PDA

View Full Version : 3 meals vs. 5-7

hklifter
02-15-2005, 02:09 PM
has anyone here found great lean gains with 3-4 larger meals rather then 5-7 (or more) smaller ones? with school im finding it alot easyer to consume 3-4 largers meals, then a bunch of smaller ones.

Ace7644
02-15-2005, 02:30 PM
ive found really good gains with a bunch of small meals rather than 3-4 big ones, more meals speed your metabolism up and makes you build muscle faster. in my own experience i have only been able to maintain a constant weight off of 3 big meals and then when i tried 5-7 meals a day i gained 20 pounds in a month, but i was also doing an m1t cycle

ElPietro
02-15-2005, 02:41 PM
I think there have been several articles/studies basically disproving the assertion that several meals boost metabolism.

Your body digests many types of foods over several hours, so there will be tons of overlap anyway.

In my opinion how you eat is dependent on you. If your schedule only allows a few opportunities to eat, then bigger less frequent meals will fit your plan. Also, if you are perhaps trying to bulk and can't stomach all the food, you may have to spread it out throughout the day.

Some people plan for 5-7 meals a day, but might miss one or two, so will be potentially missing their caloric goals. So in the end, eat whatever way suits you and your schedule/lifestyle best, to achieve your daily goals.

Ritzol
02-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Ya, I think the main concept behind 5-7 smaller meals is to keep your metabolism at an elevated rate.

It takes about 2-4 hours for your body to completely digest the food you eat from the previous meal, so if there is a constant food supply made available for digestion you will be increasing/maintaining metabolism..while at the same time feeling full throughout the day. Most people tend to overeat at one meal or another when eating only a few times per day.

ElPietro
02-15-2005, 02:54 PM
It can last much longer than 2-4 hours from everything I've read. Even if so, it that's the case, than the 3 meal theory would still be fine, since people will usually toss in a snack or two anyway.

I think this is the most minor detail, and probably the last thing anyone should be worrying about. Ultimately, you have to eat the food, so choose whichever way is best for you to achieve it.

Vido
02-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Large meals = bigger metabolism boosts

More frequent meals = more, smaller metabolism boosts

Conclusion: # of meals is irrelevant

abwowang
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
really?
i thot the more meals u eat the better the boost is..
thats wut the studies have said.. i think..

Vido
02-15-2005, 07:44 PM
As ElP pointed out, those studies have been disproven.

smalls
02-15-2005, 08:14 PM
I think there have been several articles/studies basically disproving the assertion that several meals boost metabolism.

Your body digests many types of foods over several hours, so there will be tons of overlap anyway.

In my opinion how you eat is dependent on you. If your schedule only allows a few opportunities to eat, then bigger less frequent meals will fit your plan. Also, if you are perhaps trying to bulk and can't stomach all the food, you may have to spread it out throughout the day.

Some people plan for 5-7 meals a day, but might miss one or two, so will be potentially missing their caloric goals. So in the end, eat whatever way suits you and your schedule/lifestyle best, to achieve your daily goals.

Good post.

Shao-LiN
02-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Some people have more success with more meals, some notice no difference. Do what works for you. Personally, there is no difference between me eating 3-4 meals vs. 5-7. My progress rate remained pretty even during bulking/cutting cycles. But, I would say that you should eat no less than 3 meals.

crazedwombat
02-16-2005, 07:00 AM
if its no good why do pro builders eat 7-9 meals a day? why would they do that as opposed to eating only 3-4?

ElPietro
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Probably because it's impossible to get like 10,000 calories in 3 or 4 meals?

Plus a lot of bodybuilders train their inner pecs as well.

HahnB
02-16-2005, 07:34 AM
if its no good why do pro builders eat 7-9 meals a day? why would they do that as opposed to eating only 3-4?

Ronnie coleman eats 4 meals a day in the offseason if you watch his video.

ElPietro
02-16-2005, 07:49 AM
How many calories does a 5 gram test injection have? :p

Holto
02-16-2005, 08:22 AM
As ElP pointed out, those studies have been disproven.

even better "those studies" never existed

the first studies ever done blew the meal frequency theory out of the water

Vido
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
even better "those studies" never existed

the first studies ever done blew the meal frequency theory out of the water

Ah, that is even better then. I didn't know that, thanks.

Holto
02-16-2005, 11:33 AM
just like alot of the diet myths that "sound logical" like eating low GI

the first study on GI and weight loss shattered that idea also