PDA

View Full Version : Confused about how many calories to eat...

WILDMILNE
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm confused if i should be eating more, less or this is about right...I'm about 177lbs, 6' tall...I used to lift a lot but now i have to be careful and can't go big (2 ruptured discs in my lower spine) and surgery last october for a cervical disc rupture. I'm currently trying to get more cut, but don't want to lose what muscle i've salvaged...

A current sample day is about like this: I've been pretty strict...the worst thing i've eaten are mini bag of pretzels or turkey on wheat from subway...and 1 diet soda per day (are these ok or not)?

Carbs: 222 g
Fat: 37g
Protein: 179g
Total Calories: 1886

Does that seem about right? The plans are work out mon, tue, thu, fri...with cardio Wed and sat...sunday will be light jiu jitsu training so some more cardio in there.

I'm getting a fair amount of headaches (only been 3 days)...but i used to drink a fair amount of alcohol and drink a lot of caffeine (both of which i've limited or cut out). I'm also fairly hungry, but i used to eat VERY poor...tons of cheese steak, pizza, bacon cheese burger types of meals.

WILDMILNE
02-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Well after a week...i've discovered i've gained a pound (i'm supposed to be cutting :-( )...yet it feels like my belt is slightly looser...could i be gaining muscle and losing fat? On the positive note, yesterday at the gym my injuries felt like they were almost gone..i felt as strong as i've been since a while before my surgery.

I've increased my cardio and am currently maintaining the 1800 - 2000 calories and see how it goes.

Any suggestions or insights if i'm going in the right or wrong direction?

Thanks.

Stupendous
02-22-2005, 08:29 AM
The headaches may be caused by the fact you are undereating (or it could be caffeine withdrawals as I used to get those).

Consuming less than 2000 calories is going to cause you to lose muscle if you keep it up.

AdmiralDan
02-22-2005, 09:03 AM
find a calorie calculator online(or average several) to find how many calories you need for maintainence. for cutting deuct 500. also, you may want to get in more fats(good ones though). fats should make up 20-30% of your calories