PDA

View Full Version : question on mixed grips

jazer80
02-15-2005, 12:11 PM
i was wondering why mixed grip makes a lift easier. is it because you're lifting from a slightly different start or just because you focus less on grip? today i was going for a dl max, and got it up most of the way and my grip gave out. i was using a regular grip. i tried again a little bit later, with a mixed grip, and hit it. however, it actually seemed easier through the whole ROM compared to the regular grip. (i got really worked up because i missed it the first time, so that may have been it too, dunno)

pytron
02-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Mixed grip prevents the bar from rolling out of your hands because each hand is trying to roll it in the opposite direction. When you have an overhand grip on each hand the bar is free to roll (your grip must stop it). Thus you can hold more with a mixed grip than with an overhand grip. It probably felt easier through the whole ROM because you weren't working so hard on holding on to the bar. My best guess, anyway.

Guido
02-15-2005, 03:40 PM
:withstupi Well explained there, pytron. On something like DL's you don't want to be focusing energy on just holding onto the bar. Also, mixed grip is easier on your palms and fingers.

andy51
02-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Exactly.

jazer80
02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
great thanks for the help

neartaigh
02-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Should you alternate which hand is over and which is underhanded when using a mixed grip? I`ve definitely noticed that I have a habit of using my right hand for the overhand grip, and my left for the underhand when I use a mixed grip on SLDLs. Should I make more of an effort to vary it up or does it matter?

dw06wu
02-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Should you alternate which hand is over and which is underhanded when using a mixed grip? I`ve definitely noticed that I have a habit of using my right hand for the overhand grip, and my left for the underhand when I use a mixed grip on SLDLs. Should I make more of an effort to vary it up or does it matter?

I notice myself doing that as well; I think it's a right hander kinda thing. I don't think it matters, but I try to switch it up every once in a while just in case. It can't hurt, right?

Guido
02-16-2005, 10:21 AM
I switch it up.

idzeroone
02-18-2005, 03:26 PM
After reading about (and watching Chris Mason's PR on the DL - awesome lift BTW) I have tried the hook grip with both an underhand grip and a mixed grip. You sure don't have to think about your grip coming loose while performing the lift, but the pain in the thumbnails is too much except for one or two max lifts. I've heard the pain will go away. Will it?

neartaigh
02-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Ok-- so, that being said abou SLDLs...what about regular deads? Is a mixed grip forbidden? I`ve heard some folks say it`ll torque out your shoulder, but I haven`t felt any pull when I tried using a mixed grip this week.

Thoughts?

jack_of_all
02-18-2005, 04:35 PM
mixed grip forbidden on deads? other than a hook grip i cant think of anything else people use on deads. imho, and from what i hear, mixed is the best grip for these.

MixmasterNash
02-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Any underhanded grip puts your bicep is a risky position. Pull with straght arms!

pytron
02-19-2005, 03:45 AM
Any underhanded grip puts your bicep is a risky position. Pull with straght arms! I don't mean to be rude, but can you back this up with some evidence or study or anecdote? I could see how the potential for a problems is there, but I've never heard of a recommendation against a mixed grip. In almost all the literature I've read, both overhand and mixed grip are mentioned mainly with mixed grip getting the go-ahead for being able to hold more weight and overhand grip being used to make your grip stronger.

jack_of_all
02-19-2005, 02:07 PM
or you can use hook grip where your thumb is not opposed and used to support his 4 buddies...

i can provide an anecdote. i was doing mixed grip today, my bicep suddenly flexed and broke right through the skin. then the damn thing exploded like a hand grenade and nearly killed me...

you can keep straight arms with a mixed grip.

MixmasterNash
02-19-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but can you back this up with some evidence or study or anecdote? I could see how the potential for a problems is there, but I've never heard of a recommendation against a mixed grip. In almost all the literature I've read, both overhand and mixed grip are mentioned mainly with mixed grip getting the go-ahead for being able to hold more weight and overhand grip being used to make your grip stronger.

Everyone knows that an underhanded grip puts your biceps in a more dangerous position.

I said pull with straight arms, not a double overhand grip. This means do not try to pull with your arms, ie don't use your biceps to move the weight, because it is dangerous.

There's nothing wrong with mixed grip, as long as you're not rowing the weight.

Edit: Ah, I see jack answered this and provided an amusing story about explosing biceps.