PDA

View Full Version : I'm supposed to consume 1800 cals daily to BULK, does this sound right to you?

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
OK so as many of you know I'm 5'7" 105lbs guy and I'm trying to BULK (of course). I have checked many online calculators and asked a few supposed experts and apparently I'm supposed to consume my body weight x 18 to bulk up. At my weight that comes out to around 1800 cals... this seems really low to me.

everyone tells me I need to eat 3K-4K cals per day but then these calculators are telling me I need 1800 ONLY. Some people are telling me if I eat anymore than that I will gain lots of fat. Who is in the wrong here? I originally made a 3K cal diet that I really like but now im now sure if I should use it or cut back my cals to 1800 max.

What do you guys think? TIA

(i'll post my diet I made earlier in a min)

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
OK here is the diet I made.. it varies from day to day but this is mainly it:

Diet:

Workout days:

8:00am:

2 scoops N-Large2
1 Banana
1.5 tbsp flaxseed oil

11:00am

5 oz chicken breast (no skin)
1 cup carrots (raw)
1 Multi-vitamin

2:00pm

1 Protein Bar (296 cals 33g protein)
2 slices Wheat Bread

5:00pm

5 oz chicken breast (no skin)
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
1 tsp glutamine powder
1000mg vitamin c
.5 scoop Phosphagen HP

6:00pm

(workout)

post workout: carb drink (twin lab ultra fuel)
1 tsp glutamine powder
1000mg vitamin c
.5 scoop Phosphagen HP

8:00pm

2 scoops N-Large2
1 Banana
1.5 tbsp flaxseed oil

11:00pm

1 scoop precision protein
1.5 tbsp flaxseed oil
1 tsp glutamine powder
1000mg vitamin c
1000mg calcium

Sleep

Totals:

Cals: 3105
Protein: 196g
Carbs: 392g
Fats: 87g
Fiber:26g

Non-workout days
no post workout carb drink, 400 cals less

Shao-LiN
02-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Calculators can't tell you what your body will really do. You use them as a reference point and adjust as you go along. No equation will give some universal amount of kcals that will apply to everyone...they are merely there to point you in the right direction.

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Calculators can't tell you what your body will really do. You use them as a reference point and adjust as you go along. No equation will give some universal amount of kcals that will apply to everyone...they are merely there to point you in the right direction.

Ah I see, so in your opinion what should I do? Stick with the diet I made and see how I react?

SDhick
02-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Start out with the diet if you are always starving and not gaining then add 500 cals untill you do.

JTyrell710
02-15-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm 6'1-170ish, i just ate 1800 calories in under 6 hours. You'll probably need more, but try aruond 2500 and see if you gain enough or too much, then adjust by ~300 calories in either direction and see how that works. repeat until satisfied.

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm 6'1-170ish, i just ate 1800 calories in under 6 hours. You'll probably need more, but try aruond 2500 and see if you gain enough or too much, then adjust by ~300 calories in either direction and see how that works. repeat until satisfied.

that sounds resonable.. I'm assuming in the first few weeks I will gain lots of water weight and whatnot.. should I wait a couple weeks to see how the diet is really reacting to me first before I make any changes?

Cynical_Simian
02-15-2005, 09:36 PM
You've probably been eating more than 1800 calories per day for most of your life while remaining quite skinny. 3000 calories might be a bit high; the 2500 recommendation sounds a better as a starting point. Also, try to estimate what your average caloric intake has been in the past; this should give you a lower limit of what you should add 500 to to get a bulking intake.

Cynical_Simian
02-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Also, your diet plan looks good; just adjust the portion sizes after you get a better idea of an appropriate number of calories for your bulk. The only thing you might want to change is your vitamin intake. Fish oil would be a better source of EFAs than flax because it gives you EPA and DHA directly instead of the ALA in flax, which your body has to (inefficiently) convert into EPA/DHA. Also, make sure you have a good multi-vitamin...what brand are you using?

ozzyman
02-15-2005, 09:48 PM
if you are currently eating 3000 calories a day check the scales to see if youre gaining weight... aim for 1 lb a week...... add 500 cals a week until you get were yah want in terms of weight gain per week....

Patz
02-15-2005, 09:52 PM
You've probably been eating more than 1800 calories per day for most of your life while remaining quite skinny. 3000 calories might be a bit high; the 2500 recommendation sounds a better as a starting point. Also, try to estimate what your average caloric intake has been in the past; this should give you a lower limit of what you should add 500 to to get a bulking intake.

That's a great point, and I completely overlooked that fact. The formula has exceptions, and he is one.

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Also, your diet plan looks good; just adjust the portion sizes after you get a better idea of an appropriate number of calories for your bulk. The only thing you might want to change is your vitamin intake. Fish oil would be a better source of EFAs than flax because it gives you EPA and DHA directly instead of the ALA in flax, which your body has to (inefficiently) convert into EPA/DHA. Also, make sure you have a good multi-vitamin...what brand are you using?

I can change it to udos choice oil, will that work? Vitamin is twin labs one a day multi-vitamin without iron.

So I should start with 2500 cals a day then? (and 2100 on non-workout days)

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 09:56 PM
by the way I eat all kinds of crap right now and I dont really gain weight.. I eat about 6 strips a bacon per day, 1 chicken sandwich + chips, sometimes a mcdonalds 1000 cal meal, ice cream bars + candy bars, crackers, 3-5oz chicken cutlet + veggies and french fries, sometimes pizza.. been doing that for about 4 years and I havent gained a pound

Cynical_Simian
02-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Sorry about not being more specific with my EFAs comment. You should go with the fish oil instead of Udo's since, on a diet with adequate fat, omega-3s are the only EFAs you need to get from supplements (unless you plan on eating salmon every day). Getting enough of the omega-6/9 acids that Udo's contains in addition to omega-3s shouldn't be a problem on your diet.

Cynical_Simian
02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
by the way I eat all kinds of crap right now and I dont really gain weight.. I eat about 6 strips a bacon per day, 1 chicken sandwich + chips, sometimes a mcdonalds 1000 cal meal, ice cream bars + candy bars, crackers, 3-5oz chicken cutlet + veggies and french fries, sometimes pizza.. been doing that for about 4 years and I havent gained a pound

Based on this, go ahead and use the ~3000 calorie diet you posted as a starting point instead of scaling it down to 2500.

NormanNormal
02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry about not being more specific with my EFAs comment. You should go with the fish oil instead of Udo's since, on a diet with adequate fat, omega-3s are the only EFAs you need to get from supplements (unless you plan on eating salmon every day). Getting enough of the omega-6/9 acids that Udo's contains in addition to omega-3s shouldn't be a problem on your diet.

ah I see, I dont know much about these types of products..which specific product do you recommend? capsules?

Vido
02-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Those formulas are generic and are therefore aimed at the "average" person. When you start getting further and further toward each end of the spectrum (ie., really light vs. professional bber) they become even less accurate than they already are.