PDA

View Full Version : Does whey really work?

eddie500
02-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Ive heard mixed results about whey protein (just search the web for negative news about whey), however I do use it.. maybe on average a scoop a day.

But lately its becomming diffucult to keep eating high quailty protein in large amounts that I need. I went from 130 to about 145 in 3 months.. only eating roughly 1/2 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

But I want to max my weight out and strength gains..

My questions.

Does whey protein work? Have any of you really seen results when you use a lot of this stuff vs When you dont use a lot of the stuff? Im talking long term here like a month. Now I know a lot of you will claim this stuff works but have you ever really tested it out?

If I increase my whey protein consumption to 3 scoops a day.. from 1 scoop a day... what kind of difference will I notice? This is with eating say 60 grams of high quality protein from foods.

AdmiralDan
02-17-2005, 10:42 AM
first of all, a month is not long term. a year or two is long term. second, whey isn't a magical supplement that will make you get bigger. if all you eat is whey and some other protein, you won't get huge. you need both a good routine and diet. the diet determines if you get bigger or not. i would say try to imporve your diet so that you rely on whey less. also you said that you gained 15 lbs in 3 months with 1/2 g/pound of bodyweight. what else did you eat in that time? that will also have an effect on how much you grow. read that stuff on here about diet and nutrition and improve your diet. then, if you still need more protein, use whey

Anthony
02-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Whey protein is food. Does food work? You bet.

eddie500
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
first of all, a month is not long term. a year or two is long term. second, whey isn't a magical supplement that will make you get bigger. if all you eat is whey and some other protein, you won't get huge. you need both a good routine and diet. the diet determines if you get bigger or not. i would say try to imporve your diet so that you rely on whey less. also you said that you gained 15 lbs in 3 months with 1/2 g/pound of bodyweight. what else did you eat in that time? that will also have an effect on how much you grow. read that stuff on here about diet and nutrition and improve your diet. then, if you still need more protein, use whey

How do I determine if I need more protein?

AdmiralDan
02-17-2005, 01:51 PM
set up a diet, consisting of the things listed in the "what a bodybuilder eats" sticky in diet and nutrition. make sure to get about 1g of protein per pound of body weight. get 20-30% of your calories from good fats and the rest from carbs. if you find for some reason that you can't get enough protein from your diet, then supplement with whey. i am in college and live in the dorms so i rely on protein powder to get around 60 grams of protein a day. next year i plan to live in an apartment and hopefully i will only need whey for my post workout shake

as far as your daily caloric intake, it depends on whether you are cutting or bulking. find your maintainence calories(using one of the millions of calorie calculators available on the internet, or average several of them). for cutting take 500 away to start and for bulking, add 500 to start

Saint Patrick
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Whey protein is food. Does food work? You bet.

Ditto.

Beef101
02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Does whey protein work?

yes, yes it does...

protien builds muscle, whey is protien therefore whey builds muscle :strong:

Shao-LiN
02-17-2005, 09:28 PM
So many people posting like whey is some magical supplement that makes you gain muscle. You eat chicken, you get protein...you eat fish, you get protein...whey is just a quicker digesting, easier to consume form of protein.

ryuage
02-17-2005, 10:02 PM
whey is magic itll make you hyooooge

pbsteve09
02-17-2005, 10:46 PM
that is one thing i noticed, i was eating chicken and steak and i was making decent gains. But then i noticed the magic of whey, and i thought i was on gear for a while there....incredible!!! ;)