PDA

View Full Version : carnation instant breAKFAST

BRIKET-HEAD
02-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I am bulking right now. I've seen these in the store and were wondering is a few of these a day would be good in a bulking diet. Heres the nutrition facts:

calories-240
total fat- 5g
saturated fat- 1g
cholesterol- 10 mg
sodium- 180 mg
potassium- 370 mg
total carbohydratess- 34g
sugars- 30g
protein- 14g

Along with a buttload of vitamins as well. I thought they would be good becuase they have a lot of calories, but do they have too much sugar? And does anyone think it would be wise for me to drink more than one a day? :scratch:

Saint Patrick
02-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Too much sugar. Not a good choice for calories.

BRIKET-HEAD
02-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Got any ideas for a good amount of calories that wont fill me up? In order for me to eat 3500 calories a day my stomach is so full I look like I'm 8 months pregnant. Also, they have instant breakfasts with lower carbs, no sugar, but only 140 calories which I think sucks.

waynis
02-15-2005, 01:36 PM
they make a low carb, low sugar version. It's sweetened with splenda and the only sugar it has in it is lactose. 12 grams. It also has 15grams of carbs.

regular carnation has too much sugar.

BRIKET-HEAD
02-15-2005, 02:56 PM
they make a low carb, low sugar version. It's sweetened with splenda and the only sugar it has in it is lactose. 12 grams. It also has 15grams of carbs.

regular carnation has too much sugar.

Do you think I would be able to have more than one of the low sugar ones per day? Also there are these Carb Well high protein cereal bars that have:

calories-140
protein- 10g
carbs- 15g
sugar- 6g
total fat- 5g

I eat about 5 of those a day. Is that a good idea?

AdmiralDan
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Got any ideas for a good amount of calories that wont fill me up? In order for me to eat 3500 calories a day my stomach is so full I look like I'm 8 months pregnant. Also, they have instant breakfasts with lower carbs, no sugar, but only 140 calories which I think sucks.

try eating solid food first. then if you need more calories, try a weight gainer shake. you can buy them premade or make them yourself. if you make them yourself, you can make the nutrient content what you need, not what someone else makes

manowar669
02-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Got milk?

no regrets
02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
the whole "looking 8 months pregnant" thing does not mean you are fat lol. It means that your stomach is just swollen from all the food you have been eating. I personally used to feel the same way at the end of the day. I think you would be better off with some whole food as well.

CBrons
02-15-2005, 03:55 PM
If this is just a powder you place in water and mix up... then the protein listed is useless because the carnation powder itself contains an incomplete amino acid profile. .. please tell me if i'm wrong here.

waynis
02-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Do you think I would be able to have more than one of the low sugar ones per day? Also there are these Carb Well high protein cereal bars that have:

calories-140
protein- 10g
carbs- 15g
sugar- 6g
total fat- 5g

I eat about 5 of those a day. Is that a good idea?

I think you need to be more concerned with getting in more solid foods and not supplement type foods. Carnation instant breakfast is for the lazy or the on the go person and it does not replace a real meal. The low sugar ones would be fine if you absolutly need the extra calories but really try to get more out of solid foods.

Progress
02-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Got milk?

:withstupi

Plus a little protein powder that turns it to chocolate milk never hurts. It's the mixing of it that's a b!tch.

BRIKET-HEAD
02-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of solid foods, its just fitting them all into my stomach thats the problem. Also I'm really not concerned with looking fat, I guess I was trying to explain that by eating close to 4000 calories worth of solid foods make it feel like I'm gonna explode. This is to the point where my clothes don't fit. I guess I'll just have to buy a moo moo or something...

Ironman15
02-16-2005, 07:25 PM
If it were up to me I say calories-in, calories-out. Sure it has some sugar in it, but it won't kill you. You're bulking, I say live a little and drink one. I wouldn't drink more then one a day. Personally I drink one every morning. There's much worse things you could be eating or drinking. People can bash this and say yea but there are better things you could eat or drink, but it's up to how clean you want to eat. Thats what it comes down to. Personally I need a little sugar to keep my sanity.

Saint Patrick
02-16-2005, 07:30 PM
If this is just a powder you place in water and mix up... then the protein listed is useless because the carnation powder itself contains an incomplete amino acid profile. .. please tell me if i'm wrong here.

Well you're correct about the amino acid profile, but it's still protein, and still counts towards daily protein & overall calorie intake.....

Shao-LiN
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Bigger picture. As long as you get varied sources of protein over the day, one meal with an "incomplete amino acid profile" is nothing.

TTT
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Well you're correct about the amino acid profile, but it's still protein, and still counts towards daily protein & overall calorie intake.....

If you don't have all the amino acids in the correct quantities at one time though, you may as well have nothing. Protein synthesis stops if even one of the essential aminos is missing. The chances of this happening during the day aren't very high, because you'll usually have something left over in your stomach (one would hope). In the morning, it might be a bit more of a problem.

Briket-Head: I'm assuming this stuff is like instant oatmeal or something? Try mixing it with plain oatmeal. That'll dilute the sugar content a bit.

BRIKET-HEAD
02-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Actually the instant breakfast is a shake. I wake up super early and don't have much time to cook, or even prepare and easy breakfast like oatmeal. I bought the low sugar ones but they have 100 fewer calories. I drive all day long and my choices for decent food are pretty limited. I keep a tupperware container full of chicken and those packages of tuna in a little fridge I have in my car. I was looking for some easy calories that wont load me up with sugar... Would some MRPs be a good idea???

ReelBigFish
02-17-2005, 03:19 PM
maybe a homemade MRP but most MRP are extremely loaded with sugar. Make your own with whey, oats, pb, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, milk and things like that.

[[[----]]]
02-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Just drink a protein shake:
3 scoops whey
1 cup Oatmeal
8oz. water
2 tbsp. Olive oil

Thats a good 700 cals or something. Drink that three times a day and theres a good bit of you cal intake right there

Teh BDK
02-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Do you have time at night to make food? If you drive long enough to need 3 meals while in your car, you can certainly make three sandwiches at night and wrap them in foil. Making three sandwiches takes under ten minutes if you do it assembly-line style. You can make tuna, turkey breast, lean roast beef, chicken breast, or hamburgers with a foreman grill if you have one. Cook the burgers while you set up the buns and you can have then assembled and wrapped in about 2 minutes after they come off the grill.
Put lettuce on both sides of the burger though, or the bun might get soggy.

The key is cooking at night for the next day, in my opinion, never cooking in the morning because, well..you just don't want to ****ing do it.

Chubrock
02-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Just go ahead and do what I do and drink close to a gallon of milk a day.