diet on its normal days you get between 600-900 calrories pretty much from protein and that is all you get.

I have not used the cheat meals every week, but as i am getting leaner the cravings get worse. I dont go overboard though i cheat one meal and then go back to the diet the next day. There are also refeeds with this diet weekly and i try to keep them as clean as possible. I think with the addition of the 1 or 2 cheat meals a week it will keep the refeeds cleaner.

briancurran01
02-16-2005, 06:18 PM
refeed day is taking in a lot of carbs to refill your glycogen.

briancurran01
02-16-2005, 06:20 PM

for one it depends what kind of diet you are one...some people on here (like me) are on one that gives you pretty much zich carbs during the day,

and it depends how often you cheat and if you cheat a whole day or just one meal.

waynis
02-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Never cheat. I can't. I have goals.

fixationdarknes
02-16-2005, 08:18 PM

But I'm not talking about the cheating that people do to keep sane. I'm perfectly sane without cheating, but I'm talking about the cheating that is supposed to help you I guess? Briancurran was talking about refilling your glycogen. What exactly does glycogen do for you?

smalls
02-16-2005, 08:19 PM

So do I, and cheating fits into them just fine. When dieting I dont cheat, when bulking, I do.

dissipate
02-16-2005, 08:19 PM
i cheat small maybe 3-4 times a week with pieces of preserved mango or a biscuit and don't seem to cheat on full meals very often. like my cheat day is supposed to be sunday but if i'm at a restaurant i choose the healthiest food available and so that isn't really a cheat. i dunno lol. last cheat i condered big was a sticky bun (cinammon bun).

fixationdarknes
02-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I do stay very strict to my diet, but that doesn't mean that my diet is super-good in itself. There are some excess fat sources that could probably be eliminated, so what if I just sort of cheat every day, but VERY little?

waynis
02-16-2005, 08:37 PM
But I'm not talking about the cheating that people do to keep sane. I'm perfectly sane without cheating, but I'm talking about the cheating that is supposed to help you I guess? Briancurran was talking about refilling your glycogen. What exactly does glycogen do for you?

refilling because you have depleted those glycogen stores I assume?

fixationdarknes
02-16-2005, 09:31 PM
refilling because you have depleted those glycogen stores I assume?

But what does glycogen do anyway?

accuFLEX
02-17-2005, 03:49 AM
I'm perfectly sane without cheating

:withstupi

waynis
02-17-2005, 11:03 AM
But what does glycogen do anyway?

glycogen supplies immediate fuel for muscle action. sustains normal blood sugar levels. Protects cells from depressed metabolic function and injury. Without it performance will be very low.

Geeper
02-17-2005, 11:49 AM
There's also the fact that if you are dieting and lowering your cals your metabolism starts to slow down, cheat once or twice a week and it keeps your metabolism fast.

At 146 pounds, lifting regularily, and doing cardio regularly you should eat what ever you want!!!

fixationdarknes
02-17-2005, 05:34 PM
glycogen supplies immediate fuel for muscle action. sustains normal blood sugar levels. Protects cells from depressed metabolic function and injury. Without it performance will be very low.

So, you're saying that if I don't cheat, my performance will be lower than if I DO cheat? Wow, it seems like cheating isn't even so much a bad thing anymore. So, if cheating actually helps you, why is it called "cheating?" :scratch:

AdmiralDan
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
So, you're saying that if I don't cheat, my performance will be lower than if I DO cheat? Wow, it seems like cheating isn't even so much a bad thing anymore. So, if cheating actually helps you, why is it called "cheating?" :scratch:

it depends on your diet. if you get enough from your diet, you don't need a refeed

waynis
02-17-2005, 06:06 PM

NO NO NO.. It all depends on what you eat. Cheating as in high sugar desserts is never going to do good for you. Cheating as in high fat such as pizza, wings, cheesesteaks shouldn't harm you in moderation. But it also depends on your goals. The healthier foods you take in the more likely you will reach your goals faster.

i'am all confused now how glycogen got involved in cheating :scratch:

SW
02-17-2005, 06:17 PM
LEPTIN LEVELS need to be upped after several days of cutting. If they aren't, then your body starts starvation mode and it plays Hell with cutting and your health. Leptin is a chemical that regulates something or another. I was told about it by a few people here and am surprised those that know more about this than I do haven't made an appearance yet.

Ellocodetroit
02-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I decided to start my cut early instead of waiting to March. I'm doing good eating about 1000 to 1500 cal, but every time I pass a wienerscnitzle I want stop to buy some chilli fries and a chilli dog. Or I pass a crowded In-N-out burger stand and I just wanna stop to buy a double-double. I got home last night and sister bought a variety of chips, the temptation. Some how I fought it off and eat my can of tuna.

fixationdarknes
02-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Cheating as in high fat such as pizza, wings, cheesesteaks shouldn't harm you in moderation.

So, it won't hurt if done in moderation, but will it help? Btw, my goals right now are: slow clean bulk, trying to not gain too much fat. I don't mind if I do gain some fat, since I know I probably will, but I just don't want to gain lots of fat.

AdmiralDan
02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
if you are bulking, you shouldn't need a cheat day as far as keeping leptin levels up and glycogen stores filled, as they will both be taken care of with a bulking diet. but if you find that cheating once every week or every other week keeps you sane/away from crappy food the rest of the time, go ahead. it won't kill you, and may in fact help(morale, etc.)

waynis
02-17-2005, 07:59 PM
So, it won't hurt if done in moderation, but will it help? Btw, my goals right now are: slow clean bulk, trying to not gain too much fat. I don't mind if I do gain some fat, since I know I probably will, but I just don't want to gain lots of fat.

no it won't exactly help either haha. Main reason people cheat is for sanity or give into cravings. Give their mind some comfort you can say. You don't ever have to cheat. But one thing to note once you stay away from a certain type of food for a while you could experience some sort of reaction when trying it again. For example. buffalo wings destroy me any more.

ReelBigFish
02-17-2005, 09:11 PM
I decided to start my cut early instead of waiting to March. I'm doing good eating about 1000 to 1500 cal, but every time I pass a wienerscnitzle I want stop to buy some chilli fries and a chilli dog. Or I pass a crowded In-N-out burger stand and I just wanna stop to buy a double-double. I got home last night and sister bought a variety of chips, the temptation. Some how I fought it off and eat my can of tuna.
Your 165 and your only eating 1000-1500 cals a day? I think that maybe too low for your body weight.

Chubrock
02-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't think Aka (check his journal) has had a cheat meal in over 4 or 5 years, if I'm not mistaken. I think the closest thing to a cheat meal he had was eating a Subway Turkey Sub.

fixationdarknes
02-17-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't think Aka (check his journal) has had a cheat meal in over 4 or 5 years, if I'm not mistaken. I think the closest thing to a cheat meal he had was eating a Subway Turkey Sub.

Wow that's one strict mofo. He must be hardworking. I like turkey subs. Those are part of my diet. So, I probably don't need a cheat day since I have some fat already in my meals.

Lance
02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Having a cheat day has some benefits.

If you're doing low carb all week and have a cheat day on the weekends, it will refill your glycogen stores. When you low carb for a while, your muscles can become flat looking, that's from lack of glycogen and water. A cheat day will refill this, as well as a solid clean diet with carbs again would do just as well.

Cheat days are most commonly used for psychological reasons. If you stay strict for a long time, you may eventually just explode and eat all sorts of bad foods, for a couple days, weeks, etc. That one free day on the weekends (or two days, or whatever) will help you stay strict the rest of the week.

All in all though, i think cheat days are generally bad. The stricter the better. But, for instance, i decided 2 weeks ago enough with the cheat days, i'm going to tough it out. 1 week and a half later i've blew the last 2 days out of the water eating **** food. I'm going back to having a cheat day on the weekend. I used to allways go Mon-Fri diet, weekends off. I'm going to go for just Sunday for free days.

Lance
02-18-2005, 01:50 PM
For the record i think being strict all the time would be easier if i was a little older living on my own. I wouldn't buy bad foods come grocery shopping time, thus i'd only have the right stuff in my house. Living at home, i'll be eating tuna watching my family eat pizza and asking if i want any. I LOVE pizza, lol.

Whenever i do cheat, i feel like ****. I feel depressed, like i just blew it big time. Also, when eating clean all the time, when i do eat bad foods, i feel bad physically. I just don't feel as good. Especially sugary foods. The only reason i cheat is b/c it tastes so damn good, drawbacks are many in my eyes.

smalls
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
NO NO NO.. It all depends on what you eat. Cheating as in high sugar desserts is never going to do good for you. Cheating as in high fat such as pizza, wings, cheesesteaks shouldn't harm you in moderation. But it also depends on your goals. The healthier foods you take in the more likely you will reach your goals faster.

i'am all confused now how glycogen got involved in cheating :scratch:

Uh, please explain yourself bro. Most "cheats" in relation to dieting (losing bodyfat) are based around high carb intake. Why would you suggest hi fat foods would do more good.

Also people need to clarify what cheating is to them and weather they are dieting or bulking. While dieting, cheating has many benefits that have been stated in this thread and many others on the site. While bulking cheating is just a crappy way of getting your calories in, a good tasting crappy way.

waynis
02-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Uh, please explain yourself bro. Most "cheats" in relation to dieting (losing bodyfat) are based around high carb intake. Why would you suggest hi fat foods would do more good.

Also people need to clarify what cheating is to them and weather they are dieting or bulking. While dieting, cheating has many benefits that have been stated in this thread and many others on the site. While bulking cheating is just a crappy way of getting your calories in, a good tasting crappy way.

yes your right . I was just refferring to fixationdarkes comments. I was just saying how high sugar doesn't have benifets in any type of diet. whether it's bulk or cut. Higher fat on the other hand can be benificial in bulk.

fixationdarknes
02-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I eat carbs all the time, so I probably don't need a cheat day. I also eat plenty of fats...healthy fats, that is. With some pizza and fatty chicken sometimes. I guess I don't really have a scheduled cheat day. I just don't cheat a lto during each week.

smalls
02-18-2005, 07:54 PM
I eat carbs all the time, so I probably don't need a cheat day. I also eat plenty of fats...healthy fats, that is. With some pizza and fatty chicken sometimes. I guess I don't really have a scheduled cheat day. I just don't cheat a lto during each week.

It sounds like at this point you dont need a cheat day, for bulking, just keep doing what your doing and stay as clean as possible if it's working for you.

archanix
02-19-2005, 08:39 AM
it all depends what your goals are.

Hercule
02-19-2005, 09:35 AM
I always do low carb diets when cutting, so cheat days are a must for me. At my heaviest, I was ~32% BF, I did not cheat for 5 months straight. When I hit the ~15% mark, cheating was absolutely necessary to keep losing weight. I started doing refeeds every Sunday, and my progress stayed constant and also probly saved more muscle than if I hadn't cheated. This time around, my metabolism is absolutely through the roof and I am dropping weight like crazy; if not for cheat days I would lose about 5lbs. a week, some of that being muscle for sure. Nowadays I do a 36 hour carb up. I do my shoulder/back workout in the morning then from Noon Saturday til Sunday before bed I carb up. It's working great so far. So in short, yes, I cheat.

fixationdarknes
02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
I always do low carb diets when cutting, so cheat days are a must for me. At my heaviest, I was ~32% BF, I did not cheat for 5 months straight. When I hit the ~15% mark, cheating was absolutely necessary to keep losing weight. I started doing refeeds every Sunday, and my progress stayed constant and also probly saved more muscle than if I hadn't cheated. This time around, my metabolism is absolutely through the roof and I am dropping weight like crazy; if not for cheat days I would lose about 5lbs. a week, some of that being muscle for sure. Nowadays I do a 36 hour carb up. I do my shoulder/back workout in the morning then from Noon Saturday til Sunday before bed I carb up. It's working great so far. So in short, yes, I cheat.

So, on your non-cheat days, you eat pretty clean?

AdmiralDan
02-20-2005, 07:07 PM
if he didn't eat clean, wouldn't those be cheat days?

i'm not sure what exactly has been said throughout this post but for me the idea of a cheat day is for a break after a week of eating your diet(clean eating), whether for psycological or metabolic reasons. if you don't eat clean all week, you don't need a cheat day because you have been cheating all week

fixationdarknes
02-20-2005, 09:51 PM
if you don't eat clean all week, you don't need a cheat day because you have been cheating all week

That's pretty much what I do. I stay very strict to my diet, which isn't that clean in the first place. I guess that's why I'm perfectly sane without "cheating," since I cheat to some extent every day.

Thanks for the help everyone.