PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make home made PB?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-23-2001, 10:09 AM
The only place i've seen natty PB is on the net. No shop in newcastle sells it - they've all go added salt. I'd get it from the net, but i don't see sense in having a 300g £4 jar of PB being delivered to my door, so i was planning on making my own.

I can get the nuts, but what oil is best to add? I read safflower oil, but could olive oil be used? any other oils that would work or is the choice of oil merely just for flavour?

gracias.

Tryska
11-23-2001, 10:21 AM
my natty pb is just roasted peanuts and salt.

i'm thinking roasting the peanuts (you can do this in a skillet) will heat them up enough to release their own oils. then drop it in a blender and mush them up and you're all set.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-23-2001, 10:23 AM
really?

i was under the impression that you blizted the peanuts in a processor and gradually added some oil until a nice paste is formed.

well spank my ass and call me Charlie.

Tryska
11-23-2001, 10:31 AM
you shouldn't have to....peanuts have a lot of fat in them already.....i suppose if you have some skinny peanuts you could add a little canola in as you whiz it...but i don't think you'll need to do that......

kinda like tahine...(sesame seed paste). that's just plain old sesame seeds, but after mushing thm up they become pretty oily....

reso
11-23-2001, 10:37 AM
how do u eat your PB with bread? didn';t wizard say FAT and CARBS togather is bad?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-23-2001, 10:40 AM
who said anything about eating it with bread?

tina, if i just blitz the peanuts for long enough will they form their own paste?

reso
11-23-2001, 10:47 AM
i dunno,wizard said FAT AND CARBS togather bad.....
but how do u eat your pb?? i mean?? u just take a spoon?

Tryska
11-23-2001, 10:47 AM
yes sir.

just make sure to roast them first.

(and take the shells off ;) )

YatesNightBlade
11-23-2001, 11:41 AM
Why not try both. With oil ... then without. Id add some Olive Oil .... it has magical properties. ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-23-2001, 11:46 AM
I was contemplating adding almond oil, cause there's a nice taste to almonds.

Have you ever tried making your own yates?

Tryska
11-23-2001, 11:47 AM
almond oil would actually be pretty cool, chigs...i think. i wonder if olive's taste might be too heavy though?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-23-2001, 11:49 AM
well the amount of oil you add would depend on how thick or runny you wanted it.

if you make it thick, then chances are you prolly won;t have added enough olive oil to disguise the taste of the peanuts. It may even compliment it nicely, but you're right, too much olive oil = overkill.

Wizard
11-23-2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by reso
i dunno,wizard said FAT AND CARBS togather bad.....
but how do u eat your pb?? i mean?? u just take a spoon?

:nod:

w8lifter
11-23-2001, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
really?

i was under the impression that you blizted the peanuts in a processor and gradually added some oil until a nice paste is formed.

well spank my ass and call me Charlie.

LMAO...you shouldn't have to add any oil...there should be enough in the peanuts themselves. My natty p/b says "just peanuts" for the ingredients :D

Bam Bam
11-25-2001, 01:50 PM
i forget who wizard is originally but why in the hel cant you eat fats and carbs together??

YatesNightBlade
11-26-2001, 02:06 AM
Never tired it Rob. Have you had a bash yet (so to speak) ??

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-26-2001, 03:18 AM
not yet danny. Cooking gives me cravings to eat, which is not something i want nor need right now.

I'll give it a go over christmas i think.

Wizard
11-26-2001, 10:40 AM
I'm sorry but you can't make peanut butter..

the doc
11-26-2001, 10:51 AM
you can but you need a food processor

you would feed the peanuts in on the top

the doc
11-26-2001, 10:53 AM
i believe you can also use a meat grinder

Tryska
11-26-2001, 11:07 AM
without oil:

Place 1 1/2 c. peanuts or any variety nuts (leave skins on for increased fiber content) in a food processor or blender and "pulse" blend for 10 seconds at a time for about 1 minute. Add 1 T. boiling water (or 1 T. canola oil). Blend on high an additional 3 minutes (stopping every minute to push mixture back down). Try making almond butter or walnut or try macadamia nuts even... or mix them up.
(makes 1 cup)

with oil:

Unlike nuts and seeds that are digestible raw, a peanut is a legume and like other beans it requires cooking to be digestible and flavorful. Most peanuts are sold pre-roasted. However, if you have raw peanuts, roast them by spreading in a thin layer and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes for shelled peanuts, and about 25 minutes for unshelled peanuts. Stir as necessary to assure even roasting.

Or, pan toast shelled peanuts in a wok or thin sauté pan. Stir constantly over high heat until the peanuts start to turn color. Then, reduce heat to low and continue stirring for 5 minutes or until the peanuts are uniformly golden.

To make your own peanut butter process one cup roasted peanuts and 1/4 teaspoon salt (salt adds flavor, digestibility and helps keep it fresh) in a food processor, blender, meat grinder or nut butter machine until the nuts are finely ground. Add 1 tablespoon unrefined oil and continue processing until it reaches the desired degree of smoothness, adding more oil if necessary. For chunky peanut butter, stir in 1/4 cup roasted, chopped peanuts. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Makes about 3/4 cup

Budiak
11-26-2001, 12:49 PM
I fell on a bag of peanuts one night and fell asleep on it. That seemed to work.

I do believe a meat grinder will work. Best bet is a hand blender, like the kind Braun makes.

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/braunhanblen.html

Its a very good hand blender, but some of the other ones will chop up a Buick with ease. I have this one, its never given me any problems unless I try to chop ice cubes. Or children.

smalls
11-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Why not just throw some peanuts in a blender with some almonds. That worked pretty well for me. I think I added a little water but thats it.