PDA

View Full Version : cardio on an empty stomach

Adam
02-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I don't do this.
But is the supposen benefit being a low glucose/sugar level in the blood? If so, would it be the same to have fat/protein meals before cardio?
Or is it just stating the fact the cardio in the early hours of the morning jack your metabolism all day?

NaturalBuilder
02-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Benefits don't outweigh the problems with doing this.

Adam
02-16-2005, 08:42 AM
But I'm asking is that the benefit?

Roark
02-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Benefits don't outweigh the problems with doing this.

can you expand please?

dissipate
02-16-2005, 08:50 AM
i do cardio in the morning for the supposed benefit of low glucose/sugar level in the blood and so that it jacks my metabolism up though not before having a cup of tea and some protein like chicken breast. there was one time i was doing it about 5-6 days a week and i didn't notice any muscle loss.

waynis
02-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Your going to need some glucose in the beginning but once you get going you should be burning primarly fat. With low glucose in the blood your body might hit it's fat stores as energy quicker. But you gotta be careful that you don't hit into your amino acid stores. You could just eat a decent amount of fat before you run. Hour before. High fat, moderate protein meal.
i'am not positive if all the effort is worth it though.

LadyLifter
02-16-2005, 09:28 AM
i would say eat a little bit of protein but you don't want too much in your stomach either way when you run. You should eat about an hour before, and make the meal something in the way of something - high protein low fat...let it get in your system and then go run...imho

Adam
02-16-2005, 06:50 PM
So would a little meal of say 15grams of fat, 15 grams of protein be ideal for precardio on an empty stomach? Cause you wouldn't make your blood sugar go up noticeably.
Therefor you would eliminate the cons of cardio in the morning?

waynis
02-16-2005, 08:44 PM
So would a little meal of say 15grams of fat, 15 grams of protein be ideal for precardio on an empty stomach? Cause you wouldn't make your blood sugar go up noticeably.
Therefor you would eliminate the cons of cardio in the morning?

I would say that would be close to ideal. YOu could just eat a couple whole eggs. :D

Adam
02-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Cool.
I don't plan on doing it. The idea crossed my mind a couple days ago and got me thinking.

Vido
02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
But is the supposen benefit being a low glucose/sugar level in the blood? If so, would it be the same to have fat/protein meals before cardio?

I think that's basically it. You always hear that you have to do 20 minutes or so of cardio before you start using fat as a fuel source. By doing cardio in the morning, this 20 minutes is drastically reduced.

That being said, I don't particularly think it matters what type of calories are being burned (carbs or fat...obviously you don't want to be burning lean tissue). I think calories in general are what matters most.

Or is it just stating the fact the cardio in the early hours of the morning jack your metabolism all day?

Low/medium intensity cardio boosts your metabolism WHILE you're doing it. It will go back to baseline shortly thereafter. So, no that's definitely not the reason.

HIIT, on the other hand, boosts it for hours.

Praetorian
04-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Sorry to bump this up, but I got a question.

how about doing HIIT first thing in the morning on an empty stomach? Would that increase the metabolism further?

edit. bleeeih nevermind. i found what i was looking for. the search engine does miracles. :)

_8_Ball
04-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I find it funny that when people talk about "empty stomach" cardio they always say "eat something before hand"... doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose...

I've had good results just walking at a moderate pace for 30 minutes on a threadmill in the morning with nothing more then BCAA + Glutamine in me (taken then directly to cardio).

Moderate = Enough to get the hart going but nothing more... no incline... no running... I believe this approch uses FAT but limits the use of muscle for energy...

Vido
04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
I find it funny that when people talk about "empty stomach" cardio they always say "eat something before hand"... doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose...

Not totally. Having a small meal might lower the fat-burning ability of the cardio, but it might also keep you in a less catabolic state. If the latter outweighs the former then it's beneficial to do so. (I'm not saying it is, just that it could be.)

KingJustin
04-04-2005, 06:11 PM
This question is brought up a lot and it's usually worth referring to the study done on rats where it was found that if they fasted and ran they burnt a lot of muscle, whereas if they fasted, had some whey protein, and ran, then they burnt hardly any muscle while retaining the benefits of fat loss.

The Real TO
04-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Because of how intense I do my cardio there is just no way I can eat before I do my cardio workout. I might have a sip of water, but I make sure I don't put anything comprised of food into my body before I get on that row machine. Now from the minute I get off I do my ab routine, then I immediately get at least a protein shake in me, I eat about 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese, and I try if I have some in the fridge at work, to eat a fruit bowl made up of strawberries and pinnapple, and sometimes a banana to finish it off.

Now I've heard that some people disagree with this, but I've tried to do cardio after having a Nutri Grain Bar, and some fruit, and I threw it all up after my cardio session, so that's why I like feeding my body right after the cardio session.

But if you find a routine or in this case a food routine before your cardio session that works for you keep doing it. We all have different reactions to different things, I'm talking about meals here. The best advice I give to clients/friends is trial and error. See if you can handle a little snack before cardio. I'm just a wuss, and I can't take it. Just kidding. But if you don't eat before your cardio session make sure you eat right after because you need those nutrients in your body. Do what works, but always, always, always make sure you make strength training a priority in your fitness routine.

Maki Riddington
04-05-2005, 05:18 PM
The whole issue surrounding catabolism and burning muscle on an empty stomach is overplayed. The amount of muscle tissue that may be used as fuel depends on a host of factors.

However if it is a concern, an individual should look at achieving optimal blood glucose levels. Optimal blood glucose levels equates to a greater rate of work that can be performed which in turn allows for more calories to be burned and less muscle to be used as a PRIMARY source. This can be done by simply ingesting some protein before a cardio session.

Built
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Real TO - it sounds to me like you're doing HIIT. Unlike steady-state, this should NOT be done empty - but a nutrigrain bar is hardly adequate nutrition for ANY type of activity. They're glorified candy bars.

Feed HIIT the same as lifting. And if you're doing it first thing in the morning, if you can get a small whey shake with a little dextrose in it before you go, it will digest quickly and you'll get more bang for your HIIT buck.

My .02

And I'm with Maki on the excessive catabolism issue - for steady-state, moderate-intensity cardio performed first thing in the morning, empty, as long as it's not prolonged, the benefits (fat burning) outweigh the small amount of muscle catabolism involved.

Vido
04-05-2005, 08:43 PM
The whole issue surrounding catabolism and burning muscle on an empty stomach is overplayed. The amount of muscle tissue that may be used as fuel depends on a host of factors.

However if it is a concern, an individual should look at achieving optimal blood glucose levels. Optimal blood glucose levels equates to a greater rate of work that can be performed which in turn allows for more calories to be burned and less muscle to be used as a PRIMARY source. This can be done by simply ingesting some protein before a cardio session.

Speaking of overplayed, I don't think what you eat or don't eat before cardio has much effect at all as long as kept within reason (clearly eating a large pizza and then hopping on the treadmill directly after isn't the best idea). Cardio's more of a mental game; you either want it or you don't.

And I'm with Maki on the excessive catabolism issue - for steady-state, moderate-intensity cardio performed first thing in the morning, empty, as long as it's not prolonged, the benefits (fat burning) outweigh the small amount of muscle catabolism involved.

:withstupi