PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting Problem, please help

domahmegok
02-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi,
I am kinda new to deadlifitng, haven't done that much before, but I noticed from some videos I made that I have a problem with keeping my back straight throughout the lift. It is round as it could be. Even in the start off position I can't keep my back straight, it always hunches over. Any way I can improve on this? I want to really work on this form, as I don't want to injure myself. Please help a wannabebig. Thanks

Adam
02-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Lighten the weight.

ftotti10
02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Look up as you lift, this will ensure your back is arched throughout

LadyLifter
02-15-2005, 08:40 AM
:withstupi

both of 'em...lighten the weight and focus on where the wall meets the ceiling

as you're lifting try thinking about pushing your chest out and pulling your shoulders back as opposed to straightening your back. you might find that to be an easier train of thought.

ElPietro
02-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Yeah, look up, like WAY up. Basically, think of pulling back with your head, almost leading the lift with it. Which is basically what you are trying to do anyway. Also, make sure that the bar stays as close to your legs as humanly possible throughout the entire range of motion. This will enable you to be a bit more upright with the back, and put much less stress on your lower back. Try not to lock your legs out too fast or you'll essentially be doing a stiff-legged deadlift.

domahmegok
02-15-2005, 02:20 PM
When you say look up so your back is arched throughout, does that mean it is acceptable to have a slight arch in your back? When my friends do it they all have really straight backs.

ElPietro
02-15-2005, 02:35 PM
You can have an arch, but too much of an arch isn't necessarily good either. Basically, by looking up, and puffing your chest out, you will work towards having a flat or slightly arched back. It'll be tough to actually have an arch in your back when you are deadlifting anyway, since it's a ton of weight.

Also, remember that your arms are cables, nothing more for the lift. So grip the bar, but keep your arms loose, then just before you pull, elminate the slack on your arms so when you put your strength into it, you aren't making up the slack and then jerking the weight.

Chris Rodgers
02-15-2005, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't suggest looking up. You should look straight ahead, just make sure you don't look down. Some people just aren't flexible enough to keep their back straight in that position. My back is usually rounded when I start a conventional deadlift and arched when I start a sumo deadlift. You may want to try sumo of you want a better chance of keeping it straight.

drew
02-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I agree with Chris. I always look straight ahead, not up. And always keep a tight arch in the back. In fact, every part of you should be tight.

Chrispy
02-15-2005, 04:45 PM
also remember to push your feet through the floor. look up. it helped me because it's easier to keep a straight back when leading off with your legs.

DNL
02-15-2005, 06:37 PM
wear knee-high socks or some pants. It's not really cool getting your shins and knees all scraped up.

Saint Patrick
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
wear knee-high socks or some pants. It's not really cool getting your shins and knees all scraped up.

Just think of them as battle scars.

domahmegok
02-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the help guys&gals, I'll test it out on friday and see how it goes.