PDA

View Full Version : How do you motivate yourself to eat more?

spencerjrus
02-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey all, I've recently started clean bulking and so far its going good, the weight gains are very encouraging but I've been eating something like 3,500 calories a day and I'm not sure I can sustain that, it's really putting a cramp on my lifestyle having to constantly eat. I'm thinking about dropping down to something like 3000 calories, at my weight will this be enough cals to gain quickly on assuming I'm working out 5 days a week? 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off.

Shao-LiN
02-15-2005, 12:13 AM
You tell us. We aren't you, so we cannot tell you if it is enough for you to gain. Eat at 3000 calories and if you are not gaining, then you will know to adjust your calories upward.

If you are having problems eating so much, I would suggest preparing calorie dense shakes. I'm not a big fan of weight gainers any other time than post workout, but you can easily find a few recipes for high calorie shakes on this site. I believe Chris Mason points out an easy to make shake recipe using Opticen from At Large Nutrition. You may want to look into that.

AdmiralDan
02-15-2005, 05:30 AM
You tell us. We aren't you, so we cannot tell you if it is enough for you to gain. Eat at 3000 calories and if you are not gaining, then you will know to adjust your calories upward.

If you are having problems eating so much, I would suggest preparing calorie dense shakes. I'm not a big fan of weight gainers any other time than post workout, but you can easily find a few recipes for high calorie shakes on this site. I believe Chris Mason points out an easy to make shake recipe using Opticen from At Large Nutrition. You may want to look into that.
:withstupi

also, working out 5 days a week must be burning a lot of calories. what is your routine like?

Vapour Trails
02-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Eat more calorie dense foods. "Clean eating" is a sure way to stay small IMO. I've put on 9 lbs in 10 weeks eating food that would horrify most of the egg white and oat eaters, yet barely any of it has been fat and it's way, way more fun.

Holto
02-15-2005, 09:07 AM
more fiber + more water

scrutdada
02-15-2005, 09:53 AM
smoke weed.

CarlP
02-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Any suggestions for low fat, calorie dense foods Vapour Trails? That is exactly what I need.

Vapour Trails
02-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Any suggestions for low fat, calorie dense foods Vapour Trails? That is exactly what I need.

I'm not sure there are any foods that are calorie dense and low fat.

Lately I've been eating a lot of Italian food: Lasagne, chicken parmesan. Both loaded with calories and protein.

Holto
02-15-2005, 12:08 PM

why would you want low fat?

ryuage
02-15-2005, 12:24 PM
eat a jar of peanut butter that is an easy 3200 calories, how hard is it to fit 3500 calories in 3-4 meals.... not hard :)

spencerjrus
02-15-2005, 12:25 PM
:withstupi

also, working out 5 days a week must be burning a lot of calories. what is your routine like?

1st day: chest and abs
2nd day: shoulders/cardio
3rd day: arms/abs
day off
4th day: back
5th day: legs
day off

something like that, I'm still tweaking it a little trying to find what works best for bulking.

AdmiralDan
02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
mabye try to cut back the volume. i used to have a similar split and i think i am making better gains with a 3 day a week split than i did with my 5 day a week split. also why do you want to avoid fat? there are good fats that should be part of your diet

Vido
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Eat more calorie dense foods. "Clean eating" is a sure way to stay small IMO. I've put on 9 lbs in 10 weeks eating food that would horrify most of the egg white and oat eaters, yet barely any of it has been fat and it's way, way more fun.

You can eat calorie dense foods that are still "clean": olive oil, natty pb, nuts, whole eggs, etc.

darius19
02-15-2005, 06:57 PM
I love eating, I could do it all day, I dont understand how you could have this problem :) (I wish I did tho...)

CBrons
02-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Follow the Nike slogan and make it your policy on following a diet:

Just Do It!

Stop making excuses or thinking about it too much. Just follow your meal plan, workout and you'll be fine. Of course, easier said than done...

abwowang
02-15-2005, 07:32 PM
honestly?
sometimes I come on these forums and just read how motivated most of u guys are!

Optimum08
02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Don't think about if your hungry or not...or anything for that matter...create a meal plan and at each time just eat what u have planned out...soon enough it will become habit enough that u won't even think about it...

SDhick
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey all, I've recently started clean bulking and so far its going good, the weight gains are very encouraging but I've been eating something like 3,500 calories a day and I'm not sure I can sustain that, it's really putting a cramp on my lifestyle having to constantly eat. I'm thinking about dropping down to something like 3000 calories, at my weight will this be enough cals to gain quickly on assuming I'm working out 5 days a week? 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off.
I squat, and deadlift both make me very very hungry.

Shao-LiN
02-15-2005, 09:22 PM
more fiber + more water

More fiber and more water would make me more full, it would not give me motivation to eat more.

Shao-LiN
02-15-2005, 09:26 PM

There are many calorie dense foods that are clean. You may be of the few that are blessed with the genetic disposition to not put on too much fat. I, personally, can eat "dirty" and put on a good amount of fat, but I still eat that way sometimes because I love food =). Don't dissuade him from eating clean. There may be a time and place for both, but saying eating clean is a sure way to stay small is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Double D
02-15-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure there are any foods that are calorie dense and low fat.

Lately I've been eating a lot of Italian food: Lasagne, chicken parmesan. Both loaded with calories and protein.

What about Pasta. Its low in fat, Loaded with carbs, plus you can eat a lot of it before getting full.

Double D
02-15-2005, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=spencerjrus]I'm not sure I can sustain that, it's really putting a cramp on my lifestyle having to constantly eat. QUOTE]

How is eating a lot puting a cramp in your lifestlye. And droping it by 500 cals i dont see how this will reallly impact this.

spencerjrus
02-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Heres a question I've been cheating any anytime I should be getting more calories and food doesnt sound appetizing I will just drink a glass or whole milk or two, 2-3 cups, as long as I still get good amounts of other foods throughout the day is it alright to constantly drink alot of milk to keep calorie intake high?

Vido
02-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Yes

Holto
02-16-2005, 08:29 AM
More fiber and more water would make me more full, it would not give me motivation to eat more.

my logic is to increase "elimination"

of course I'm a bulking newbie having only done it once

spencerjrus
02-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Yes

ty, it seems that milk is the answer to all of my problems.

snowster900
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Try eating like 7 meals 500 calories each that should be pretty easy and drink milk ahead with it lots of milk that will up your cals and add some protein !

spencerjrus
02-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Ya thats good advice, I've just recently realized how easy it is to get 1000+ calories worth of milk in a day and that makes getting the other 2,500-3000 sooo much easier. Thanks for the help all.